Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NEW RC350 F Sport Blue - Ceramic or Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 08:23 AM
rbraitz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NEW RC350 F Sport Blue - Ceramic or Not

Ok.....so about ready to purchase a new RC350 F Sport in the gorgous metallic blue! Dealer wants to add a protective package. From the dealer's description... This vehicle is equipped with the following dealer installed options: Protection Package including door edge guards, door cup guards, ceramic window tint, and paint protection on hood, mirrors, and fenders. The price of this package is $1,790.

Please note, the paint protection on the hood is only on the lower third, and is a film of some sort.

So, my questions is......should i skip the protection package and just have an after market install a complete ceramic package? I've seen ads all over Facebook but they all show some plastic film - in a flimsy sheet form being installed then smoothed out, is that the same as ceramic?

I've also seen sooo many ads for ceramic applicatoin that is in a concentrated bottle. IS that worth it, any brand recommendations?

Also, Lexus offers a Diamond Top Coat Ceramic package as well. Would it be better to do that instead of the package listed above? There are so many options and im so confused....

My inclination is to have the protection package installed and then manually spray the ceramic coating on the car? thanks everyone for your input and suggestions

Old 09-16-23, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

SKIP. Find a tint/protection shop instead, dealers are paying a 3rd party to do the work which means you pay more for less. Plastic film means paint protection film, highly recommended. Ceramic coating is great but does not protect against abrasion and rock chips.

If you like detailing then sure you can spray on a coating after each wash.
Old 09-18-23, 12:41 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Agree on skipping the dealer BS.

If you PPF a panel, do the whole panel, never partial (except for key areas on doors etc) it's just aesthetically better. But I'd rather people DIY that. The costs people pay for PPF--something that can easily be undone in 1 second (by a car crash or other damage) and have to be redone at YOUR expense, is ridiculous.

Me? I prefer bare professional raw paint i can seal myself. it's therapeutic, superior gloss, bears no extra ri$k, and is much cheaper. I find no joy in detailing a thick sheet of plastic wrap lol.

I only do DIY ppf in key select areas prone to rock chips.

Last edited by E46CT; 09-18-23 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 02:14 PM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Absolutely skip the dealership for this service. Like what was said, go find an independent shop with good reviews to do it. If you HAD to pick one due to budget, I'd definitely recommend the PPF over the ceramic coating because it's more forgiving on little dings such as rock chips, minor bumps and micro scratches from washing your car than ceramic coating. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had scraped my front bumper against this sharp metal bumper guard from the car in front of me and it had protected my paint completely. It did do a small tear but my paint was perfect. Ceramic coat would've have done anything for that.

See this
Facebook Post
for benefits of ceramic coating. Not an expert by any means but just my opinion. Applying PPF by yourself is definitely doable but highly recommend watching a lot of youtube videos first.

I paid for PPF on my hood, front/back bumpers and mirror caps. I had started applying ceramic coating by myself on my own down time but be aware that it requires a LOT of prep before you actually apply it so I've been doing one panel at a time. I'll probably finish my entire care by 2030.

all just my opinion
Old 12-18-23, 11:38 PM
RitewayTowing1
2nd gear

Roadside assistance in NYC plays a key role in ensuring the safety of the riders by providing towing services all around the clock. One of the key advantage of this service is that they provide not just towing services but also other roadside assistance like flat bed towing, fuel changing, battery assistance,, and many more, road side assistance.
Old 12-18-23, 11:38 PM
RitewayTowing1
2nd gear

Roadside assistance in NYC plays a key role in ensuring the safety of the riders by providing towing services all around the clock. One of the key advantage of this service is that they provide not just towing services but also other roadside assistance like flat bed towing, fuel changing, battery assistance,, and many more, road side assistance.