Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scuffs on tan plastic, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03 | 09:52 PM
bluntguy
Rookie

Default Scuffs on tan plastic, etc.

How do you guys scrub off the scuffs/scratches on the plastic? I have smacked the bottom of the inside of the doors a few times and near the floor with my shoes. Anybody have a good way to rid of these?

shawn
Old 11-12-03 | 09:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Shawn,

We have a specific forum for questions about car care and detailing. Moving your post there .
Old 11-12-03 | 11:16 AM
Guitarman

Shawn, couple things you can try that have worked for me in my work, when the usual cleaners don't;

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol

A rubbing compound or polish

Test either on an inconspicuous area before you apply with a clean towel. You want to rub lightly and see how much color (dye) comes off the part. Some cars you won't see any color, some you'll see a lot. It all depends on how the part is impregnated and molded.

Avoid solvents such as Lacquer thinner (they work-but at a price ) etc. as they will usually dull plastic and quickly remove the color from it. The polish or compound is usually pretty safe because you can measure the pressure / bite, and control what you're doing better.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-12-03 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-13-03 | 03:13 PM
Letsride

Thumbs up

Dan this is very good info
Old 11-13-03 | 04:14 PM
Guitarman

Default You're welcome Letsride

This is one area of detailing a customer's car that I consider important because not only do MOST cars have shoe scuffs, but usually the scuffs are very apparent when entering a vehicle, and removing them makes a big visual difference to the customer when he /she opens the door, even if they weren't really cognizant of them being there previously.

As I said, some plastic trim is color impregnated, while others are sprayed/coated. You can usually safely use the alcohol on either, but the compound will sometimes remove a bit of the color on the sprayed plastic, as well as the scuffs, so you just have to go slow. I haven't gone right through the color on anything in the last few years, and i've gotten some tough marks /scrapes off too, but you just have to be careful and rub light ly while looking at your towel after rubbing a little. Use a mild polish first of course, then go heavier if need be. If the part dulls a bit with heavier compound, use a swirl remover or light polish afterwards and that should shine it back up.

Sometimes there's no alternative but to live with some really ingrained scuffs, or risk removing too much color on sprayed parts. On the color -impregnated trim, compound and polish are great, since your paint, which you normally use them on, is also a form of plastic (urethane).