SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Zeal Function X-coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 07:00 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zeal Function X-coilovers

Anyone have any idea how these would perform? Compared to Teins? I'm looking for a more sportier ride than a luxury ride (more like an IS300 or sportier)

Zeal

or these:

Zeal 2

EDIT:
I won't be taking the car to the track. But I do have an LS and I use it as my daily beater car, so I don't really care too much about comfort in my SC. I want this to ride like a sports car (and will be getting anti-sway bars.) If it rides as hard as a stock 350Z, I'm ok with that as long as it performs somewheres as well.

Any other coilover suggestions? Definitely want something sportier than the standard Tein CS(T).

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 04-17-10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 07:14 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

OK, so maybe no one has used them before, but does anyone know if they have a good reputation or if they are better than Teins?
Old 04-08-10, 12:33 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I think TLW and Dman had Zeal coilovers on their SC.
TLW was happy with Zeal.
However, the ones they used were made for the 2GS.
I checked Endeless Japan as well as Endless USA, but couldn't find they have any coilover application for the SC430.

As for Tein CS/CST VS whatever, your guess is as good as mine because it is impossible to find anyone here that has tried both coilovers on his sc430.

Two moderators here (genearch and pearlpower) did try Tein Flex and Billsten (both 2GS application) on their SC430, but they later switched to Tein CS and Tom's Advox (both SC430 application) respectively.
I remember both moderators said they never felt right about the car until switched to the ones specially designed for the sc430.
Old 04-08-10, 02:22 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're running 20s and a stiffer suspension, you might find the ride a little harsher than you were hoping for. i googled them to find some reviews. someone said they were stiffer than the stock suspension on his 350z. my friend has a z. and the ride in that is pretty harsh. so you may end up rattling a few filling loose.
Old 04-09-10, 12:35 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by talwang
I think TLW and Dman had Zeal coilovers on their SC.
TLW was happy with Zeal.
However, the ones they used were made for the 2GS.
I checked Endeless Japan as well as Endless USA, but couldn't find they have any coilover application for the SC430.

As for Tein CS/CST VS whatever, your guess is as good as mine because it is impossible to find anyone here that has tried both coilovers on his sc430.

Two moderators here (genearch and pearlpower) did try Tein Flex and Billsten (both 2GS application) on their SC430, but they later switched to Tein CS and Tom's Advox (both SC430 application) respectively.
I remember both moderators said they never felt right about the car until switched to the ones specially designed for the sc430.

Thanks, I remember reading about them after doing a search.
Old 04-09-10, 12:36 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
if you're running 20s and a stiffer suspension, you might find the ride a little harsher than you were hoping for. i googled them to find some reviews. someone said they were stiffer than the stock suspension on his 350z. my friend has a z. and the ride in that is pretty harsh. so you may end up rattling a few filling loose.
Good to know! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-09-10, 09:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Member TeeLex has the Zeals on his GS.. GL
Old 04-09-10, 11:03 AM
moomoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the Xs version, but i cant compare it to the tien, since have never sat in one with tien. It is more expensive and i had to cut two hole in the trunk (any ideas to make these holes look good?) I have the stock rim and bridgestone tire on (not the run flat one). It drive great whenever you are on good road like interstate 5 (drove down to LA). On bad road (lots of them in South Bay) it is a bit rough. I have mine down ~2". Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-10, 12:04 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take Zeal over Tein anyday for the SC430 application.
Old 04-09-10, 02:11 PM
talwang

There are more than 10 coilovers for the SC430 out there, but most members probably don't know their exitence.
I have never posted them (maybe a few of them years ago) because most of them are too expensive so that nobody would be interested anyway.

If you are looking for some coilovers that ride sportier than Tein CS/CST, you need to focus on the spring rates, the higher the number, the harder the ride.
The manufacturers will match and balance the dampening/spring rates for their setups, so you can just focus on the front spring rates to make your life easier.

