Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changing from F-Sport Susp. back to Stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 06:33 PM
Duke02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing from F-Sport Susp. back to Stock

So I installed the F-Sport springs and shocks about a year ago and I think I'm going to go back to stock. I have a bad back and the way the F-Sports handle dips and humps in the road is too harsh for me. I realize this may make me a sissy, but I need a softer ride.

I guess I had a few questions. Does anybody know if the F-Sport shocks would work well for the stated goal of good ride quality with the stock springs? I'm imagining what is hurting the ride quality is the spring rate, not the shocks. If possible, I'd like to re-use the shocks since they cost a fortune

Also, is reverting back to stock the best way to go or would a set of coilovers allow for a soft ride quality that could be adjusted to stiffer if I wanted to take it on a track? This may be a stupid question, but my understanding of coilovers is that it lets you dial up/down the spring rate.

Thanks all for any input
Old 01-07-11, 07:09 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any pics of your ride? is it AWD?
Old 01-07-11, 07:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Some coilovers allow you to adjust the damping force (usually rebound for single adjustment). You cannot change spring rate unless you change the spring itself.

Not all coilovers ride soft. It's just like any other spring/shock setup because you can have soft or stiff, depending on what you go with and how well the shocks are matched to the spring. You'll find people who worship damper ***** telling you the **** can make your car ride like a Bentley at full soft and handle like a Ferrari at full stiff. Problem is most of these coils only adjust rebound when sometimes it's the compressive force that's the problem. No amount of adjustment will change that.

Anyways the point is that you can find coilovers that are soft riding, but you can also find a set that will rattle your teeth. Since you want soft, get something that comes with softer spring rates and hope to god the shocks are up to the task.
Old 01-09-11, 10:46 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Another option is adjustable shocks. Tokico is the only company I know of that makes them for the IS. Flipside posted a review recently for them on the ISF:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mper-is-f.html

Unfortunately, he just added that they are monotube, not twintube. Twin usually means a less harsh ride, from my understanding. Let us know what you do, as I've never been happy with the IS ride either.
Old 01-09-11, 11:05 AM
Duke02
Driver

Originally Posted by flektone
do you have any pics of your ride? is it AWD?
I have a IS350 RWD. I don't have any good pics of the ride height, just a few I recently took driving on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, which i can't seem to upload. As an aside, the BRP is a great drive after the leaves have fallen when nobody is on it. Be careful for the feds tho. I've heard a BRP speeding ticket is $1,000 cause it's a national park
Old 01-09-11, 11:07 AM
Duke02
Driver

Thanks for the info guys.

GSteg, I assumed that's what it was. What I had heard about coilovers seemed too good to be true.

That said, is there a set of coilovers for the 2IS that anybody knows about which are geared toward a softer ride? I imagine that would be hard to find since most aftermarket parts are geared towards performance, not comfort
Old 01-09-11, 11:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

There are plenty of brands out there that will offer a softer ride. BC Racing are decent enough with optional soft springs. The Tanabe Sustec coils seems to get favorable reviews, and the Tein CS are among the more comfortable set. How low do you want to go, and how much are you wanting spend?
Old 01-09-11, 11:45 AM
Duke02
Driver

Drop isn't a huge priority for me. The car looks nice on the f-Sports which i think is a 1-1.5" drop. Money has unfortunately become a consideration these days so probably not much more than $1500 (preferably lower of course). I guess I'd like to get a smooth ride (stock or smoother) with the ability to make it tight if i wanted to take it out to the track or for a spirited day of driving.

Another stupid question, I'm assuming if you adjust coilovers, you don't need a new alignment? I know you need an alignment when you change springs, but I'm assuming that's because you are disassembling the suspension components.
Old 01-09-11, 12:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You'll need an alignment. Anytime you change the height, you've also changed the alignment parameters. I bought myself lifetime alignment. It's a small price for me to pay considering I'm always tweaking my suspension.

The BC Racing coils are about $900-1000 shipped so they definitely fit your budget. The Tanabe are also about the same, but they come with 10/7 spring rate where as you can choose to go slightly softer with the BC.
Old 01-09-11, 07:44 PM
Duke02
Driver

Thanks GSteg. Stupid question, what are the factory spring rates for comparison?
Old 01-09-11, 07:54 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

sorry to thread jack but what is the softest spring rate for the bc coils?
Old 01-10-11, 06:57 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Duke02
Thanks GSteg. Stupid question, what are the factory spring rates for comparison?
Front: 4.6 kgf/mm or 45 N/mm
Rear: 5.2 kgf/mm or 51 N/mm

ISC has different rates. According to F-Sport docs, the 250 and 350 use the same rates.
Old 01-30-11, 06:48 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like my TEIN CS coilovers. Very comfortable city street and highway driving.