Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Sorry to bring up Ecru interior cleaning again but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 11:09 AM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry to bring up Ecru interior cleaning again but...

I've read all the posts and advice and actually followed your advice without success.

I have owned my Pebble Beach SC for 3 weeks I am already seeing dark patches on the center and driver's side arm rest. I ordered Zaino Bros cleaner off the web and have used it without success. I also tried several German leather cleaners, and Meguiar's Aloe cleaner. I have applied Zaino Leather in a Bottle to the interior every weekend since owning the car. I do not wear jackets that transfer color (usually wool) and wear cotton dress shirts. I'm very worried that this problem will only get worse despite my extensive efforts to avoid this. I'd appreciate any advice and product recommendations. Does Lexus make ecru-colored stain to apply to the affected areas?

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 12-02-03, 12:11 PM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 3 weeks?

I can't imagine what would cause such an effect in 3 weeks. I have driven my ecru through 3 summers with nothing but the normal effect in which airborne dirt accumulates and causing the ecru to slowly turn grey unless cleaned.

I have found Zaino leather conditioner to be just great, but the cleaner is, in my opinion, fairly weak.

For general heavy cleaning I finally used Leatherique, which is excellent at removing the build up of regular dirt, especially on the rear seats, which are not protected by the windshield. I do not know how it is at spot cleaning.

On those two areas, you might try a mild Dawn and water mixture, which can work, or some other even stronger cleaner.

It's possible that there might be something wrong with your armrests, since such staining seems excessive for a few weeks. Ask the dealer to check it out. I don't think Lexus makes any stain, which would only cover up the problem, and not very well, I would guess.
Old 12-02-03, 12:37 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, maybe there are different batches of leather used by Lexus.

I owned an 02 SC and traded it in after 10 months because the ecru leather looked so bad. I treated and cleaned the leather monthly and sometimes weekly in the summer. It just looked like crap. I finally brought it to the attention of the service dept. and they paid to have the leather re-dyed. It looked great after that. But, after a couple of weeks, the discoloration and marks started showing up again.

Then I traded it in for an 03 SC with Saddle interior. I have not had any discoloration at all with the saddle.

I am sure everything is much more obvious on the ecru, but I had dark areas on all of the armrests and where my knee touched the door.

Good Luck, I loved the look of the ecru but I could not stand the dark spots.

TjZ
Old 12-02-03, 12:48 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are using the Zaino cleaner, are you using a soft brush? I use a toothbrush with the cleaner and it takes out almost everything.