IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sound Deadening Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 09:15 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound Deadening Trunk

Has anyone placed sound deadening material in the trunk on their IS-F? Pics?

I love the sound of the open exhaust on the outside but need it a little quieter on the inside, especially when the wife drives it and when I'm driving people around for work.

I'm not sure if I should go w/ dynamat or some other brand. I want something that works well but doesn't add a ton of weight. I also want something that is easily reversible. Suggestions?
Old 11-22-10, 10:46 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used DynaMat before in my vettes and was very happy with the results. I'm considering that option again so be sure to let us know what you come up with.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 11-22-10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't tried this yet, but if/when I do, it will be stuff called B-Quiet Ultimate. Should give you the best sound deadening with the least added weight.http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

Here is an example of this stuff installed on a GS400. http://www.b-quiet.com/gs400.html
Old 11-22-10, 11:04 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks James, that just may be the answer to the drone I'm looking for.
Old 11-22-10, 11:09 AM
suka4thong
Advanced

second skin FTW!
Old 11-22-10, 11:12 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Thanks James, that just may be the answer to the drone I'm looking for.
If you do go this route, let me know how it works in combating the "drone". I was about to do this myself, but want to try the stock mufflers in place of the JoeZ mufflers to see if I like it or not. I'm certain I will no longer have any drone, but fearful I may find it too quiet. I'll be finding out December 10th.
Old 11-22-10, 02:12 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Just checked out the B-Quiet website, it looks like this is what I'll use.

Do you guys think 50 sq. ft. would be enough to do the trunk floor, lid, sides, and possibly under the rear passenger seats?

Also, is there a write-up on how to take apart the trunk?
Old 11-22-10, 02:19 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

i hope this diy on removing trunk lining might help

thanks for member ben_r_
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-install.html
Old 11-22-10, 02:49 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISThree
i hope this diy on removing trunk lining might help

thanks for member ben_r_
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-install.html
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.

Using an app (SoundLevel) on my iPhone I measured baseline dB numbers. Inside idle was around 39-40. Outside idle was around 70. Cruising drone around 2k would net high 90's and even reach 100. Most other cruising rpm's registered around 60. 1500 rpm driving got me back around 40, same as stopped idle.

Now I realize this app may not be completely accurate, but it should give me something to compare before and after.
Old 11-22-10, 05:54 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Just checked out the B-Quiet website, it looks like this is what I'll use.

Do you guys think 50 sq. ft. would be enough to do the trunk floor, lid, sides, and possibly under the rear passenger seats?

Also, is there a write-up on how to take apart the trunk?
50 sq. ft should be more than enough for what you asked for. I calculated about 40 actual sq. ft for the full trunk and under the rear seat. I decided to take the plunge myself and I ordered 24sq ft to start which I plan to line the back of the back seat from within the trunk and under the rear seat for a total estimated area of 12.23 sqft. Of course I like to watch the weight of this car and at the claimed .35lbs per sq/ft i'll only be adding about 4.28lbs of B-quiet Ultimate. If this goes well I may decide not to put the stock mufflers on in place of the JoeZ ones which would be great.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.

Using an app (SoundLevel) on my iPhone I measured baseline dB numbers. Inside idle was around 39-40. Outside idle was around 70. Cruising drone around 2k would net high 90's and even reach 100. Most other cruising rpm's registered around 60. 1500 rpm driving got me back around 40, same as stopped idle.

Now I realize this app may not be completely accurate, but it should give me something to compare before and after.
You sure about that inside idle of 39-40db!?

I had more time tonight so I decided to go out and take some more readings. I also placed the iphone on the instrument cluster right in the middle so that I could see the screen easier while keeping an eye on the road. Here are the results assumed windows up, AC off, radio off, auto-mode, non-sport.

35db Car off sitting in the garage
76db Initial cold startup in garage
63db Warm idle
73db Outside idle standing facing rear of car in between mufflers 4 ft away
84-87db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (this is very uncomfortable)
72-80db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm
80-90db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the ending is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (not pleasant!)
75-78db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.

Last edited by caymandive; 11-22-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:35 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
50 sq. ft should be more than enough for what you asked for. I calculated about 40 actual sq. ft for the full trunk and under the rear seat. I decided to take the plunge myself and I ordered 24sq ft to start which I plan to line the back of the back seat from within the trunk and under the rear seat for a total estimated area of 12.23 sqft. Of course I like to watch the weight of this car and at the claimed .35lbs per sq/ft i'll only be adding about 4.28lbs of B-quiet Ultimate. If this goes well I may decide not to put the stock mufflers on in place of the JoeZ ones which would be great.

You sure about that inside idle of 39-40db!?

I had more time tonight so I decided to go out and take some more readings. I also placed the iphone on the instrument cluster right in the middle so that I could see the screen easier while keeping an eye on the road. Here are the results assumed windows up, AC off, radio off, auto-mode, non-sport.

35db Car off sitting in the garage
76db Initial cold startup in garage
63db Warm idle
73db Outside idle standing facing rear of car in between mufflers 4 ft away
84-87db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (this is very uncomfortable)
72-80db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm
80-90db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the ending is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (not pleasant!)
75-78db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.
Did you use the same app as me? I had mine sitting on the armrest with the microphone facing the back. I'll go out tomorrow to confirm my numbers and use your scenario's to measure my car.

One thing to note is that I'm running the stock exhaust with no secondary cats and mufflers, compared to your JoeZ setup.
Old 11-23-10, 05:40 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Did you use the same app as me? I had mine sitting on the armrest with the microphone facing the back. I'll go out tomorrow to confirm my numbers and use your scenario's to measure my car.

One thing to note is that I'm running the stock exhaust with no secondary cats and mufflers, compared to your JoeZ setup.
Remember James has LT Headers as well as the JoeZ, which will significantly add to the db's.
Old 12-02-10, 06:49 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

This evening I covered the area under the rear seat. Tomorrow I'll go out and update my decibel readings to see if they changed any. Saturday I plan to then work on the back of the rear seat when I have more light and time.

Old 12-02-10, 07:02 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Nice work James! I still haven't ordered my roll yet. I had to make sure I still had money left after all the black friday shopping I did this year Looking forward to your results and I should be ordering shortly thereafter.
Old 12-02-10, 09:03 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 fuel pumps in the back?

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Trunk