Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dealing with a toxic smell in an RX that I just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-24, 07:02 PM
Ottodrum
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealing with a toxic smell in an RX that I just purchased

8 days ago I purchased a one owner RX300 with 142K on it from a small used car lot. When test driving it, I noticed a strong fragrance that I took to be carpet shampoo. The scent was still strong after a few days, so I dug around and found some air freshener wafers under the front seats. I figured after removing the wafers the scent would start to decrease, but the scent is as strong as ever. I took the car out for a 250 mile trip, and was dizzy for almost 2 straight days, a very scary feeling. I became very concerned when I found cigarette ashes in the ashtray. Even though ozone generators are illegal in California, I wouldn't be surprised if one was used to get rid of the cigarette smell. My guess is that they left the generator running for too long and all of the vinyl and leather coating broke down and is releasing VOCs that are making me sick.

I've tried white vinegar, baking soda and activated charcoal with no luck. I've also been letting the car sit out in the sun all day with the windows hoping that these VOCs will gas off, but with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-24, 07:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottodrum
My guess is that they left the generator running for too long and all of the vinyl and leather coating broke down and is releasing VOCs that are making me sick.
Interesting theory I've never heard of this, anyone else? I do know an ozone generator powerful enough to eliminate odor is very hard on plastic.

Smell can be hard to describe but what does the car smell like?
Old 07-01-24, 07:34 PM
Ottodrum
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Interesting theory I've never heard of this, anyone else? I do know an ozone generator powerful enough to eliminate odor is very hard on plastic.

Smell can be hard to describe but what does the car smell like?
Kind of a cross between Irish Spring and the heavy vinyl smell of a new shower curtain or inflatable pool toy.
Old 07-01-24, 08:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottodrum
Kind of a cross between Irish Spring and the heavy vinyl smell of a new shower curtain or inflatable pool toy.
Sounds like the smell is plastic. Try this, remove one of the smaller (and easiest to remove) panels from the car and put it somewhere else for a bit see if the smell goes away. If it doesn't your theory about damaged plastic is probably correct.

I worked on a car awhile back where the amplifier had fried capacitors which leaked their guts, the smell could not be removed from the carpet I had to replace it.