Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polishing and Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 03:43 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Polishing and Waxing

I have had my car for a little over four years and during that time my only exterior car has been washing. I have never waxed, polished or applied any type of protectant. Why? I had read that the paint has "self healing" ability, i.e., the ability to self remove light scratches. From what I recall this feature lasts 5 - 7 years. My paint still looks in great condition and I see no deterioration at all. I would like to get feedback and what others have done for exterior care. As an aside, I must say that the paint quality is better than the 2015 IS and the BMW 3 series I had before the IS.
Old 05-22-23, 06:27 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Savjam
I have had my car for a little over four years and during that time my only exterior car has been washing. I have never waxed, polished or applied any type of protectant. Why? I had read that the paint has "self healing" ability, i.e., the ability to self remove light scratches. From what I recall this feature lasts 5 - 7 years. My paint still looks in great condition and I see no deterioration at all. I would like to get feedback and what others have done for exterior care. As an aside, I must say that the paint quality is better than the 2015 IS and the BMW 3 series I had before the IS.
“Self healing”? May I see that link?
Old 05-22-23, 07:16 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by msnow
“Self healing”? May I see that link?
Yes, please share that bit of miraculous nano particle tech with us.
Clay bar, sealant, wax. That’s been working for me for years and years, all by hand because I don’t trust myself with a buffer machine. We recently did my sons car (bought used, obviously neglected paint) and it made a huge difference. Of course now there’s ceramic coat and all that if you’re open to dropping a few extra bucks.
I’m in no way a pro, even novice is pushing it, but the basics are usually all that’s needed for decent results.
Old 05-22-23, 09:31 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

There no such as self healing paint. Every lexus i've seen isnt scratch free from this so call self healing paint even at dealership. I bet under the rite light a good detailer will show you all the swirl marks. Remember color like silver and white will hide swirl unless in the rite lighting. Just like black and blue will show up not even needing the rite lighting.
Old 05-23-23, 11:26 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

There are self-healing paints (& PPFs) and they generally work for light marring - assuming that the car gets enough sunlight to trigger the effect. Not sure about LSPs(wax/sealant/coat/whatever) but I'd definitely read up on polishing them before even contemplating an attempt.
Old 05-23-23, 12:47 PM
msnow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
There are self-healing paints (& PPFs) and they generally work for light marring - assuming that the car gets enough sunlight to trigger the effect. Not sure about LSPs(wax/sealant/coat/whatever) but I'd definitely read up on polishing them before even contemplating an attempt.
Yes, PPF’s advertise that they self heal minor scratches but people I know that have them say they don’t. Can you please send a link to self healing automobile paint currently in production?
Old 05-23-23, 01:58 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

After a quick google search I found this stuff is claimed to exist. Since the early 00’s multiple companies have claimed to invent this breakthrough product. What I can’t find are any real solid reviews by regular people. I call snake oil on this.
Old 05-23-23, 05:54 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

From the owners manual:
*: CFRP parts (GS F) do not have a self-restoring coat.
  1. Self-restoring coat*
    The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches

caused in a car wash etc.
    • The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
    • The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside tem- perature. The restoration time may become shorter when the coating is warmed by applying warm water.
    • Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
    • Do not use wax that contain abrasives.
Old 05-24-23, 04:45 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Interesting. Either way, my statement of clay bar, sealer, and wax (without abrasives) should still be all that’s needed.
Old 05-25-23, 08:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Claybar is an abrasive so you will be scratching your paint. it's more of a pre-polish step knowing you'll polish out the scratches after. a perforated clay towel can help you mitigate scratching if you aren't planning on polishing.

If you're happy with your paint, don't polish for the sake of polishing, especially if you don't know what you're doing. just throw down a decent sealant on it, perhaps use a clay towel beforehand. and sip on some lemonade and listen to the tunes.
Old 05-25-23, 10:09 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT
Claybar is an abrasive so you will be scratching your paint. it's more of a pre-polish step knowing you'll polish out the scratches after. a perforated clay towel can help you mitigate scratching if you aren't planning on polishing.

If you're happy with your paint, don't polish for the sake of polishing, especially if you don't know what you're doing. just throw down a decent sealant on it, perhaps use a clay towel beforehand. and sip on some lemonade and listen to the tunes.
Youre rubbing out on top of the clear coat. If you reach the actual paint you’re doing it wrong.
Old 05-25-23, 10:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Youre rubbing out on top of the clear coat. If you reach the actual paint you’re doing it wrong.
clear coat scratches. clear coat is paint.

not sure what your post means.
Old 05-25-23, 12:17 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

The clay towel has pulverized abrasives just like the clay bar, which is why lube of some sort is required for either. A sealer seals, if you seal without removing contaminants then you’re locking them in.
Old 05-25-23, 04:36 PM
msnow
Pit Crew

clear coat scratches. clear coat is paint.

not sure what your post means.
it means you can rub out with a light abrasive, use a clay bar, use a buffer (carefully) on scratches to the clear coat. They will come out but if you get down to the base coat you’re screwed.
Old 05-26-23, 09:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

it means you can rub out with a light abrasive, use a clay bar, use a buffer (carefully) on scratches to the clear coat. They will come out but if you get down to the base coat you’re screwed.
i don't think i said you can't polish out clear coat. ive been doing that over 20 years. common knowledge.

Quick Reply: Polishing and Waxing