Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dings and Lovebugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 12:35 PM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dings and Lovebugs

What do you guys suggest for my front bumper? I bought my Lex used and have some chips on the bumper from lovebugs etc. I can get the lovebugs off but the paint needs work...do you suggest touchup paint? If so, what is best way to apply?
Old 12-11-03, 10:27 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't mess with the blotchy touch-up paint bottles. Use a pen-type touch-up paint instead--you'll get better results from thinner coat application and more control of paint flow. Pens are available from:

1. www.autovisuals.com
2. www.paintscratch.com

I've used the touch-up pens on my black '99 GS400, and it works wonders--no bumps like the old-school bottles, just nice flat layers of paint that you build up to match the chips/scratches. Once you use the pens, you'll never go back. . .
Old 12-12-03, 06:59 AM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which ones do you recommend? Just the basecoat or basecoat and clearcoat? I have black SC430.
Old 12-12-03, 07:55 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI (contrary to what you may have heard), Black Onyx is the only body color on Lexus cars that does not have clearcoat. So you will most likely need just the basecoat applicant.

I've done touch-ups using the Autovisuals pen for my black ES300 this past summer, and the results are so much better than the brush bottle method. Here's a link outlining my paint pen experience:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=90844
Old 12-12-03, 10:18 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by 1ton
Which ones do you recommend? Just the basecoat or basecoat and clearcoat? I have black SC430.
As lexusk8 says, Lexus Black Onyx (code 202) does not have clearcoat, so all that you need is the basecoat. A few days after application, I usually clean-up the area with a paint cleaner/polish, then wax it to keep it looking new.

My experience was with Autovisuals pens (I also bought a fine point felt tip for fine scratches), but again, Paintscratch's pens are probably very similar.
Old 12-27-03, 11:05 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Paint repair needed for bumper

I have a Green Lexus with a Gray bumper. I wanted to buy a paint pen to fix the gray paint on my bumper. I found the main green color code for my Lexus but I can't find the paint color for the gray bumper, either on the car or on the autovisuals website. Would I be able to still get a paint pen to fix my bumper or will I have to buy a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer? Do I have buy the a clearcoat pen as well to make the touchup-paint match the rest of the car?? And does anyone know a Lexus Dealer that sells paint pens cheaper than autovisuals or paintscratch .com?? Thanks
Old 12-27-03, 09:45 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Paint repair needed for bumper

Originally posted by vinster29
I have a Green Lexus with a Gray bumper. I wanted to buy a paint pen to fix the gray paint on my bumper. I found the main green color code for my Lexus but I can't find the paint color for the gray bumper, either on the car or on the autovisuals website. Would I be able to still get a paint pen to fix my bumper or will I have to buy a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer? Do I have buy the a clearcoat pen as well to make the touchup-paint match the rest of the car?? And does anyone know a Lexus Dealer that sells paint pens cheaper than autovisuals or paintscratch .com?? Thanks
The color code list on the Autovisuals website is not a comprehensive list, and as you can tell doesn't include all the gray cladding colors of the Lexus vehicles. It's best to call their toll-free number (found on their website) and ask for the color code of your gray cladding/bumper. You can also ask if a clearcoat pen is needed (most likely not) in addition to the paint pen. No Lexus dealership sells paint pens; they usually provide brush-type bottles.