Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mercedes new ceramic clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 06:52 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mercedes new ceramic clearcoat

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...es-benz/1.html

Interesting.
Old 12-03-03, 10:29 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, that is really interesting. The work of the chemical engineers undoubtedly will allow the MB cars (and maybe the baby Chrysler group as well) to have a better paint appearance many years down the road and thus help w/ the resale value.

Anyways, wonder when the technology will trickle to other automotive manufacturers? Probably a few years down the road. . .
Old 12-04-03, 08:07 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're correct on that SeattleGS400...

Thing is, they almost have to come up with a way to do it outside the factory because there are a number of vehicles that will need to be painted after transit , due to some damage. You would be amazed at the BRAND NEW cars I see that have had paintwork. My neighbor brought home a silver 2003 Grand Marquis last year, and immediately had me wax it. The front D/S fender was repainted, much to his chagrin when I showed him. And I haveseen other examples of new-car paintwork at the dealership level to fix transit and lot damage. I can see Mercedes having warranty complaint issues if owners' paint quaility isn't uniform in durability, so I want to see where this leads.

Notice also it's lacquer -based. No isocyanates like catalyzed enamels, and VOC compliant as mentioned.

Still, I think pretty much the way you do; the industry will get the cost on this down and we'll all be buying new cars with this paint someday, although I also hear that glossy /pigmented plastic panels ( no paint on them-just the shiny plastic itself ) are also on the horizon. I suppose that cost is the deciding factor.

I can't wait to see one in person, and I'll have to know what polishes can be used and which can't (or shouldn't). This will change a few things for detailers and body shop professionals, if only for buffing and caring for them.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-04-03 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-06-03, 08:25 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SeattleGS400

Anyways, wonder when the technology will trickle to other automotive manufacturers? Probably a few years down the road. . .
The OEM paint system suppliers to DaimlerChrysler are PPG, BASF Glasurit, and Herberts, which is part of DuPont. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered the technology in a few years on the OEM and aftermarket scale.

Last edited by nthach; 12-06-03 at 08:27 AM.