Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Newbie Questions, Zaino...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 12:23 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions, Zaino...

OK, hope these questions have not been asked-at least lately
I have just bought a 99' GS 400 in White, paint appears to be in very good condition. As time goes on I would like to enhance and preserve the finish. I am considering Zaino Products as I have seen many use it here with good results. I would first like to clean/strip the finish, then polish, then wax or seal. After that just refinish according to which product I use. Suggestions, much appreciatted and Thanks for your help.

#1 Are Lexus Products as good as Zaino?(just curious)

#2 Can I use Zaino Products for all my car needs?
Washing
Cleaning
Waxing
Polishing
Windows
Wheels(chrome)
Tires
I would just like to stick with one Brand if possible.

#3 Is Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish going to work on the Chrome 17" stock wheels?
How about the metal strip that goes around the car?

#4 As Zaino has about 14 items, which ones are the best? I do not think I am going to ever try the clay...

#5 Car has the Clear Bra, what works best on that, Zaino wise? just wash?

#6 Are the Leather Products from Zaino good, or should I use Lexol?

As mentioned GS is White and appears to be scratch free and already has a nice shine...

Thanks again,
kmh
Old 01-04-04, 12:24 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, where is the cheapest/best place to buy Zaino Products?

kmh
Old 01-04-04, 01:18 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 Are Lexus Products as good as Zaino?(just curious)

#2 Can I use Zaino Products for all my car needs?
Washing Yes. they have an excellent car wash shampoo, smells incredible too.

Cleaning As far as PAINT cleaning goes....They do not have a product that either solvent cleans bad paint nor is an abrasive cleaner. You will have to use another product to get the paint in perfect shape prior to applying Zaino. 3M or Meguiar's professional line of compounds and polishes are 2 of the top brand choices for getting paint perfect. Zaino will actually MAGNIFY any scratches or swirls, so you have to do the prep work well. For GENERAL cleaning of the interior etc. they do not currently offer a product for such.

Waxing Zaino takes the place of wax, it is a polymer sealant-it shines and protects the finish. Unfortunately, they chose to lable their products as a "polish", when in fact a true "polish" is something that has NO protective abilities in it, just something that has abrasives to level /remove paint problems and clarify the finish. People tend to get confused by the semantics when companies do this word game , but it's just marketing. In other words, Zaino sells no "true" polishes, as all their paint sealants are strictly to increase gloss and add protection as a wax would, but they are all NON-abrasive formulations.

Polishing Again...Zaino is not a "polish" in the strict sense of the word. It is not intended for nor can it cure oxidation or severe swirls. It is a synthetic wax, which is what a polymer sealant is.

WindowsThey do sell a glass polish, known as Z12

Wheels(chrome)Their paint sealants (Z2 Z3 and Z5) are great at protecting chrome. You will need to use a dedicated chrome polish to clean first however, as the Zaino polishes are all non-abrasive and non-cleaning.

TiresZaino Z16 'Perfect Tire Gloss' is great on tires, gives a "new" look to them, but not a real shiny look as some may like.
I would just like to stick with one Brand if possible.

#3 Is Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish going to work on the Chrome 17" stock wheels?
How about the metal strip that goes around the car? You would be better off using one of their UV enhanced paint protectant polishes ( again-Z2 Z3 or Z5) for those items.

#4 As Zaino has about 14 items, which ones are the best? I do not think I am going to ever try the clay... There is no one "best", they are different products for different needs and jobs, otherwise they would only sell just 1 product. For instance, Z3 is for cars with single -stage paint, Z2 is best for light colored cars that don't show swirls that easily, and Z5 is for darker colors that are prone to show swirls. Their other products are for single purpose (i.e windows, leather, quick detail) specific tasks.

#5 Car has the Clear Bra, what works best on that, Zaino wise? just wash? Whichever polish you use on your paint will work perfectly over the clear bra, they (clear bras)are just another form of polymer like your paint, which is mostly another form of plastic (urethane enamel).

#6 Are the Leather Products from Zaino good, or should I use Lexol? Subjective. Many prefer it to Lexol.

I *believe* there is no place that discounts Zaino products, so you will pay the same no matter where you order it from. Shipping may vary though, (not sure about that).

Try their website, I have always had great results and fast delivery with them; www.zainobros.com

Best of luck, hope this helped.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-04-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-04-04, 01:27 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

Dan, good info-big help,
Thanks Bro!

kmh
Old 01-04-04, 01:30 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

<There is no one "best", they are different products for different needs and jobs, otherwise they would only sell just 1 product. For instance, Z3 is for cars with single -stage paint, Z2 is best for light colored cars that don't show swirls that easily, and Z5 is for darker colors that are prone to show swirls. Their other products are for single purpose (i.e windows, leather, quick detail) specific tasks.>

Dan, Does this mean that I should use the Z2 with a white gs?

kmh
Old 01-04-04, 01:38 PM
Guitarman

Yes Kmh, I use it Z2 on my pearl white GS too. It supposedly has more optical purity without the swirl "fillers' that the Z5 has, although most will tell you the human eye cannot tell the difference between the 2 (Z5 & Z2).

It's cheaper, and will do the same thing pretty much. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-04-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-04-04, 02:06 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

OK Dan-thanks

Last question for now, do you think the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive is helpful?

kmh
Old 01-04-04, 04:56 PM
Guitarman

Most folks that use it give it the thumbs up. I have never ordered it mainly because I DON'T want to put 3 layers of sealant on in 1 day, I'm more than happy with just 1.

It's totally up to your wallet and how much time you have to spend on your car, and what your goals are.

Once you mix the polish with the ZFX additive, whatever you don't use is wasted ( becuse it is essentially like a curing "hardener" like you'd use with an epoxy etc.) , so factor that into your decision. Enjoy

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-04-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 06:17 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Zaino Tips

Please see my post here on Zaino Tips:Zaino Tips Part One and Two

Also, you may want to frequent one of the best detailing sites: Autopia

Enjoy your Zaino, just remember it's the prep prior to Zaino that gives you the best results.

Regards,
Deanski

Last edited by Deanski; 01-10-04 at 06:17 AM.