Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SPC Front camber + Megan rear suspension rods install photos + results

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 11:23 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SPC Front camber + Megan rear suspension rods install photos + results

To mods: I figure this will be of interest to quite a few members here, so I started a new thread. If this should be continued in the other spc thread then go ahead and merge it for me please, thanks!

So lets get to it:

Before: is350 lowered on megan coils. horrible camber ate up my front tires @ less than 15000 miles.

Purchased all four megan arms from teamsns, IS300 SPC front camber kit from markyboy21

I tried real hard to install the megan arms on my own, but they are a real PITA to get out. So in the end I just brought everything to tommy @ musicbox in south el monte here in socal.

Here are photos of the install:
Before:

After:

Comparison of stock to SPC ball joint:

with the lock ring removed, the stock ball joint is ready to be pressed out of the upper arm:

Tommy skillfully removed the stock ball joint with no damage to the upper arm or the joint itself:

We discovered the outer lip of the upper arm needs to be shaved a bit to provide clearance for the sliding mechanism. Tommy the pro got it PERFECT:
Before:

After:

Fitted:

Photos of the joint installed:

FIRST ISx50 in the US to have adjustable front and rear camber!
Beautiful:

Alignment and front tire change were performed at King's tires in El Monte
Results:

Review:
Megan Arms: To those of you worried about increased road noise, as far as I can tell, they don't add any perceptible amount since I'm already on Megan coilovers. Ride quality doesn't really change much either, aside from the fact that the rear feels a little stiffer.

SPC front camber kit: no problems whatsoever.

So to conclude:
1. SPC IS300 ball joints part number 67525 WILL FIT the ISx50 except for AWD models [not tested].
2. Megan arms are nice
3. Chris at TeamSNS, Mark (Markyboy21), and Kings tires in El Monte are superb vendors and CL members
4. Tommy @ Musicbox (626-823-2853) in El Monte is THE MAN. If you're in socal or even norcal, I would HIGHLY suggest you go to him to get this (or any mechanical/electrical work) done. He's already got the experience and does a really professional job for a very reasonably price. Don't attempt to DIY this if you don't have the proper tools!

Andrew
Old 03-23-10, 11:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

looks great. i will definitely go this route. subscribed.
Old 03-24-10, 12:48 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the Megan arms noisy?
Old 03-24-10, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Where did the "before" numbers come from on the alignment? Were they before installing the new ball joints or are those the numbers after the install when everything was just best guess?
Old 03-24-10, 09:07 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

The before numbers are from after the install. We just eyeballed things.
Old 03-24-10, 09:40 PM
FIGS
The Maker
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

My main concern with the megan links is the inner joint. It a welded endgagement between the sperical carrier and the stud. Not a single peice design like a high quality rod end. Just be careful, a guy in isfanatics posted up pics of his is300 trac links

To replace that many links with this design I would be very cautious and inspect things frequently.

Did you really pay roughy $175 per link set?
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-24-10, 09:58 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
My main concern with the megan links is the inner joint. It a welded endgagement between the sperical carrier and the stud. Not a single peice design like a high quality rod end. Just be careful, a guy in isfanatics posted up pics of his is300 trac links

To replace that many links with this design I would be very cautious and inspect things frequently.

Did you really pay roughy $175 per link set?
WOW, that sucks.

Will you guys make something for our camber figs?
Old 03-24-10, 10:08 PM
FIGS
The Maker
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
WOW, that sucks.

Will you guys make something for our camber figs?
I have been working on it for some time. I have the rear lower control arm designed and just trying to make a decision on the eccentric peice.

This is what my solution would be...correcting on the bottom not the top.

The fewer adjustable linkages the better as if you adjust too many links you may have a resulting geometry that will not cycle clean. Also adjustable links are inherently weaker than a solid tubing section, so I would put safety as my primary concern. With multi-link suspensions, there is some reliance on the rubber bushings to allow slop in parts of the suspension travel...just so things do not bind. If everything is replaced with solid bearings they you can have stress spikes on the links.

By leaving the vertual upper pivot point alone I would hope to reduce the amount of stress on the system. If it cannot move freely with no shock installed, chances are it will fail when you are driving at some point. That is no fun.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-24-10, 10:12 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Looks promising. Keep us updated!
Old 03-25-10, 02:30 PM
tnogi
Racer

Oh whoa very nice!!

toHn
Old 03-25-10, 04:59 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me likey!!
Old 03-26-10, 07:34 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool..i'm wondering if all four megan arms are necessary to correct the camber/toe? can you get away with just using the camber arms?
Old 03-26-10, 07:45 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmnn since the suspension is interchangeable on the 2IS and 3GS I wonder if the the IS300 SPC front ball joints will fit the 3rd gen GS?
Old 03-26-10, 08:20 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

well, if the upper arm on the gs is the exact same as the is...and if the diameter of the ball joint mount is the same, then i think its worth trying. If you're really carefull and dont damage the ball joint when you press it out, you can still salvage the upper assembly in case it doesnt work. at least tommy was able to do it. give it a try, purchase an spc ball joint, take off your upper arm, do some guestimates on the ball joint mount diameter (you cant measure it for certain until you pop off the ball joint..)and then decide if you want to go all the way by pressing it out.
if it doesnt look like itll fit, at most you'll be out of the restocking fee and some labor fees (or time if you decide to try yourself)
Old 03-26-10, 09:43 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey nice writeup and pics! I was wondering how bad was the tire wear for the front vs the rear.

After getting your coils installed, did you get an alignment? Did that help much?

I'm trying to decide if I should just purchase all these before installing my coils and doing my alignment.

Quick Reply: SPC Front camber + Megan rear suspension rods install photos + results