Tein has the optional 12kg/mm and 14kg/mm springs for the CS, the standard is 10kg/mm.
I am not sure if Tein still offer the optional springs for the newer CST as well.

The discoutinued Tein CS feels firmer than Tein CST. 10kg/mm vs 7kg/mm. I can verify that because I have tried both.
If you are looking for a sportier ride, 10kg/mm to 12kg/mm is probably what you should get.
Any spring rate higher than 12kg/mm would give you a stiff ride, imho.

After running Tein CST for a few years, I find it a little too soft to my liking now.
If I could redo it again, I would get something like Ohlins or Bilstein, not the ones for the 2GS, but the ones made for the SC.
Old 04-09-10, 02:13 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by moomoo
i have the Xs version, but i cant compare it to the tien, since have never sat in one with tien. It is more expensive and i had to cut two hole in the trunk (any ideas to make these holes look good?)
You can find a small cover or cut it even bigger in order to use the one from the IS-C.
Both look clean.

Old 04-09-10, 07:20 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Thanks guys! I got a lot to think about.
Old 04-17-10, 01:51 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Thanks again for your suggestions talwang

So I am try to focus on the spring rate, as suggested.

Currenty, they offer the complete coilover kits as well as coils "specifically" for the SC430:

CST with ~7f/6r spring rate:
http://www.tein.com/products/comfort...rice_list.html

High.Tech springs with ~5f/5r:
http://www.tein.com/products/high_tech_price_list.html

S.Tech springs with ~5.5/F&R:
http://www.tein.com/products/s_tech_price_list.html

Those rates are all pretty low. If I get the entire coilover kit, I can only swap out for lower spring rates (according to their website in the links I added above) Where do I go about obtaining 12/14 stiffer springs for the CTS coilovers that you mentioned? Do I just pick one of the springs that are not "specically" for the SC430?

If you are looking for some coilovers that ride sportier than Tein CS/CST, you need to focus on the spring rates, the higher the number, the harder the ride.
The manufacturers will match and balance the dampening/spring rates for their setups, so you can just focus on the front spring rates to make your life easier.

Tein has the optional 12kg/mm and 14kg/mm springs for the CS, the standard is 10kg/mm.
I am not sure if Tein still offer the optional springs for the newer CST as well.

The discoutinued Tein CS feels firmer than Tein CST. 10kg/mm vs 7kg/mm. I can verify that because I have tried both.
If you are looking for a sportier ride, 10kg/mm to 12kg/mm is probably what you should get.
Any spring rate higher than 12kg/mm would give you a stiff ride, imho.
Old 04-17-10, 02:10 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

One more question for you talwang,

after searching for Bilstein on this site and others, it came down to this conclusion:

95-05 GS shock & spring combos will not work with our SC's, the rear shocks will be too long.

98-05 GS Coilover setups will work, how many more people do you need to confirm it? 98-05 GS 3/400 coilovers will fit our SC's

I'm not clear on this as the is an overlapping of years for the ones that do and do not work. Or maybe I don't understand - are coilovers and "shock spring combos" different? I would want to get the complete kit, not just springs. Is this what I need to order then:
Performance Suspension System, Front/Rear Part Number: F4-SS0-8301-M1 LIST PRICE: $2,222.00
I got that by doing a search at their webset for a 98 GS 400 @ http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index...id=2285&zenid=

It would be much appreciated if you could please assist me

After running Tein CST for a few years, I find it a little too soft to my liking now.
If I could redo it again, I would get something like Ohlins or Bilstein, not the ones for the 2GS, but the ones made for the SC.
Old 04-17-10, 02:13 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevsSC
I would take Zeal over Tein anyday for the SC430 application.
Which Zeals?

I won't be taking the car to the track. But I do have an LS and I use it as my daily beater car, so I don't really care too much about comfort in my SC. If it rides as hard as a stock 350Z, I'm ok with that as long as it performs somewheres as well.

Quick Reply: Zeal Function X-coilovers