Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Why Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03 | 07:28 AM
1ton
Driver

Default Why Zaino?

After talking to a few memeber and visiting the Zaino website, I am still curious as to what the "rules" are when using Zaino.

1. After I use the Zaino products, can I still use other products like Meguire's Mist Spray for quick polish? If no, why not?
2. Everyone seems to use different products, would you suggest the starter kit?
3. How many hours/days should I expect to spend doing this the first time?
Old 11-20-03 | 08:26 AM
Guitarman

Firstly, as a Zaino user for a number of years now, I will say that it's not for everyone. Yes, there are special requirements and rules to adhere to in order to get optimum results.

1. After I use the Zaino products, can I still use other products like Meguire's Mist Spray for quick polish? If no, why not?
The Zaino products are engineered to work together as a system, fully compatible and they compliment each other. Now, saying that, I HAVE been using Meguiar's Final Inspection quick detailer spray in between for dust etc. with no negative effects, BUT, Final Inspection also contains no WAX or SILICONES that could interfere with the polymer bonding etc. I don't know about the "Mist Spray" product you're referring to, so I can't say whether or not that will cause a problem. Their Z6 Gloss Enhancer spray is best for this, but it's pricey and I ended up going through it fast. I now only use it before I apply their polish, and also to dampen the applicator pad. Best advice: Either use Z6 or another QD that has no wax or silicones and you should be allright.

2. Everyone seems to use different products, would you suggest the starter kit?
When I started out with them, I purchased the Z1 and the Z2, DONE. That's all you REALLY need as a minimum to protect your car. I would then go with the car wash and the Z6 when you can spend more $$$. The ZFX additive is only necessary if you want to apply 3 layers in one day, I've never bought it because i'm satisfied to apply 1 coat per day. It's up to you, your wallet and your free time and your goals.

3. How many hours/days should I expect to spend doing this the first time?
Depends on how well your paint is prepped.The paint must be glass smooth and shiny BEFORE Zaino, as it's a protective polymer coating, NOT a cleaner with any abrasives. It will magnify every swirl or scratch you have, so you have to get rid of them as best you can beforehand. If you have clayed it and it's oxidation and swirl free before you start applying Zaino, it will take about an hour to apply the Z1 and Z2. Similar to applying 2 coats of carnauba wax. You will find the learning curve on applying it THIN. A polymer only needs to make SURFACE CONTACT for it to cross link and be effective. With Zaino, you apply it very thin to the point where you can't even see it going on. This takes time to get down. Apply it heavy and you waste it, and it will take X times longer to cross link/ cure, since air won't get to the surface layer well due t it being too thick . Then you must let it air cure for at least a few hours (humidity plays a big role) or even overnight if you wish. This is perhaps the most important step, because if you don't let it cure , or you wet it down before it cures, you'll defeat your purpose.

Yes, it can be a fussy product, but the benefits are great too. Many here use it, so they will hopefully chime in and give even more tips. Best of luck.
Old 11-20-03 | 10:03 AM
1ton
Driver

Thanks for the advise. I bought my SC used so there are minor scratches and stuff that I would love to get rid of, like around the door handle. I don't mind spending the time nor the money to do this but wanted to make sure that I would be happy after I spend the time and money.
Old 11-20-03 | 12:32 PM
1ton
Driver

I just placed my order for the Zaino Kit. I talked to Sal Zaino himself and he was able to help me out. He said I should use the 3M product called Swirl Mark Remover then start using his products. Wish me luck.
Old 11-21-03 | 05:22 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover for black cars - works GREAT. I follow with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze for a deep wet look, but use lots of towels to remove the product. Then wax the car.
Old 11-21-03 | 10:27 AM
Guitarman

Just remember guys, Malcolm is doing it right to use a glaze before he applies wax, but if you are using Zaino (or any other polymer sealant) you shouldn't use a glaze beforehand. The oils in the glaze will interfere with the polymer bonding to the paint.

Because waxes also contain oils and physically bond to the paint, a glaze works well with them. A polymer sealant bonds chemically to the paint, and the surface must be squeaky clean and oil free for any sealant to bond properly.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-21-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-21-03 | 08:12 PM
Malcolm
Rookie

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know that.
Old 11-26-03 | 04:42 AM
1ton
Driver

I talked to Sal originally about my order. I believe he told me to wash the car with Dawn then use the 3M Swirl Mark Remover, then Clay the car then start with the Z5, Z2 products. My question is, will Claying the car remove the 3M product? Shouldn't I use the 3M product after I clay the car?
Old 11-26-03 | 08:34 AM
Guitarman

3M swirl remover does have some oils and fillers in it and should be removed before Zainoing, and that'll do it. Clay will remove it since you'll use car wash shampoo as a lubricant for the clay, so yes, do it that way and you'll be just fine.

