Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

cleaning 6 year old leather in excellent condition...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 10:55 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cleaning 6 year old leather in excellent condition...

I have a 2017 RX Luxury option which means the seats are real leather. I'm the original owner and its in pristine shape. Only 25k easy mi, no dogs, kids or pets. Always garaged and still has new car smell somehow probably due to new car smell chemicals they use that will kill me eventually I'm sure. Back seats are virtually unused and it all looks new. By looks you wouldn't do anything to the leather. But the car is now about 6 years old. My question is does the leather still need to be conditioned after a certain amount of time and what would I do or use. Or... if it still looks great don't "fix" it because it's not broken. Thanks...
Old 07-19-23, 11:04 AM
Brut4c
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I would give them a good coat of Lexol. Still rated one of the best leather products available. Treat them annually.
The following 6 users liked this post by Brut4c:
coolbrazz (07-19-23), DesertFox6 (07-19-23), DyaDya (07-22-23), Freds430 (07-20-23), jcg0324 (07-19-23), ravenuer (07-19-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-23, 04:36 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,128 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Brut4c
I would give them a good coat of Lexol. Still rated one of the best leather products available. Treat them annually.
Agree I would still condition twice a year. Zaino has a cleaner and a conditioner that brings
​​​​​​back temporary the new leather smell. Keeping leather and synthetic leather clean is the most important for longevity.

Last edited by Freds430; 07-20-23 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DyaDya (07-22-23)
Old 07-25-23, 01:38 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

As I understand it, leather car seats are coated with a kind of plastic clear coat, so what you're cleaning and conditioning is a plastic coating rather than the leather itself. Personally I clean the seats with a mild soap solution and a damp cloth, and then treat them (and the rest of the interior plastics) with 303 aerospace protectant, which protects everything from UV exposure. My pale grey seats are 13 years old and the front and rear passenger seats still look like new, while the drivers seat shows very minimal wear. As stated above, keeping them clean is the most important thing.

Here's an article I found useful:

https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips...ther-care.html
Old 07-25-23, 10:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by BillUK
As I understand it, leather car seats are coated with a kind of plastic clear coat, so what you're cleaning and conditioning is a plastic coating rather than the leather itself. Personally I clean the seats with a mild soap solution and a damp cloth, and then treat them (and the rest of the interior plastics) with 303 aerospace protectant, which protects everything from UV exposure. My pale grey seats are 13 years old and the front and rear passenger seats still look like new, while the drivers seat shows very minimal wear. As stated above, keeping them clean is the most important thing.

Here's an article I found useful:

https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips...ther-care.html
I too don't really go for the oily type protectants, but rather the light surface treatment. Personally I'll use baby wipes or for particularly tough stains, a very mild soapy solution strongly dilluted with water and a microfiber then use 1z Cockpit Premium as a detail spray. I probably don't even need the detail spray but the spray helps keep oily skins stuff off and keeps my steering wheel leathers looking matte/dry and new. Keep it light and keep it often has been my MO and I always have perfect interior. this method is working great so far on my current car's pure white interior.