Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 12:23 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint

I am the victim of hateration, right front side fender has about a 5 inch scratch, not fixable with touch up paint, not extremely deep, but deep enough to show some white (car is Spectra Blue). I searched the forum, so sorry if this has been answered.

What are my options? Do I have to get the whole fender painted, and if so, should it be dome by Lexus to ensure proper color fit and eliminate 'environmental' variables? Secondly, is it true you should only get your car painted in spring or summer? Should I trust a MAACO or some other local shops using the yellow pages? There are also ads on CL for doing it with other products, are these worth researching?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-04, 03:27 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had something like a Ford Taurus maybe you could get away with just using some touch up paint but you will have to dish out the dough and get the whole fender painted,

I had a big deep scratch on my old Es300 3 yrs ago and this guy in Brooklyn did a great job with out painting the whole rear quarter panel. His shop is in East New York, Brooklyn. On corner of Eastern Parkway and Rockway Av. He charged me $350 and it took 2 days. My car was also a unique color and he was able to get the same color. Good luck.
Old 01-01-04, 03:38 PM
Guitarman

Ranjankhan, there *may* be some possible good news here...

Because you describe the scratch as showing white inside it, this means that it didn't go all the way through to the base color (blue). When you scratch clearcoat, it always turns white.

This means that it can be wetsanded (pro detailer or body shop) and IF there's enough clear BELOW the scratch, they can level the surrounding paint near the scratch to the same level, in essence making the scratch disappear.
I've done it with cars that have been keyed, and you'd never know it ever had a scratch there. It all depends on how much clearcoat they have to remove to get it and how skilled they are.

If you're so inclined , I can provide you with the info necessary to try to wetsand it yourself. You have to look at it this way; If you can't live with it the way it is, you either wetsand it out or have it repainted. If you wetsand it and wind up going THROUGH the clear, well, you took the risk and have to have it repainted anyway. But I would sure give it a shot before I went to a paint shop and forked over ~$300. You have little to lose really.

If you're too scared to try it yourself, check out local detailers or body shops that are willing to try the wetsanding as long as you don't hold them liable if they break through the clear in the attempt. If they get it, they're heroes and you save a ton of $$$. If they fail, then you go and get it painted as you originally thought you'd have to. Make sense?

Sorry to hear about it, best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-01-04 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 04:13 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

break through the clear? wouldn't someone who is painting sand it down anyway, thus removing a coat regardless? wetsand, wouldn't they charge me close to $300 anyway? actually, what is wetsand? lol

Frankyl, $300 is not bad for a front quarter, done right, Dealer much more?

thanks
Old 01-01-04, 06:17 PM
Guitarman

I don't think you understand what wetsanding does in this case...

If you want to avoid paintwork, and just want someone to try and remove the scratch for under $50, they can *possibly* wetsand it out, then buff and polish the area. I have done similar for my customers for ~$30.

Yes, you wetsand before you paint, but you can also wetsand paint scratches, etching and other problems away if you have enough paint on the car, and the damage isn't too bad.

If in doubt, just ask a detailer or shop to look at it and see if it's do-able and for how much $$$. If not, THEN get some paint estimates. You may be delightfully surprised that you don't need a repaint. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-01-04 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 06:22 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry being a novice, I guess I will look for 'wetsand', and auto body or paint work. I tend to be reminded of Maaco, as well as it coming up in search results. Are they one of the best?
Old 01-01-04, 06:51 PM
Guitarman

I tend to be reminded of Maaco, as well as it coming up in search results. Are they one of the best?
No, they aren't generally regarded as the best, usually they're at the other end of the auto paint spectrum.
I would ask people at car shows and see who they use, or check into 4 or 5 body shops in your area, and examine their work. Remember, you get what you pay for, and a Lexus deserves quality work as i'm sure you know. Be patient and thorough, and ask around who's GOOD, not who's cheap. You might even want to post in reference to this-maybe someone here is nearby you and can recommend a quality paint shop.
Good luck.
Old 01-01-04, 08:06 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

or just go to Lexus?
Old 01-01-04, 10:04 PM
Guitarman

Sure, they're as good a gamble as anyone I guess.

P.S. I still think you should ask them if it can be wet sanded out first. If they tell you it's too deep, then at least you tried.
Old 01-23-04, 12:02 PM
mickey513
Driver School Candidate

Should just get it repainted..
Old 01-23-04, 12:50 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

k, by whom?
Old 02-09-04, 04:55 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota Dealer has a 'bake' process, and will do my half foot right front panel scratch for $350, trying to match my hood and rear door spectra blue as best he can. $400 including in and out detail. Good?
Old 02-09-04, 05:50 PM
Guitarman

It's in the ballpark. Not low, but acceptable for high quality work. Good luck.
Old 02-15-04, 10:54 AM
sirlexus98
Driver School Candidate

hi theres nothing like doing it right. and forget macco. it should cost between 150.00 and 250.00 to get it done right. i do custom painting so thats what i would charge
good luck
Old 02-15-04, 12:29 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

sirlexus, I guess you are implying Dealer, as they would best know their own cars, no?

Quick Reply: Paint