IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Repainting my IS250 (Want your suggestions!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 07:51 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting my IS250 (Want your suggestions!)

Hey guys,

Wanted to get a few opinions from CL before I jump into it. I want to paint my car a different color than Matador Red, although I really do love the color a lot. The reason I am painting it is becauseI had the car repaired due to front end damage, paint doesn't match well. I need to replace both fenders and hood because the shop didn’t align them properly, and Ohio State Patrol will not believe me that those are the original fenders from how I bought the wrecked car, without documentation that they were not damaged, they will not pass me on inspection (they think since the fenders and hood sit literally 4mm to the right, they were replaced, incorrectly) it’s barely noticeable, you really have to stare at it for a while to notice it. So I have two choices once the new hood and fenders are on.

Choice # 1
Just repaint the car in 3R1 (Matador Red) – I would just get the original paint, make sure the color blends well. This is obviously the cheaper option, but less unique of the two.

Choice # 2
Repaint the entire car another color – I’ve been really thinking about this, and am willing to spend some money on good new paint. At first I wanted to go with a factory lexus color (8U1) which is the Ultra Sonic Blue, an IS-F and IS-C color, however I really can’t even guess how much this paint will cost (One of you chime in?). I really want to go with an electric blue color, a friend of mine has a tastefully modified Civic Si, and I’ve always loved that blue, and of course this would be the cheaper blue. I’d love a blue with some flake in it (light blue flake, or gold flake).

So what I’m looking for is suggestions for a color that I can get my car painted. I’m open to all colors, if it’s not a lexus color, post a picture of the car with the paint, and if you have a paint code as well that would awesome so I can pick out what I like and get some quotes on paint. I also plan on plan on painting my roof black, outer grill and the reflectors on the rear bumper the same color as the car at the same time.

Let’s have some fun with this, I look forward to your suggestions.
Yuriy.
Old 08-13-09, 08:01 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

Changing the color on your car over some front end damage is a bit extreme. I wouldn't even worry about the cost of the paint if you're changing the color, that's not a big factor in the overal scheme of things. The big, big cost will be because they will have to disassemble your car in order to get the color change right. I had it done a few times on some previous cars (show cars so we needed to change the looks up) and it's a ton of work - doors came off, glass, interior, everything. The big question I'd have is, how do you plan on spraying the engine bay? There's not a lot of room in there. I suppose you could mask everything off and just spray what can be seen. You could pull the motor, but that's a ton of work as well.

Have you considered painting it matador red with a bit more flair? ie, adding a pearl to it or candy? It would save you the hassle of a full color change while at the same time being different.
Old 08-13-09, 08:08 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you that it would be expensive to respray the entire car, and if it came to it, id probably leave the engine bay the way it is. Adding flake or pearl to Matador red is great idea. I do want to explore all options, really itching for blue!
Old 08-13-09, 08:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

I've always liked the Verdigris Mica they have for the LS

Old 08-13-09, 08:59 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is that if you are going for a repaint, you should do everything (door jambs, under the hood, etc.). That will add up to a very expensive paint job to do it right (my guess would be $6k plus for a really good shop). This seems like a waste to me, so I'd just get it redone in the original color.
Old 08-13-09, 09:34 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

customm unique dark colorr lol
Old 08-13-09, 09:59 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
My opinion is that if you are going for a repaint, you should do everything (door jambs, under the hood, etc.). That will add up to a very expensive paint job to do it right (my guess would be $6k plus for a really good shop). This seems like a waste to me, so I'd just get it redone in the original color.
I totally agree!!

Now if your car is an IS-F; a car we don't see on the road everyday. I think it is justifiable to repaint the entire car.
Old 08-13-09, 10:03 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

Matte black
Old 08-13-09, 10:06 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

if you have the means then repaint the car to the color you want. its just money anyways. you get money to spend it on things you like. if you wont be truly happy unless you have blue then paint it blue.
Old 08-13-09, 10:10 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Some form of Candy Red.. so you could skip painting the seams..?
Old 08-13-09, 10:13 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Truffle mica!

Old 08-13-09, 10:56 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

paint it blue, do whatever floats your boat. blue with a black top would be pretty hot =D
Old 08-13-09, 11:18 AM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

i like the F blue too, but if youre painting it anyways, why not go a little bit more custom? How about the E46 m3 light blue?

or simply get it vinyl wrap in what ever colour u want
Old 08-13-09, 05:02 PM
Lexi D
Driver

You sound like you have made up your mind on the blue. I like the idea of adding something new to your original color. You can't go wrong with a little candy in your red!
Old 08-13-09, 05:49 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FMJ IS
i like the F blue too, but if youre painting it anyways, why not go a little bit more custom? How about the E46 m3 light blue?

or simply get it vinyl wrap in what ever colour u want
wow, how much for wrapping the whole car?

Quick Reply: Repainting my IS250 (Want your suggestions!)