Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need IMMEDIATE help with dealer add-ons!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 10:41 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need IMMEDIATE help with dealer add-ons!!

My dealer is delivering my new BLACK/BLACK GX470 this afternoon, and I just talked with the accessories lady and she was pitching a few things that I wanted some advice on:

1) the window film that blocks UV and adds some color
I want this definitely for the front windows ($225) but wasn't sure about doing the back as well (another $275), she said it would keep it much cooler in the summer and that the privacy glass didn't block any UV rays

2) teflon coating for exterior and some interiro coating $600
figured this was a rip off?

3) Silver pin stripe $99
any thoughts on how that would look?

Please help quickly, I gotta give them an answer in the next few minutes so they can get it done for this afternoon!
Old 11-20-03, 10:47 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

one other add on was this clear polyurethane bug/rock chip deflector thing?
Old 11-20-03, 04:05 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) the window film that blocks UV and adds some color
I want this definitely for the front windows ($225) but wasn't sure about doing the back as well (another $275), she said it would keep it much cooler in the summer and that the privacy glass didn't block any UV rays

Blocking of UV is certainly a good thing, if indeed the film does. Whether or not it's worth that price is up to you. You can apply a product like 303 Aerospace protectant also, on your vinyl/plastic (even leather) and that has UV40 in it for a lot less $$$. It's a subjective decision on your part.

2) teflon coating for exterior and some interiro coating $600
figured this was a rip off?
Mostly profit for the dealership, you can DIY with products that work just as well for pennies on the dollar IMO. Read this thread on teflon, and decide. These are all professional detailers and tech advisors to Ford, GM, Chrysler etc. FWIW ;

http://www.carwash.com/detail.asp?Bo...ser_ID=0#35808

3) Silver pin stripe $99
any thoughts on how that would look?
I'm not a fan of pinstripes myself, but it's really a subjective thing only you can decide. If you like them, you'll probably be happy with having them added. Painted striping is much more durable, but conversely, tape pinstripes are easily removed if you decide you don't like them.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-20-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 04:11 PM
Guitarman

one other add on was this clear polyurethane bug/rock chip deflector thing?
Are we talking about a ScotchCal, Xpel, StoneGuard type of clear film here?

They are effective and worthwhile if so.
Old 11-20-03, 04:37 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Thanks for the tips. I decided to get the UV window tinting all around, skipped on the teflon paint sealant, skipped the polyurethane bug/rock chip protector and skipped the pinstripe.
Old 11-20-03, 07:33 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought silicone glass inherently blocks UV rays? It's not 100% of UV, nor the whole spectrum of UV (wavelengths less than 400 nm), but it does block a good amount of it--enough to not get a sunburn in the bright summer sun for a whole afternoon (even for you remote-from-a-tan persons out there). I could be mistaken, as it's been a while since I got the B.S. in Chem and Bio. . .

If anything, the tint is probably for looks. If the tint blocked IR (infrared), now that's something that will drastically cool your car, as IR is mostly detected as heat. In any event, any light you block is less UV and less IR than would have otherwise passed through to the interior of the car.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 11-20-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 09:30 PM
Guitarman

I could stand to learn a bit more about this myself, According to this link;

http://sunprotectionglasstint.com/uvshield.htm

Auto glass blocks some of the UVB rays but not UVA, and this one companies' film supposedly takes up the slack and prevents most UVA rays too.

They do note that nothing will totally prevent fading entirely.( at least they're honest about that)

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-20-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 12:54 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, interesting topic, and good info on the website (albeit I'm sure it's a little biased in their info. . . ). Anyways, I was reading the CPO information on a '99 GS400, and it says this:

"UV- and infrared-cut green glass was adopted for all windows. "

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_detail/gs/400/1999.html

I'm sure that any new Lexus vehicle would have this as well, if not something better. Assuming this "UV- and infrared-cut green glass" that Lexus uses in their vehicles, I wonder how much more UV and IR it blocks than say regular automotive glass--enough to not warrant any additional tinting? The front windshields of all cars have 2 pieces of glass sandwiching a plastic layer, which in itself would absorb UV rays, but the side and rear glass of Lexus vehicles must be receiving this additional treatment.

Lexus might be putting some sort of film inside their glass to reduce the UV and IR even further, much like Acura does with their glass? If so, it might be redundant to get the film that "jacksonian" mentioned? I don't know--just speculation. . .
Old 11-21-03, 09:56 PM
Guitarman

Default Good info SeattleGS

"UV- and infrared-cut green glass was adopted for all windows. "
If that means the windshield too, then we're fortunate to have purchased Lexus's.

You probably know more about it than me, but I agree with the assumption that they have sandwiched something in that glass or chemically altered the mix.

I haven't tinted my GS as yet, and It's welcome info.
Old 11-22-03, 09:17 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Well, I got the GX yesterday am, and the tint on the front windows looks awesome. Can't roll down the windows for 5 days while the tint finishes adhering/curing. I got the darkest allowable in my state. It's still a little hazy in the back, but he said just to leave it in the sun for a few days.Thanks for the tips.