Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black onyx & non-clearcoat database info needed from all

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 09:57 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, and all the other folks for all the latest replies.
Old 06-13-09, 08:38 PM
GotMyckees
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i did "THE TEST" on my 1995 black es300 with original paint. i removed some minor scratches with rubbing compound and a light blue microfiber towel and BAM, black paint all over the wipe. proves there is no clear coat and that i'm scared to rub that same area twice, i may rub all the way down to the metal! maybe, just maybe
Old 06-13-09, 09:45 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotMyckees
so i did "THE TEST" on my 1995 black es300 with original paint. i removed some minor scratches with rubbing compound and a light blue microfiber towel and BAM, black paint all over the wipe. proves there is no clear coat and that i'm scared to rub that same area twice, i may rub all the way down to the metal! maybe, just maybe
If you are the original owner or know the original owner did not take care of the car other than the occasional washes, there is no need to worry. Single Stage paint is so much easier to correct than a paint with a separate clear coat.
Old 06-14-09, 07:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMyckees
Don't loose sight of the fact that clear is paint just like SS paint and when you use a compound on either CC or SS paint you are removing paint. In the case of CC you just don't see it on your pads and applicators because it is clear.

I'd not be too worried about the color transfer. That is a normal result of polishing or compounding. As with any abrasive product, be careful, especially around the edges where the paint is thinest. CC is typically, but not always, harder than SS paint but the same principals of correction hold true. Only use polishes and compounds aggressive enough to remove the blemish. You don't want to remove more paint than is necessary to correct the defect.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-14-09 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 06:28 PM
LexFather

Bump for any other vehicles...