Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Newbie needs help with new black Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 03:59 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=100442

Try this thread. golfkwesi has listed all the steps he took.
Old 11-29-03, 04:22 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

jacksonian, allow me to be of service:

Z1 is still OK but rendered unnecessary by ZFX. Mostly, ZFX saves you one step (applying Z1). Z3 is for non-clear coated finishes which is the category that (apparently) ALL black Lexus paints fall into. Z5 is a filler polymer that can deal with relatively light swirling. Sal says to apply as many coats as you need to remove swirls, then Z3 (or Z2 if you have a clear coated but dark finish on which swirling is more visible). This would ALL be preceded by Z1 (once) unless you are using ZFX, in which case Z1 is superfluous. Since ZFX is added to the Z2,3, and/or 5, you are (be definition) using it with every coat of those products.

Z6 between coats is optional for any of the paint products.

I don't know if PakShak are best, though Daddy-O was certainly happy with 'em. And Ranney is definitely a pleasant dude to deal with.

As far as Zaino, don't hesitate to email Sal directly with questions, specific or general; he answers all his email, usually within a couple of hours.

As I look at that black beast, I feel sort of like (analogy for the older guys here, you youngsters won't understand it) Charleton Heston in "Ben Hur" downstairs rowing away in that Roman galley.............labor that never ends.................(cue "The Volga Boatman" here, too). Schit. And SHE says SHE thinks SHE'll never buy another car that's not black..............I thought I bought the damn thing!!

Finally, golfkwesi obviously has too much time on his hands........or more than me, anyway.

Looks good, though.

bitkahuna, he who allows the rain (but not much else) to wash his car, is laughing even harder now

Last edited by mooretorque; 11-29-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-29-03, 04:29 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mooretorque,
You lost me. That sounded like an Abbott and Costello bit.

So I'd need ZFX and Z3 for my new black onyx?
Old 11-29-03, 04:37 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Maybe I understand, so I need to use the ZFX with the Z3 and then finish it off with the Z6? Is this what you guys are using for your black onyx Lexus?
Old 11-30-03, 03:59 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

sorry, jacksonian.......trying to be somewhat humorous, but the Zaino advice is all valid.

What we need for our Black Onyx is Z3 and ZFX. Z5 and ZFX is used, if necessary, to fix mild swirling/scratching in the paint before Z3. If you look down at your paint and your reflection is surrounded by faint, hazy, scratches that make the reflection look as if it has rings around it, Z5/ZFX is the first thing to use and you apply it and buff it as many times as is necessary to leave your paint looking like black liquid, ie, no scratching. THEN comes the Z3/ZFX. Z6 is a detailing spray for additional gloss that you can use after washing the car, but it can also be used between each coat of Z3 or Z5 if you are applying multiple coats.

And Z7 is the car wash soap from Zaino but you can use any of the specially formulated car wash soaps, btw.

Sorry about the confusion among the different Zs. I have a MilSil GS and so have Z2 for it (and the RX300).

Here's what we'll have to do, in order: wash with Z7, then Z3/ZFX, then Z6. Use microfiber to wash, dry, and wipe the dried Z3/ZFX off. This assumes no scratch filling. In that case, it would be Z7, Z5/ZFX, then Z3/ZFX (keeping in mind that more than one application of Z5 may be necessary). Z6 could also be used between each coat but I don't have that kind of time. I've been sort of a one coat kind of guy, but that black thing in the garage is going to require some Z5 as well as more frequent re-apps of Z3 (Sal Zaino says 4 times a year or more versus twice a year for clearcoated cars/Z2).

The rest of that post had to do with movie and music analogies regarding slaving away at a task without end. The remark about golfkwesi referred to this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=100442
That's a wonderful shine but I don't have the time to put that kind of effort into maintaining my paint. And finally, the remark about bitkahuna refers to a well known member here who, in times past, has stated more than once that he would rather be driving his GS4 than spending time washing it, so that's just what he does plus the occasional trip thru the car wash!!!

Does that help with who's on first?? (Abbott and Costello allusion)

Last edited by mooretorque; 11-30-03 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-01-03, 01:32 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Whew, thanks for clearing that up. I'll get my Zaino order in. Is there anything special about the Zaino wash? Any reason to use that rather than Megs Gold Class?
Old 12-01-03, 02:58 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Nothing special about Zaino; any formulated car wash soap will do, including Meguiars..................I was out (coincidentally) when I made my first Zaino order, so I just added a bunch of Z7.
Old 12-03-03, 12:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
bitkahuna, he who allows the rain (but not much else) to wash his car, is laughing even harder now
Hey Doc, I'm going to try to talk Bit into heading up to Charlotte for a Zaino Detailing Clinic (details here) .

I think I'd even pay for his gas up and back to see his GS clean for once
Old 12-03-03, 12:50 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Arrgghhh!!! I'd love to come to that notwithstanding the fact that it's about a bazillion miles from here. You may have to drag Paul, though..................... I just don't understand; all those mods and then.........................................off to the carwash for some really good cleanin'!!!!
Old 12-03-03, 01:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

A clean car is but a fleeting illusion, a trifling very temporary reversal of the entropy that will eventually turn all our cars to dust and rust.

"Stop rubbin' dude, just DRIVE!"
Old 12-06-03, 08:44 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

And now, back to black!

On another thread, I was lamenting the spiderweb swirls present on wifey's RX330 from day 1, with some improvement after two trips to the dealer for more detailing. At least some of these problems appear to come about from shoddy treatment at the port, according to the dealer (and I saw some vehicles with similar issues apparent as soon as the transport plastic wrapping was being pulled off, so despite some skepticism on my part, I have to say that there appears to be some truth to that statement).

Today, I finally got to spend some time on the beast with some of Ranney's PakShak microfiber towels and Zaino Z5 (and then Z3). I'm beginning to think that if Sal Zaino says he's got that cold fusion thing licked, we're gonna have to believe. ONE layer of Z5 (all I had time for) led to at least a 50% reduction in swirls!! I've said it before and will say it again to anyone who'll hold still long enough: this man's stuff does EXACTLY what he claims it will!!

I'm beginning to think that life may be possible with a black car in the family after all............

very temporary reversal of the entropy
Waxing (pardon pun, please) philosophic, eh, Paul?? All the above is just an extension of my own very local but temporary postponement of heat death..........
Old 12-07-03, 03:51 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

My Black Onyx SportCross is just over a month old...

I have no tips to add but want to express my gratitude to all here.

thank you very much for all the great tips and guidelines by the many experts here. I will try my best to follow your guides, techniques, and experiences to keep my SportCross' paint in the best shining condition.

Of course, thank you, jacksonian, for starting this thread.

Old 12-07-03, 07:58 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

1 - 3m Swirl Mark Remover for black cars - lots of terry cloth towels
2 - 3m Imperial Hand Glaze - I used speical micro-towels to get this product removed, but worth it
3 - Pinnacle Souverän Wax - goes on like butter and removes just as easy. Several coats. I have tired other waxes, but I have never seen a shine like this wax. Buff with special micro towels.

I find the towels really make or break the job. Get good ones.

After getting this rigth over several years, I am looking at buying another black car. It is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs help with new black Lexus-92_sc300_3.jpg  
Old 12-07-03, 04:27 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

i have a few quick questions...

where do you guys get the Zaino products? from the online store: http://www.zainostore.com/ ? or from the local store? how's the price online compare to the local store?

thanks.
Old 12-07-03, 05:45 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, Zaino doesn't discount their products to any distributers, so the price is exactly the same no matter where you get it. The only difference may be the shipping charge. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-07-03 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help with new black Lexus