Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather drying

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 05:06 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather drying

There are parts of my seats that are drying up. The leather towards the side of the seat is starting to get alittle hard and crack. It's not bad to the point where it looks really bad, but I think it could get worst. I am not sure what is causing it. Water? People's butts rubbing against it when getting off? I've tried some leather conditioner and cocoa butter but its still the same. Any ideas? If you need clarification on what part, I can snap some pics.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-03, 09:26 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert, I can't tell you what is causing it, but I think your scenario is custom made for the product in the link below. It has succeeded where many products have failed, in softening hard brittle leather for many people on this forum and others around the web. Best of luck.

http://www.leatherique.com/prod01.htm

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-09-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 05:41 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the leatherique as Guitarman says. Nothing will bring back the softness to the leather like leatherique. Worth every penny. I speak from experience using this product.

Jeremy
Old 11-10-03, 07:14 PM
paradox
Rookie

I had a question about leatherique.... My 95LS' front seats were cracking, and the dealership had some third party treat them. They looked almost brand new.... but were very stiff.
I've used Zaino leather cleaner, then Connelly Hide food to condition afterwards, but after a couple of times, it looks like the more the Hide food goes to work on the seats i.e. softening them, the original cracks -mostly around the edge of the seats- start to reappear. I'm wondering if using Leatherique -while restoring the leather to a soft, supple state will actually "regenerate" all those original ugly cracks again. Appreciate any feedback!
Old 11-10-03, 10:45 PM
Guitarman

Once cracks appear, they will stay, you can only hide them somewhat. One "fix" would be something like Leatherique's crack filler; http://www.leatherique.com/prod05.htm

Outside of that, you could spray a matching dye on the panel to make the cracks less noticeable ( the dealership may have had someone do this because it does affect the suppleness of the leather when it's sprayed after the fact), but this isn't really a permanant fix as the cracks will reappear slowly as the seat takes more wear.

I have redyed seats a few times, and you can keep it looking pretty good if you do it every so often . You have to have a real good match on the color though, to even attempt it. The Leatherique fix is matched to your seat color and it's elastomeric, so it flexes with the seat movement.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-12-03 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-10-03, 11:34 PM
paradox
Rookie

Hey Dan thanks a lot ... getting the Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean to start with. Now, for the crack filler, I'm thinking you have to mix it with the dye before applying? Thanks again for your quick response
Old 11-11-03, 03:46 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

The crack filler is mixed perfectly by Leatherique. You have to send them a 1" square piece of leather and they will match it and send the crack filler to you. Then just follow the instructions.
Old 11-12-03, 07:19 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

I just ordered some of that oil.
I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-12-03, 08:28 AM
Guitarman

Thumbs up Yes , let us know Robert.

As far as the crack filler...Jeremy's got it right paradox, Leatherique will match the crack filler color mix for you. Just follow their instructions on the website and send them your sample.That is your best bet as far as a DIY repair. A local professional may be able to duplicate that type of fix, but it will cost quite a bit. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-12-03 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-15-03, 10:58 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

I got the stuff in yesterday and let it set overnight. Today I cleaned it all off with the cleaner and it looks great. It didn't completely fix the problem, but definately helped.
Old 11-15-03, 03:26 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Glad it worked for you. It sometimes will take a few applications if the leather is really dry. The leather can only soak up so much oil at one shot. Do it again in a week or so and then again in another week. You can also try leaving it on for 2-3 days to let it really soak in.

Jeremy
Old 11-17-03, 11:42 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

I see some wrinkles on the leather, could soaking it afew more times help?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-17-03, 01:34 PM
Guitarman

Robert, wrinkles are a natural part of the wear / aging process of leather, once they are present, they always will be. I would follow Jeremy's advice and apply the rejuvenator oil again, it may take a few applications over a months time to see a bigger improvement. If that stuff doesn't work, not much will outside of new leather.

Just wait a few days or even a week for each application to soak in and also evaporate before you apply the next "feeding".

Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-17-03 at 01:41 PM.