So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 04:24 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Lexus GS Makes Big Sales Impact in Japan

Some staggering numbers coming out of Japan today — according to Response, over 6,000 GS 250/350/450h models have been pre-ordered by Japanese customers, which is ten times more than the original sales goal of 600 units a month.

(Put into context, Lexus Japan sold 42,365 units in total last year, meaning that if all other models were to sell the same for 2012, 6,000 GSs would boost overall sales by 12% — and that’s just pre-orders.)

Link : http://translate.google.com/translat...tbb=1&ie=UTF-8
from lexusenthusiast.com

Some posters predicted that 4GS sales would be underwhelming, contrary to my own expectations. I know that's it still too early to gauge longterm sales success and this is only in Japan but the 4GS has gotten off to a strong start in its home country.

It would be interesting to :

1) compare this to the initial pre-orders of the 3GS in Japan
2) see the pre-orders for Lexus USA (the biggest market for Lexus)
Old 02-29-12, 04:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Hate to say it but people have a bad habit of abbreviating models here on CL. 4th Generation GS, 4th Gen GS or 2013 GS. 4GS and etc is simply being lazy. Anyways...lol

4th Gen GS is no flop. Just for reference, Longo Lexus sold 14 New GS' in less than a week. 6 of those 14 were F Sport models.
Old 02-29-12, 06:34 AM
LexFather

Good news. Lexus selling in Japan has been great, sales increasing and I think #1 last year. They got bashed to death for early struggles but they had a 3 car lineup. Now they are doing very well and the press and internet drones haven't said ****.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hate to say it but people have a bad habit of abbreviating models here on CL. 4th Generation GS, 4th Gen GS or 2013 GS. 4GS and etc is simply being lazy. Anyways...lol

4th Gen GS is no flop. Just for reference, Longo Lexus sold 14 New GS' in less than a week. 6 of those 14 were F Sport models.
Thats b/c I made up the abbreviations and I know you hate it terms 3GS etc

Lexus owns me royalties.

I also made up GSh, RXh etc...I was shocked to see it used in a 2012 Lexus brochure, they always spelled the whole name out before.
Old 02-29-12, 06:55 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see the new GS doing well in Lexus' home country. I've always thought it was a brilliant decision by TMC/Toyota to introduce Lexus to Japan, while getting rid of Toyota branded JDM models of Lexus cars. Just makes the Lexus brand better, more focused, and global, not to mention that the cars have gotten better and will continue to do so.

Now Lexus: give us the goods they enjoy in Japan and Europe and bring the triple LED and fog lights to the F Sport!! Maybe the 2014 GS will have it
Old 02-29-12, 08:30 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree with mordecai
Old 02-29-12, 09:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Not sure where that prediction came from...?? ( A few people’s opinions.. LoL)

Lexus knew this would be a global hit from the get GO..!!!

The well received "Pebble Beach Global GS Launch" this past August, is what sparked it all.

January sales suffered a bit this year. Mainly because potential Lexus buyers were indeed anticipating the release of the 4th Gen GS this month.. Many held off their new car purchases till now.

Also, the outgoing 3rd Gen GS supply has already been depleted, to almost none on the ground..
Great planning by the factory product output division.

I’m sure tomorrow's Lexus February "Sales Report" will be a nice shocker for all..

Considering they only had 23 days this month to sell the New GS Arrival..
They will probably break a record, even though it wasn't a full month..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-29-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 10:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Ya but if they make a GS 450h F-Sport imagine the outcome they would get in the USA.
Old 02-29-12, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Not sure where that prediction came from...?? ( A few people’s opinions.. LoL)

Lexus knew this would be a global hit from the get GO..!!!

The well received "Pebble Beach Global GS Launch" this past August, is what sparked it all.

January sales suffered a bit this year. Mainly because potential Lexus buyers were indeed anticipating the release of the 4th Gen GS this month.. Many held off their new car purchases till now.

Also, the outgoing 3rd Gen GS supply has already been depleted, to almost none on the ground..
Great planning by the factory product output division.

I’m sure tomorrow's Lexus February "Sales Report" will be a nice shocker for all..

Considering they only had 23 days this month to sell thie New GS Arrival..
They will probably break a record, even though it wasn't a full month..

~ Joe Z
agreed, especially after my test drive i said the car is going to sell, and i am pretty sure it's going to sell pretty hot for the first year. question is always how it's going to sustain for the next 3 years
Old 02-29-12, 02:04 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed too. If a car does not even get any interest in its first year debut then it's really sad (Acura TL?) I hope this 4th gen GS sells better then its predecessor.
Old 02-29-12, 02:10 PM
Road Rage
Driver

We got 7 including 1 F sport on the initial shipment on a Thursday and by the following Saturday all 7 were sold. Since then we've sold 2 more including an F sport. We only have 1 in stock right now.
Old 02-29-12, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agreed, especially after my test drive i said the car is going to sell, and i am pretty sure it's going to sell pretty hot for the first year. question is always how it's going to sustain for the next 3 years
i dont see why it would stop selling... they need to support it as well as IS for instance.
Old 02-29-12, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont see why it would stop selling... they need to support it as well as IS for instance.
whatever the reason could be, i am just saying that's the important thing that lexus should pay attention to instead of just the first year. good number is one thing, consistent numbers over the years is another, something that lexus hasn't been able to do on the gs
Old 02-29-12, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
whatever the reason could be, i am just saying that's the important thing that lexus should pay attention to instead of just the first year. good number is one thing, consistent numbers over the years is another, something that lexus hasn't been able to do on the gs
well lexus had 3 good years on 3GS.. which isnt bad... but then they failed to update it, which was bad.

i think this one wont become outdated anywhere soon, as it has leading infotainment, where lexus was trailing for years.
Old 02-29-12, 04:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

btw, that was only for GS250 and GS350... 6000 is a lot. It is usually high for first month in Japan, i think average is 3x the predictions (as predictions are done over the life of vehicle, not just first few months).... Consider that last year CTh sold 20k in Japan, while rest of the lineup sold 2k/month, so these are excellent numbers... GS450h will probably either match or beat them.
Old 02-29-12, 07:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well lexus had 3 good years on 3GS.. which isnt bad... but then they failed to update it, which was bad.

i think this one wont become outdated anywhere soon, as it has leading infotainment, where lexus was trailing for years.
Au contrare....it's acutally the other way around. The more unusual thew design the quicker it becomes dated.

Doing well this early in Japan is not an indication the car will be a hit.

I don't care how many people buy it, it's still unattractive. I just hope someone makes a bodykit that sweetens it up. After all is said and done, I'd prefer my favorite car company do well with all their cars....if if I don't like a particular model.

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop