Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Is the Mr Clean Autodry Car Wash something you'd try for 30 bucks?
yes
72.22%
no
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Mr Clean AutoDry (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 03:31 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used it a couple of times now....It actually works. The only thing is it takes quite a while...
Old 03-29-04, 03:59 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally, I would not let that product get within 10 feet of my car.

Check out the many threads on the subject at:

http://www.autopia.org/
Old 03-29-04, 07:19 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Gekko
Personally, I would not let that product get within 10 feet of my car.

Check out the many threads on the subject at:

http://www.autopia.org/
How about giving us a direct link to the thread or writing up a short summary.
Old 04-01-04, 12:04 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

i'm thinking about trying one of these..
Old 04-01-04, 07:54 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Kash
i'm thinking about trying one of these..

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-02-04, 09:08 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TGRich
Thanks for sharing
haha smartass lol j/k
so i'm gonna go price shopping for one now
Old 04-02-04, 02:02 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

nabbed it from walmart today 19 and change after tax
Old 04-03-04, 12:21 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
How about giving us a direct link to the thread or writing up a short summary.
Yes, please do that!
Old 04-04-04, 11:01 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Funny... I just finished using it a couple hours ago. So far I've used it a total of 3 times... and I doubt I will use it again. First off, the regular rinse is just one strong stream. It may be just me nitpicking, but I really don't want to have to adjust the water volume from the outlet. Most off the shelf nozzles are fully adjustable... this unit is not. It's either full power or nothing on the rinse setting. If there's one saving grace, it's the soap dispencer. I actually found this quite handy... no use for filling a bucket. As for the filtered setting: great idea, horrible execution. Even full flowing the water output is slightly better than a light mist. You pretty much have to hold the nozzle right up to the paint for the water to actually reach the car before evaporating. Even after spending about 20 minutes using this setting on the car it still left water spots all over the place. This item is a pretty good idea, but in it's first incarnation it ended up being more trouble than it's worth... give me the ol' garden hose and bucket any day.
Old 04-05-04, 08:03 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Leets
Funny... I just finished using it a couple hours ago. So far I've used it a total of 3 times... and I doubt I will use it again. First off, the regular rinse is just one strong stream. It may be just me nitpicking, but I really don't want to have to adjust the water volume from the outlet. Most off the shelf nozzles are fully adjustable... this unit is not. It's either full power or nothing on the rinse setting. If there's one saving grace, it's the soap dispencer. I actually found this quite handy... no use for filling a bucket. As for the filtered setting: great idea, horrible execution. Even full flowing the water output is slightly better than a light mist. You pretty much have to hold the nozzle right up to the paint for the water to actually reach the car before evaporating. Even after spending about 20 minutes using this setting on the car it still left water spots all over the place. This item is a pretty good idea, but in it's first incarnation it ended up being more trouble than it's worth... give me the ol' garden hose and bucket any day.

Even Funnier...
I had no water flow issues with the valves. I live in the country with a well and my water is iron filtered and softened. I don't have a lot of water pressure to start with though. I didn't see a need for changing the flow but if you do there are inexpensive plastic water valves you can buy at the garden store.

Sounds like you may have exhausted the de-ionizing filter. The original filter was only supposed to last for up to three cars, less if you have hard water. I just finished two cars and while much of the water sheeted off the finish, some areas still had water droplets. I left them and they dried without leaving ANY spots. You don't have to remove all the water droplets as the water is devoid of any minerals, thanks to the filter, and therefore dries without leaving spots. One of the cars was recently detailed and waxed with Meguiars #26 and the other was a new vehicle and had not been waxed. The results on both were good.

Your complaint that the filter setting seemed like a mist. The mist actually worked great for me. A few sweeps across the surface and most of the water sheeted off. The one thing I didn't like was the soap. Oh, it cleaned well enough but the suds seemed rather thin and wasn't as rich as my Meguiar's Gold Class Wash. OTOH, it cleaned very well and rinsed completely. The soap contains some wetting agents that help the sheeting effect. The soap left my wash mitt VERY dirty. I've never seen a mitt get this soiled with other soap products.

I thought the Mr. Clean product worked quite well and delivered on what it advertised. IMHO, this is an especially good way to wash your vehicle when the weather is cold and you don't have a lot of time. This cut in half the time needed to wash my vehicles.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-05-04 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 01:09 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Emailed Sal; he replied that there were no problems using Mr Clean but also forwarded a "review" from someone who'd done his Blue Mica 330i and was left with a film.

I'm thinking that I'll stick with Z7 and use the deionizing filter for the rinse tho haven't had a chance to do the Black Onyx RX yet and will post results when available. $20 @ MarthaMall (KMart) for the system.
Old 05-07-04, 01:20 PM
MRAD
Rookie

Well im sold; going to try one today hope it works ( I have "hard" water). I usually get streaks or spots not matter what I do, due to the water at my house, hopefully this isn't a rip-off.
Old 05-07-04, 03:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I did end up getting it and tried it. It works, sort of. I was not bothered by the low flow of the filtered water. It actually works pretty well in terms of sheeting the non-filtered water off. I tried leaving it alone and I did get a little bit of spotting. Maybe I just did not rinse the wash water completely.

Although I wash my car one section at a time, if I take too long the initial sections will have spotting. This is with "normal" washing, What this product did allow me to do is to have a longer period to wash since it controlled spotting better. It was also convenient to have everything in one unit: normal water, soap water, filtered rinse water. The soap suds does not lather that well but just enough. It also guaranteed that the soap was always clean instead of the bucket slowly getting dirty.

Now for the bad. As many has noted, it does leave a film on the paint. Of course, I tried this on my wife's SUV first and it seemed OK. I was in a pinch one day and used it on my GS. A few days later, I noticed the film on both cars but chalked it up to environmental residue until I started hearing more reports of this film remnants.

I am undecided now as to what to do with this. Washing the car is faster with this. For less than $20, it cost a little more than one car wash for my wife. (She takes it through one of those "touchless" places.) I have washed her car twice and mine once so I have definitely got my money's worth. Since I decided to restart my Zaino on my car for HIN last month, I am not using this product on the GS anymore. It actually took me 2 Dawn washes to get rid of all the film.

It is only a matter of if I get the refills to continue on my wife's SUV. They claim that to be effective, their soap has to be used and I think this is where the film is coming from. I may try some other soap with their filtered water to see if it is any better that just using regular water.

BTW - My water is pretty hard too which is why I was intrigued by this product. I have not had time to further investigate a permanent filter.
Old 06-12-04, 03:02 PM
MRAD
Rookie

Finally got it last week and tried it. This worked incredibly well, I will never use the old hose again or the automated washing machines (never used the automated washers on my car anyways, cant fit with my fat tires, lol). This system left no marks at all on my car and took very little work, I didn't even get wet washing my car, all of my friends have gone out and bought this as well, same reaction; total surprise at the effectiveness and quality of the was. 4/5 stars, -1 star becuase of the need to replace the filter and weakness of the rinse nozzle (easily overcome with a little more time on the rinse, very quick though). Found the starter kit at Home Depot at Keele and St. Clair in Toronto for $29.99 CDN. Also used this on my CR-V and have washed my cars 2x each with this without seeing any side effects, did not notice any residue, could have been the wax on my car preventing this or the wax on yours causing it.

Last edited by MRAD; 06-12-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 10:36 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I used it and I give it the big POW WOW I will continue to use this product as it saves me a TON of time and only cost me $18 at Walmart. I usually pay $15 for a single car wash but this way I can do it myself and still save some cash...nice product!

like everyone else has said, the rinse setting is very weak, but other than that it works as advertised!!

Quick Reply: Mr Clean AutoDry (Merged Threads)