Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does Surfaces Protection Package work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 10:19 PM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Surfaces Protection Package work?

In less than a week I will purchase a new 2004 SC 430 . . . and at this late date would like to ask the forum whether the so-called "Finishing Touch" Automotive Surfaces Protection Package actually works as advertised.

The brochure given to me promoting the product claims 3-5 years of warranty coverage for the car's exterior and interior paint, fabric, and leather surfaces. It seems worthwhile at a glance, so I would like to ask if anyone has purchased the protection package and can verify whether it works.

Thanks!

John
Old 11-19-03, 04:51 PM
dingo
Driver

Save your money duude!

That's a common "plus" car dealerships use to increase profit. It costs them around $10 to put some polymer on your car and then they play they law of averages that you won't make a claim. If they're hawking this then they'll prolly try to stick you with other stuff too. Usually happens when you go in to sign the papers - read them carefully - you might even wind up paying credit life with extremely high rates.

You'd be much better off taking that money and applying towards an Xpel application. This car has a rock magnet on the front and will have paint chips in no time.

JMHO.
Old 11-19-03, 06:50 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

That crap is even worse than an extended warranty; it's a plain rip-off. Buy a good wax and leather conditioner and detail the car yourself.
Ever since a dealer badly scratched my new '98 LS400, I've been picking up my new cars UNTOUCHED; just as they come off the truck. Dealer couldn't believe it, but I'm a very simple guy who still enjoys washing his cars and bikes. Since then, I've been able to maintain my cars immaculate for years.

Make sure to visit the FAQ post at the top of this forum, and check the C-BEST options so the dealer can make changes before you drive off the lot. I deactivated the DRLs and many other changes. Also check all the fluids and tire pressures yourself again; my engine was overfilled by a quart, and tires were at 40 psi instead of 33.

Congratulations in advance! I only have 500 miles in almost 2 months, but I became acquainted with it almost immediately. It's a fantastic car.

JC
Old 11-20-03, 01:22 AM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Wow, what a great suggestion...thanks a lot!

I just finished several hours of reading through the C-BEST posts, and as a result have changed my thinking on lots of issues. #1: Stongard is the way to go for paint protection for my car.
Old 11-20-03, 02:32 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

There have been several reports of staining on the light colored (ecru) interiors. it may be worthwhile to have someone treat and warranty your leather.