Yes... Normally you WOULD clay before you polish, because otherwise the contaminants on the car (that you're going to clay off) get ground into the polishing process, which *might* be ok if you were compounding with rubbing compound etc. but with a fine polish such as a swirl remover, you don't want larger git than the particle size of the polish on the car when you start to polish, because they in themselves may cause scratches /swirls in the friction. Make sense?

If you do clay then polish, I would still wash the car with a simple car shampoo to remove the swirl remover oils/residue. Just a quick wash will do it.

Is it possible you got Sal's order for the process mixed up? Either way, good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-26-03 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-26-03 | 10:16 AM
1ton
Driver

Here's what I asked Sal and his answers:
Here is what I want to do with my car...
1. Wash car with Dawn
2. Use 3M Swirl Mark Remover
3. Clay the car and keep car misted with Z7 wash (question: will the clay
remove the 3M product? Should I use the 3M after I clay the car?)

Sal's answer: Use 3M before you clay...

4. Z7 wash
5. Mix Z5 with ZFX and apply 1 coat
6. Z6
----rest for the day (keep car in garage)
7. Z5 with ZFX
8. Z6
9. Z2
10. Z6
11. Z2
12. Z6

My two questions are - 1) When should i use the 3M product 2) When I am done
for the day, is there anything I need to do the next day (curious because of
dirt from the garage).

Sal's reply: No... Enjoy your car

I'll do it but not sure if I understand the logic.
Old 11-26-03 | 11:18 AM
Guitarman

The clay & Z7 combo should remove the 3m product, yes.

Personally , I agree with you. I don't understand his logic either, because not only will you be polishing with bonded contaminants on the car, but claying after you polish is also counterintuitive because clay can sometimes leave swirls and fine scratches (we all mess up-let's face it, no matter how careful we are ) so why not clay FIRST, so that you can polish out those swirls and scratches. It's your car though, and Sal knows his products, so it's your decision.

Let us know how it all goes, good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-26-03 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-01-03 | 07:01 AM
1ton
Driver

Well I "Zainoed" my car this weekend. The car is super shiney and smooth. I did have some problems applying the products. For example, the Z5, and Z2 was suggested to use a small amount and I was not sure how small the amount should be. I followed the advice they posted online to do the hood in an up and down motion. I noticed that I could see streaks up and down. When I put the Z6 polish on, I saw major streaks (I was doing it in an up and down motion as well). I went and diluted the polish to equal amount of polish to distilled water. Then tried again. This time in a circular motion. That seemed to work really well for me.

The results were awesome. The car is super smooth and shiney. The only thing is, I still see minor scratches when the sun hits the car in a particular angle.
Old 12-01-03 | 09:37 PM
Guitarman

Glad you made it work 1ton, couple things;

When I put the Z6 polish
I'm guessing you meant the Z5, as Z6 is a gloss enhancer spray/ quick detail product. Zaino is prone to streak with higher humiditys, and being in Florida as you are, we will typically have to fight this most of the time. FWIW, other waxes and sealants are also affected negatively by high humidity. You did well at finding a solution.

It takes a while to get the hang of how much to use. The main thing to understand is that a polymer ( any true polymer ) only needs to make SURFACE CONTACT to cross-link/cure and become effective, so to err on the thin side is usually better. Thicker coats are wasted material and will require more air time to cure. It almost has to be that, at times, you can't see anything being applied on the paint , but to rather have a 'leap of faith' that it's happening. Much different than wax.

As far as you still seeing minor scratches, well, the perfectionist school of thought says you'll have to work harder at polishing to remove them all, but the realistic school of thought is that unless you can spend copious amounts of free time on you vehicle and observe a perfectionists' approach, you'll always have SOME spider webbing or ultra fine scratches. If anyone doesn't believe this, just go to a juried car show on a sunny day and look at black or dark colored show cars. I have seen some AMAZING paint jobs and perfectly cared for cars, and I can always find some if I look hard enough, and the sun is at the right angle. The best you can try for on a daily driven vehicle is to keep them minimal and hard to find. Avoiding rubbing in circular motions will help minimize them.

Let us know what you think after another layer or 2 of the polish. Enjoy!
Old 12-03-03 | 02:36 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Why Zaino? This is my question, I have only seen pics of cars done with it and I was not impressed I have never seen a car done with it in person...................Are there any SOCal members with it on their cars?
Old 12-04-03 | 04:54 AM
1ton
Driver

Lexkost,

I was skeptical myself. That is why I posted this question. I wanted to see a before and after picture but no one had any. Any car can look good in a picture with the right lighting. If it is not worth it, I would tell you because it takes a LONG time the first time to do your car. You are starting from scratch. My SC is a 2002 black car, a friend of mine just bought a brand new Acura (black as well). He saw how much shinier and smoother mine was and is going to Zaino his car as well. Personally, I have heard nothing but good stuff so decided to go ahead and spend a few days to do this and it is well worth it. If you decide to do it and need help with applying or what to do, everyone at CL is willing to help!

Quick Reply: Why Zaino?