Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

To wax or not to wax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 06:02 PM
RocketMan295
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To wax or not to wax?

Friends, I covet your input: My 2024 ES300h is now about 3 months out of the Georgetown factory. I made the mistake of washing with a garden hose spray, and now my Matador Red Mica is water spot city, big time. I guess my well water has a high mineral content.Windows are a mess, too. I’m confident a 50-50 vinegar water mix will clean things up. Any safer or better method suggestions are welcome, as well as waxing advice. Ceramic or carnauba? Paste or liquid? Sprays? My weekend project is getting this car back looking like it should!
Old 05-25-24, 05:16 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,127 Likes on 732 Posts

Big question is how long have the spots been on. If left to bake in the sun Will be much harder to remove. I was on vacation parked my car outside and a sprinkler had hit it. Left terrible water spots on the windshield and the paint in the front of the car. When I got home three or four days later I washed it I got a clay bar out and I clay barred it and 95% them were removed. The rest I removed with another application of clay barring with a little bit of vinegar. Followed up with a fine polishing compound on the few remaining spots. Must dry thoroughly after washing. I blow mine with the Ego electric blower. 95% dry and hit it in one minute with a drying towel. Blower is fantastic Gets all the water out of the wheels, door and trunk gaps etc.

Last edited by Freds430; 05-25-24 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-25-24, 06:48 AM
RocketMan295
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thank you …

… for that good advice. My car is only 3 months out of the factory, and as I write I’m beginning a vinegar job, seems it ain’t gonna work per a few sample spots. Never did clay barring, but you talked me into it! Gotta get this Red Mica lookin like it should. Thanks again!
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Mantutuli
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freds430
Big question is how long have the spots been on. If left to bake in the sun Will be much harder to remove. I was on vacation parked my car outside and a sprinkler had hit it. Left terrible water spots on the windshield and the paint in the front of the car. When I got home three or four days later I washed it I got a clay bar out and I clay barred it and 95% them were removed. The rest I removed with another application of clay barring with a little bit of vinegar. Followed up with a fine polishing compound on the few remaining spots. Must dry thoroughly after washing. I blow mine with the Ego electric blower. 95% dry and hit it in one minute with a drying towel. Blower is fantastic Gets all the water out of the wheels, door and trunk gaps etc.
h model? great idea
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Vinegar is acidic keep that far away from the water based paint on your car. Unless you use softened water or dry your car perfectly after every wash you'll keep having the same problem over and over again. I'd tell you to invest in a ceramic coating or PPF but then people will swoop in and tell me they spray on a magic $15 wax that lasts an entire year. So do that.
Old Today, 04:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,127 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantutuli
h model? great idea
Get the most powerful one. With the extra money. Tremendous for blowing driveway patio etc and of course vehicles. On turbo setting battery last at least 15 minutes 40 minutes on

regular. I wear a size 14 shoe. Tennis shoe was in garage. Blowing out leaves and it blew this big show over and over across the driveway.