New & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 03:11 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New & Questions

Hey Guys,

This isn't my first Lexus (well personally it is, my boss has owned a few 400's) but I just picked up a SC300 from JDM Lexey this weekend.

It has coil overs, it's been dropped, etc, etc.

My question is going down the interstate, it sounds like there is a thumping noise from the front left wheel. The Upper and Lower Control arm are good. I've also got an issue where the steering sometime likes to "wiggle".

The first thing I thought were tie rods, UCA, etc but they all look ok. The steering rack has been covered in PS fluid for a while now so I'm guessing the bushings are worn out.

Do you think this could be the culprit?

Thanks
Tech
Attached Thumbnails New & Questions-photo.jpg  
Old 09-25-10, 03:24 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Yes.

btw, you can usually see that the steering rack bushings are shot if you get down and look at them.
Also search here for tightening front subframe assembly and sway bar end link issues.
Old 09-25-10, 03:59 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The car is so low that I can't fit my regular jack under it so I'm waiting on a new low profile to come in.
Old 09-25-10, 05:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Is this thumping regular--repetative-------are you sure you dont have a bulge in your tire------I have one in mine right now and it thumps while on the highway.
Old 09-25-10, 08:25 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I would almost say that considering he put used tires on the front but if I turn them ever so slightly to the left or right (I'm talking a 1/4 inch turn increment) then it goes away but will come back whenever it straightens back out.

It's only at high speeds I've discovered tonight.
Old 09-26-10, 08:44 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes you may have a small bulge that isnt noticed as much when the wheel is turned slightly----------you really only notice these problems at high speeds---------regular crousing in the city u wouldnt notice a thing really---unles it was a big bulge.

By the way everyone ----NEVER BUY NANKANGS----total garbage.
Old 09-26-10, 03:28 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I was going to get it up today and look at it but decided to say screw it and here's why.

I went to replace my spark plugs and spark plug wires (it didn't have a miss before hand except every so often but it did have wires starting to shred).

I pull the throttle body back, remove the coolant line, no big deal. An hour tops to replace the wires and plugs.

First mistake, pull the wires and not mark them off the dizzy cap. I don't know what I was thinking.

I put everything in, NGK IRX Plugs, "Xact OEM Wires", and had a miss. Well I obviously had the connections wrong. Fixed that and still a miss.

I pulled the throttle body and found #4 loose and not clicked down all the way. Put everything back together. Same thing...at this point I'm irritated and have the flu.

Pull everything BACK apart, and check all the wires, it's fine. Pulled the plugs, re-gapped them and put it back together. Still missing.

FML at this point, pull everything BACK apart and put the denso's back in that were already in there and putted up to the store with a miss.

Get some Denso Platinum plugs thinking maybe something was wrong, go to take it off again but this time I double checked the ONE connection I didn't check. The ignition coil to dizzy cap. Apparently even though it clicked the metal prong didn't make it's way in there all the way.

Yes, so I said screw detailing it today and screw looking at the subframe. I'll put the NGK's back in next weekend. I'm about to pound some Theraflu + Water down and pass out.