LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Please Help AFS | VSC | F/L Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09 | 05:11 PM
pdrr98
Driver School Candidate

Default Please Help AFS | VSC | F/L Door

Hello,

Can you help me? I own a 07 LS460L, it now has 54,000 miles and I'm having nothing but problems with this car, I bought it brand new. The Passenger side heated seat control went out at 50,400 miles along with the F/R side door (the door became stiff). I got that taken care of (what a headack with Lexus care and the dealership on trying to get this taken care of).

Here are my new problems (I would normally take it to the dealership but now I'm unemployed so money is tight:

I got my car back from the dealership a couple of days ago and everything seemed to be working perfect. This afternoon, when I started my car, there were three messages that came up on the display screen on the dashboard:

1) Check AFS System - Bring car to dealership
2) Check VSC - Bring car to dealership
3) Check ABS - Bring car to dealership

I wouldn't think they are related problems but odd on how they both popped up at the same time. Now since I'm having those issues the headings dont move the 15 degrees, the "Brake Hold" and traction control doesn't work now. Any ideas????

F/L Door
Back in June of this year I had my the front left door hinges replaced b/c the door was stiff opening and closing, they put new hinges 6 months ago and now I'm having the same problem, is anyone experiencing / experienced this problem?

I'm the only person who drives this car; I know two things for a fact:
1) The door has NEVER been opened where it was (over extended), unless the dealer did it (I’m not pointing fingers)
2) The door has never closed on the seat belt

I think the dealership should cover the part since its less than 12 months, but what about the labor, is that covered under Lexus Warranty?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by pdrr98; 12-29-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-31-09 | 02:27 PM
pdrr98
Driver School Candidate

ANY IDEAS????

Please help!
Old 12-31-09 | 02:44 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I wonder if the doors being replaced jacked up the sensors in the doors and that, somehow is throwing everything else off? maybe they pinched a wire in the door frame or other, they may all be related, they usually are somehow.

From what I know only the dealer would be able to troubleshoot the codes, you could buy a scanner tool and at least see what the issue may be, but ultimately they will have to figure this out, unless you have a good independent mechanic for Lexus in your area.
Old 12-31-09 | 06:41 PM
jmcraney

Default Electrical Problems

One of the things that you should consider as a possible cause of your electrical problems is rodents (rats, mice, squirrels etc) chewing on the wires. These critters have a propensity to chew wires. Dealerships are not always upfront about this because they are aware that the culprits may have come from their place of business or they may be accused and it is very difficult to dispute. I don't think that the hinge problem would be related to rodents.
Old 12-31-09 | 06:53 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Did the warning lights come on after refueling? If so, have your gas cap checked.
Old 12-31-09 | 10:52 PM
AceVA
Driver

I had all of those warning lights come on after I let the vehicle sit for a while and had to jump it. There was another post from someone recently who replaced the battery and said they too had the warning lights. I'm of the belief that if anything screwy happens with the electrical system, it triggers a panic mode.

I disconnected and reconnected the battery, to no avail. I had to take it to the dealer and they reset it with their computer... no charge. They also replaced the battery and bled the brakes (they claimed this is what triggered the lights) at no charge.

A personal scanner such as those at autozone isn't going to tell you anything unless its emission related (and if the CEL isn't on, it's almost certainly not) -- unfortunately, you'll need the Toyota's proprietary software and hardware to access all of the modules.

You may want to call Lexus customer care... they've been known to hand out a good will repair here and there.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-10 | 07:27 PM
pdrr98
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all of your help. I know its not the gas cap. Im thinking its a electrical problem or some kind of sensor thats tripping the computer.

I check all of the fuses related to the ABS system and their not blowen.

I guest my next step is to see if the dealer will reset the system for me.

I'll keep you guys posted, if ANYONE else has these problems, please share what your problem was and how it was fixed.

Thanks again,

Ray
Old 01-01-10 | 07:47 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

One very wierd, very remote possiblilty for the error lights on the dash could be that the "neck" between the gas cap and the gas tank may need to be replaced. This happened to me. I kept getting 'emission error codes" and replacing the "neck" part made the error light disappear. Apparenlty the threads on the gas cap and the threads on the original "neck" didn't match and caused the problem.

Might be worth asking the dealer about -- although it may not apply in your case. Good Luck.