Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Is the Mr Clean Autodry Car Wash something you'd try for 30 bucks?
yes
72.22%
no
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Mr Clean AutoDry (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 01:15 PM
Lexlust
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. Clean Auto Dry

Hey guys, have any of you heard of this product from Mr. Clean?

It's a car washing system that promises spot free cleaning, with no hand drying. It uses a car-wash type of unit you attach to your hose.

Mr. Clean link

What do you think?
Old 10-31-03, 02:32 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mr Clean AutoDry

I was sent a smple of this product for review, and so here it is.

Firstly, the starter kit I was given retails for $29.99 and consists of the spray trigger assembly, a deionizing filter, and a bottle of starter car soap of a special polymer formulation.

The basic premise of this system is to allow you to wash your car as normal, but the soap, combined with the deionizing filter, lets you do a final rinse and literally walk away without a single water spot or streak.

Here's the steps involved;

Trigger unit has 3 spray settings;

1.) Rinse (clear hose water)

2). Soap (sprays the special soap and water mixture)

3). Final spot free rinse position. This SHEETS the water off, and you will observe tiny round ***** of water flying into the air off your paint, weird, but kind of neat to watch. During this phase, the water runs through the special deionizing filter that is inside the trigger assembly.

The "test" car was a red 2002 Camaro SS.

The car was pre-rinsed with the "rinse only" setting, to wet it down and remove loose grit, then sprayed with the nozzle in the "Soap" setting, to distribute the special soap over the car. then washed as usual with a wash mitt with bucket. After this I thoroughly rinsed off the soap with the rinse setting again, and lastly I used the deionizing final rinse setting as instructed. During the deionized water rinse, you will clearly see the sheeting off of the water, and the "dancing" beads of water as well.

Went inside and about half an hour later the car was dry and SPOT FREE. Even the glass. I was impressed, and never touched it with a chamois or towel of any kind.

It does what it says it will.

There is a clear reservoir in the trigger assembly so you can see the soap level, and I used very little on the one vehicle despite spraying the car liberally with soap, so It appears I will get 5 or 6 washes out of a container of their "starter" shampoo. I do not know how often the deionizing filters need to be replaced, but I will have to check into this and the price, as well as the price on a larger bottle of shampoo, and it's availability on the local level.

Not a "cheap" system per se, but the fact you can wash a car like this, and literally walk away after a final rinse will certainly appeal to many people. No lint from towels, no possibility of swirls etc. and no spots or streaks, even on the glass.

I am unaware of any other similar products on the consumer level, but if anyone knows of any, I would appreciate you mentioning it here. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-31-03 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 08:51 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice writeup, I was just wondering about this after I saw the commercial the other day. Too bad this product is made by Proctor and Gamble
Old 11-02-03, 09:54 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

whats wrong with proctor and gamble? and where can i buy this?

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 11-02-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 10:09 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4

They are one of the world's largest animal testers/experimenters. I boycott them because of it. You really wouldn't believe how much of your everyday stuff is made by PG though (unfortunately).
Old 11-02-03, 10:10 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

From what I heard, proctor and gamble support the worship of the devil...But hey, its a free country...
Old 11-03-03, 04:49 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

I used something similar from Windex on my two story house to get the windows cleaned and was very disappointed. Sorry I would not try this on my car.

Still believe the hand wash with a good quality car shampoo to remove any dirt, followed by Big Blue towels to dry the Lexus to be the best.

It is work but it always gives the best results.
Old 11-11-03, 08:08 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Default Soap...

Do you have to use the "Mr. Clean" soap or can you use one of your choosing?

I think the "de-ionizing" filter is the key to the spot free rinse.

Car dealers always use "de-ionized" water to wash the cars they have on their lots.

JL
Old 11-11-03, 08:59 AM
Guitarman

The soap is a polymer modified cleaner that aids in sheeting the water off. It does have something going for it because when you rinse it, you see tiny ***** of water "dancing" off the car. Their literature says you cannot use another soap in the sprayer or it will clog, and also not sheet the water the way it does.This makes their product proprietary and requires us to buy the filters and soap from them for it to work properly.

But yes, you're correct in the de-ionizing process being key to eliminating water spotting.
Old 11-11-03, 09:06 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Guitarman,

Thanks for the response!

Does anyone know if its safe to use with Zaino?

JL
Old 11-11-03, 02:10 PM
Guitarman

The literature that was sent to me says emphatically "will not strip wax!" , so being that Zaino is more durable than wax, It's going to be fine I believe.The "test" car was a Zaino protected vehicle FWIW. If I find out otherwise with the use of the product, i will let everyone know.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-11-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 06:52 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Default Guitarman

NICE! I'm sold! Its a great product for those occasional times where you don't have a lot of time to wash your car.
Old 11-12-03, 11:23 AM
Guitarman

Here's some more info on the soap and filters from the distributer;

You wondered about the "mileage" for the soap and filter. The starter soap and filter are supposed to last three washes. It depends on usage (if you overuse the soap and over-do the AutoDry spray, you can get fewer uses, although it doesn't sound like you did). Secondly, the quality of your water also affects the filter usage. If there are more impurities to remove, the filter will get used up faster. If your water is good, you will get more uses. That's just for the starter filters and soap. The refill filters and soap are good for about 10 washes, with the same caveats above.

The starter filters do not have a usage indicator to tell you when to switch, so stop after three. The refill filters do have a usage indicator -- the purple stuff that shows through the window on the handle turns brown. When that happens, it's done. In stores beginning about February, the starter kit will sell for about $25 or less. Refill soap about $6 or less, refill filters about $7 or less. I'm told that over time, it averages to about $1 per wash.

Reasonable prices IMO. It should appeal to anyone that wants to final rinse their cars after washing, and simply walk away. Cheers.
Old 12-28-03, 09:07 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mr Clean Autodry Car Wash

Saw the new commercial for Mr Clean Autodry Car Wash. Looks like you can order it thru them directly now, and it will become available in stores some time this Spring? Wondering what people's initial thoughts are on it. I know that it's claim of no dry spots probably won't be 100% true, but I can't say I'm not intrigued by the concept. Plus, it uses one of those PUR filters to filter the rinse water. Doesn't sound like a bad idea for a concept. For 30 bucks, do ya'll think you'd give it a try?
Old 12-28-03, 09:53 AM
Guitarman

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...clean+auto+dry

The link and thread above has some info on this. Deionized water is a good thing, so the product has merit from a technical standpoint, and it worked for me. Whether or not it's cost effective to everyone is going to be the subjective part, along with who would most benefit from it. People that are time crunched or want to skip the extra drying step and thus possible streaks/swirl marks that might occur may want to check it out.

Quick Reply: Mr Clean AutoDry (Merged Threads)