Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino streaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-03 | 07:25 AM
1ton
Driver

Default Zaino streaks

Sorry to keep on talking about Zaino.

I have tried reapplying Zaino again. I understand everyone says to use the products in a back and forth motion, not circular. I have black onxy. I can see streaks of everything I do. When I use Z5, I let it dry, then wipe off with 100% cotton Fieldcrest (white) towel. I see streaks...looks like wet streaks but is not. It says to apply think layer, that is what I do. Then I try to put on the Z6 polish and do back and forth motions as well. MORE streaks. I have tried circular motions with the Z6 and it is much better. I have also tried to mix the Z6 with some distilled water. I have also tried mixing a spray bottle of the Z7 with distilled water then misting some on the hood and wipe down after Z5 before Z6.

Is this normal? Car still looks good but I am being very picky. I am rotating my towel, etc. I think I have tried every trick in the book. Any HELP is welcome here.
Old 12-15-03 | 08:40 AM
Guitarman

Default It's not uncommon

Relative humidity (even in winter) plays a big role in streaking, and to a certain extent there's not much you can do about that, but here's a couple things to try...

Allow the Zaino to dry overnight, or at least a few more hours. The longer it "airs" out and cures, the less likely to streak. If the humidity in the air is high, it will take longer for Zaino to fully cure.

Apply it so thin that you can hardly tell it's going on. It only has to make SURFACE CONTACT to cross-link and do what it does, so you sometimes have to take a leap of faith that you're applying enough. If the pad is touching the paint, and the pad has ANY residual Zaino on it. then you probably are applying enough.

When you first strat out applying, spritz one spritz of Z6 onto the cotton applicator and apply your X of Z2 or Z5 on it, then fold it over itself to spread it. That "X" of polish should get you almost half the car, not including the roof/ hood etc.Sounds unreasonable at first, but if the paint is smooth as glass and healthy (not oxidized) that little amount will go real far, and that's how thin you want to be applying it. Black is a bit easier in this respect than lighter colors because you can better see some difference in tone when you are applying. You really need to take a leap of faith on white or silver because you can't see what's going on when applying that thin.

It takes a bit of time( a few times) , but you start to get it down.

Now, if using circular motions is the only thing you can do to remedy the streaks, then go for it. The Zaino instructions want you to APPLY it that way because of the way light reflects afterwards, and it's also good for preventing swirls. You *may * have some swirls, but if you're careful about what you use to remove it etc. probably not, you might be fine.

Point is, Zaino and other waxes and sealants are prone to streaking via humidity and dew point, and if you like the product(s) then you have to find a way to make good of it. It sounds like you have already figured out how. I have always been successful at eliminating them by wiping a thin mist of Z6 PERPINDICULAR to the way the Zaino was applied, AFTER I buffed off the "indicators" (haze).

You would also find the streaking would start to dissappear after a few days, when it fully cures off. But yeah- who wants to drive around with streaks on their ride? Me neither!

Hope this helps...Keep up the good work 1ton.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-15-03 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-15-03 | 10:47 AM
lucino
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys.

I just ordered my Zaino last Friday. Can't wait for my Z5 and ZFX to come in. i heard Z1 is on its way out.

Lucino
Old 12-15-03 | 10:52 AM
1ton
Driver

Thanks for the advise. I think FL is generally really humid. I am using the Z5 with the ZFX so the dry time should not take as long. I am only waiting 10 minutes or so before I buff off. I will try letting it sit longer. Also, I will try the perpendicular approach to the Z6. I was doing it in the same motions.
Old 12-15-03 | 01:44 PM
Guitarman

Yes, Florida isn't kind to us as far as humidity, and I fight it all year as you do.

Good idea about waiting a bit longer with the ZFX. I know that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to layer quickly, but that's the price we pay here.

Let us know if those things help any 1ton. Good luck also to you Lucino, tell us what you think of the product.