Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Driver Seat Leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 10:36 AM
MikeLane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Seat Leather

I just bought a 98 SC 400 and the front seats need help. The drivers seat has been rubbed as the driver got in and out to the point the pigment / dye has been worn off in one spot (about 4 inches by one inch). Does anyone have any ideas short of visiting an upholstery shop for replacement? Thanks.
Old 11-19-03, 11:52 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, If you're not intimidated by trying yourself, you could buy some SEM or DuPont vinyl / leather dye and spray the area. You would have to get the color code of the leather and have them make up 1/2 pint or pint of it.

I've done entire interiors with it, and it holds up very well *if* you do the prep correctly.

Of course, it's contingent on you having a spray gun or air brush and a compressor or a compressed air cylinder (available at hobby shops).
It's not difficult (easier than spray painting) but the hardest part of the whole shebangis getting the color matched correctly. Usually, even if it's slightly "off" you can blend it into the panel and the rest of the seat to make it difficult to notice.

The dyes cost is anywhere from $20 a pint to $40 a pint, depending on color.

You can also find a pro that does it and pay more. Every dealership has a guy that comes in and does this type of work. They are damn good at color matching since they do it every day. Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-19-03 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 12:09 PM
MikeLane
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yup, I have all the stuff. i wasn't sure about the spraying on part, so thanks for that. I agree on color matching being difficult. I guess that's why most hobbyists prefer black interiors. One question that remains, if I spray...how does this play with leather that is not smoothe any more? Does the dye / paint end up cracking again along the same lines? I guess that's no big deal, since the crease lines are there already. I'll post the results.
Old 11-19-03, 01:37 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "dye" is actually an elastomeric polymer paint, and it won't crack. The leather under it can of course if it's not moisturized regularly. Whatever your surface condition is before you spray will determine what it's like after. You can spray it, scuff it, spray it etc. to try and smooth out an area to some extent and build up a rough area. I have done this, and it's somewhat effective.

The patina of the finish will sometimes be a more satin finish than your existing seat, however, you CAN buy a sprayable clear vinyl that is used over top of the dye. I would recommend that for protection as well as uniformity of tone especially if your existing leather is clear coated, as most oem leathers are.

They also sell a prepping agent for leather that will be sprayed this way, but you can degrease it yourself by using Dawn and warm water, and a wax/grease remover (3M). The last step is that you must actually scuff the area with sandpaper (~600 grit will work) to provide some "bite" for the new product. Then run a damp cloth over it to remove any loose sanding remains, let it dry, and spray. The stuff goes on incredibly easy and uniform, almost impossible to get a run.

Done quite a bit of it over the years, and I learned by talking with a guy that did it for dealerships, so ask if there's anything else you need to know.

Chances are, you can easily make it look much better than it does now, for a couple hours work and a few bucks. It can last either months or years depending on how well you prep it , and how much physical contact it receives from your body getting in/out. At least if you do DIY, you can always touch it up once a year if you need to. DAN H

P.S. If you do go get some mixed at an automotive paint supplier place, don't freak when you look at the color of the dye in the can. In liquid form, it's not even close to the seat color, but when sprayed it is.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-19-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 01:47 PM
MikeLane
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dan.