Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus Door Edge Guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 05:43 PM
coastk9
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Door Edge Guards

Just purchased and tried installing the Lexus OEM door edge guards. They come with all 4 guards, and labeled for each of the 4 specific doors. I am having a heck of a time installing, and I'm very good with tools and YOTA life! The issue is that I do utilize the instructions, and the templates, and the points to strike with a rubber mallet. HOWEVER, and I've only started on the driver's door....the stainless steel guards do not grasp the door edge, and immediately fall off. I have tried a few things...painters tape to hold guard on door, making sure that I lightly strike the mallet perpendicular to the guard and the door edge. Also, that the guard is in the correct location AND the wider (larger?) edge is on the outer part of the door (that would be the side of the guard with the curl in). I've spoken with Lexus dealer. No one seems to have experience with these Lexus door guards. Yet dealer parts guys say they sell a good deal of them. Though no one there has any experience either in the bays or parts. Any experience would be helpful please. I really appreciate you folks!
Old 06-22-23, 07:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Can you post pics of the product and the location you're trying to install them? Are these like the TRD door stiffeners?
Old 06-22-23, 11:36 AM
coastk9
10th Gear

Default 4 pictures with short description

Originally Posted by E46CT
Can you post pics of the product and the location you're trying to install them? Are these like the TRD door stiffeners?

open side of guard. one side has a curl in on the steel. The other side is just straight. Using the template, place guard against edge of door and at the indicated points on template, use mallet to hammer on to edge of door. But no matter what I do, no matter how precisely straight I keep the guard and mallet, the guard does not attach.

2nd view of guard insides

yet another view of guard

Open side of guard supposed to slide over the edge of the door. This is drivers side without guard.
Old 06-23-23, 07:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I've never heard of or seen such a thing. Do you absolutely need those? They look quite heavy duty and i'm not sure i want to be hammering anything steel on my door edges. What about good old 3M door edge vinyl?
Old 06-23-23, 10:46 AM
coastk9
10th Gear

Default Lexus door edge guards

Since
These are OEM Lexus RX 350 door edge guards. Made of soft stainless steel, then painted by Toyota/Lexus to match my color. A neighbor of mine does no paint dent repair, and while it sounds different, he has such a light touch on a hammer,plus the right tools.
Yesterday he came by to look at the newbie in the driveway. Said "give those to me and bring your mallet". 10 minutes later you'd think that they had been put on up in the Lexus body shop in Canada! They look great. I will send you a picture this weekend. Trust me, if you live near a shopping center, no matter where in the world, the edges on all Toyota's get dinged within the first month. It's much more rewarding to use these than any of the after market rubber or acrylics, including 3M and Weather Techs. You'll see how unobtrusive they are when get to the camera. Thanks for chatting. Are you in North America? I'm in the northern mountains of Arizona. Cooler than lowlands like Phoenix, etc. 4 seasons, including a snow storm a couple of times in winter. Be well!
Old 06-23-23, 03:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yes California. Can't wait to see the photos. glad you got them installed.
Old 06-24-23, 01:07 PM
coastk9
10th Gear

Default RX 350 INSTALLED door edge guards

Yes California. Can't wait to see the photos. glad you got them installed.

There's a bunch of negative YouTubes and comments about these on line. However, you'll note that their solutions were all pretty much the less expensive options that get dinged up and use the least expensive materials including the adhesives. Let them talk, this is THE way to go. Clean door edges with alcohol, toweling dry before air drying. Do it several times. It will stay clean under the guards, and no guys, it won't trap dirt or rust out. The pics show some anomalies, but there's no dents or creases in either the guards nor the RX 350. Justuse the soft mallet, apply it straight, and bang it softly and straight. It's on in 2 minutes. 4 hands makes it go easier.
Old 06-26-23, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Cool thanks for the pics. I'm generally very careful with my doors, and for the few rare times I have a slip up and hit drywall, my 3M door edge clear vinyl is more than enough to protect the doors. And if and when they become worn out from all those door hits, I simply replace the vinyl. Personally I wouldn't see the case to need metal door edge guards as vinyl is more than enough. That's my take on such topics.
Old 06-27-23, 09:05 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed mine the other day myself but it didn't come with the template. I matched the first bend/corner/crease/whatever and used a wooden hammer wrapped with a folded microfiber towel. Didn't have a rubber mallet and the wood hammer made a bunch of little dents in the guard. you'll eventually get it in. The guy at the dealership kept saying they have a "special clamping tool" but I think it's really only to close in any gaps from the outside such as this in the pic below. But pretty sure you'll be able to find something to use to tap it in on the outside