Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP!! Repainting car after an accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 02:14 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy HELP!! Repainting car after an accident

My dad just got into a minor accident with my car and basically took off most of the paint off the side of my bumper and part of the bottom metal. I don't want to spend 500 dollars to get someone to fix it so I'd like to do it myself. Can someone please give me directions on what things I would need to get and step by step directions on how I can fix the damage done to my car. It only needs to be repainted. Their are no dents in the body. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks

Last edited by vinster29; 11-24-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 03:28 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You're a brave man

Firstly, I would be remiss if I didn't try to politely try and talk you out of it, because, having painted quite a few cars in my life, I can tell you the learning curve is STEEP! It took me a few paint jobs to get as good as Maaco,( which is nothing to brag about generally) and even though I can nowadys paint to show quality results, It was a frustrating process to go through early on. My first few paint jobs were nothing to brag about, but I learned a lot. My last few are truly show worthy paint jobs, but it took a while to get there.

The things that can become problematic you can't even conceive of the 1st time.

That said, I will try to give you some guidance and maybe the details will scare you enough, lol;

You need to know what type of paint is on the car; Is it basecoat /clearcoat or single stage? Answer this first, because the below info is predicated on it being base/clear, since 90% of today's cars are.

You will have to treat the bumper differently than the metal because urethane bumpers need a plastic prep prior to priming and painting. The fact that you'll have to buy different products for the bumper will add to the material cost. I will estimate that you'll spend ~$200 on materials alone, so factor that into the cost vs a shop doing it. Also factor in this is described as I would do it, with a spray gun /compressor and high quality paint. If you intend to use shaker cans, the prep still applies, but I have never seen a shaker can job done on more than a small area that turned out looking good. Be prepared to accept mediocre results with spray cans, they aren't as glossy, don't match well, and are not nearly as durable as catalyzed enamels.

Firstly, you need to use a wax/grease remover like 3M's Do it 2x to ensure all wax and such is removed.

Next, the area must be sanded down with 320-400 grit and feathered out so that you feel no edge in the transition from good paint to the damaged areas. It must be completely smooth to the finger, because if you can FEEL a difference, you will SEE a difference after you paint it. You can use 600-800 grit to really smooth the paint edges down if you need to. The "good" paint must also be scuffed slightly beyond the repair with 400 grit wet sandpaper so that the primer and paint stick/bond. If you will be repainting the entire panel(s) over in Base/clear, you will have to scuff the entire panel this way. If you are only going to "blend in" the color, you still need to wetsand the entire panel, but with 800 grit wetsandpaper, so the new clearcoat will bite into the old clear. If this confuses you, then I will better try to explain it later.

You will have to use a 2k (2 part epoxy) primer surfacer after you have smoothed out the damaged area. Paint won't stick to metal or plastic without the proper bond coatings. You spray the primer surfacer and blend it out slightly onto the existing paint. You will have to scuff the primer with 400 grit or a scotch brite red scuff pad. On the urethane bumper, you'll need some plastic prep liquid. Without it, the paint won't stick- it will literally peel off. So use the plastic prep, then a urethane bumper primer , or a primer surfacer that will work for both metal and plastic parts.

Then you should use the wax/ grease remover again, then a tack cloth, then paint.

It's a complicted, labor intensive process that takes time to do right.

Don't be afraid to ask about any of these details or any I may have omitted, because explaining it all isn't easy. I need to know the paint type and if you plan to "blend" the paint into what's there, or repaint the bumper and body panel in their entirety.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-24-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 08:42 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repair cost

Hey Guitarman,

I went to my local Auto body repair shop and the guy their gave me an estimate for $250 dollars to fix the scratch. Does that sound like a good deal ?? By the way where in Florida do you live?? Do you paint cars for a living? I just wanted to know b/c I was thinking about getting my car repainted. Thanks
Old 12-03-03, 01:37 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vinster, I guess that's about right, because they have to sand /fill the scratched area and basically re-clear the whole panel. Not a bad price if they use quality paint.

I live in Ormond Beach, and I only paint for myself on occasion, a hobby formed out of need once upon a time after I turned 17 (now 46). I couldn't afford to take my cars to shops back then, and so I learned how to do bodywork and paint since I HAD to have nice paint, heheh. I'm a pro detailer , not a pro painter, but if you're somewhere in my vicinity I can recommend some people to you, and I'd always be willing to help you out with any detailing related paint probs if need be.

Cheers. Dan H

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-03-03 at 01:39 PM.