Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 11:34 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in getting Zaino complete kit for my GS350 , which is about 8 months old (LS430 is 3 years old), so do I need to clay bar it first?

Please advise, thank you.
Old 07-30-07, 12:47 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Interested in getting Zaino complete kit for my GS350 , which is about 8 months old (LS430 is 3 years old), so do I need to clay bar it first?

Please advise, thank you.
If it hasn't been clayed before, then yes, I would highly recommend using the clay bar first.
Old 09-03-07, 03:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by froll
Try adding a layer of ZCS - will give even a deeper shine
Followed by a spritz of Z8 and get some sunglasses.
Old 09-05-07, 07:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I see lots of people saying good things about Zaino. So I finally went to the website to check out the photos. They sure look sparklingly nice. However, my usual Zymol wax works just as well and only require one application to get the same deep mirror finish in those photos. Zaino requires 3-4 steps. So IMO Zaino is way over-hyped. Again just my opinion.
Kinda surprised nobody ever posted this in reply-

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

The famous comparo test where Zaino handily beats Zymol
Old 09-05-07, 10:05 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Kinda surprised nobody ever posted this in reply-

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

The famous comparo test where Zaino handily beats Zymol
Give me a break! That's comparing Zaino vs Turtle Wax, not Zymol estate glazes. I guess that's why no one ever posted that in reply.

Plus, Zymol vs Zaino is literally comparing apples & oranges. Synthetic polymer sealant vs natural carnauba wax. Although Zaino is a great product (and I still use it on occasion), it cannot get the depth of a carnauba. Others might differ in opinion, but that's just mine.
Old 10-11-07, 09:54 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I have finally ZAINOed my GS350 this week, it looks amazing!!!

It takes longer than expeced to apply, but it is worth the time and effort!!!

I guess I have done my "workout" for the year!!!
Attached Thumbnails Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-gs350c.jpg  
Old 10-12-07, 12:47 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

SLK....looking sharp and shiney!!! I purchased the kit w/ AIO, Clear Seal, and the finishing spray.(The clear seal didn't apply like I had expected) Just ordered my PC 7424 and Lakes pads.
Old 10-16-07, 10:04 AM
05LSV
Lead Lap

Since I don't get my new Lexus till tomorrow and I'm a big Zaino fan, here's a pic of my boat after a Zaino application. I love this stuff!!
Attached Thumbnails Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)-zaino-results-6-2-06-resized.jpg  
Old 03-02-08, 09:37 AM
LexFather

I just used Zaino Polish and Spray Polish last night and I've never seen my GS so black. I am pretty shocked at the difference.
Old 05-30-08, 07:42 PM
zxc1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Ok guys and gals, there has been some confusion for some about a few of the Zaino polish products, so I took the time to make a phone call to Sal today, and tried to get the skinny on his 3 primary sealant polishes and their engineered uses. Here goes...

Z3 CAN be used on either single stage paint or clearcoat paint, no problem whatsoever. Some of the Corvette guys have been using Z3 on their cars for a while now FWIW. This I knew...

Z5 was engineereed for BOTH types.This I didn't know.

If you have Z2 and want to use it on single stage, it won't hurt it, BUT, it also won't work as well as it would on clearcoat, because Z3 has ingredients in it (emuslifiers etc.) that will not benefit clearcoat, but DO benefit the needs of any single stage paint, regardless if it's newer S/S urethane enamel, or an old car with acrylic lacquer or acrylic enamel. So...

Z2= Use on clearcoat cars for best results.

Z3=Use on single stage for best results, but also CAN be used on clearcoated cars with no problems. Sal said your eye won't tell a difference.

Z5 Can be used on either. For those that are UNSURE which paint they have , Z5 is a safe bet to use for either type paint. This did surprise me, but after all, he owns the company and knows what his chemists have done.

I hope this helps.
What is the best product to use on 'clear bra'?
Old 07-28-08, 11:48 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

um, damn LOL. Zaino looks real nice, but can't I just apply a polish after I wash/clay, then spread a layer of Zaino Z5? or do I have to buy like 9238749832 Zaino products to apply it?
Old 11-07-08, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I use zaino all of the time and I am pretty sure that this info is on the website. for best accuracy check there or just call them
Old 12-12-08, 11:33 AM
laski
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to locate someone in Houston who can do this "first application". I'm scared if I try and get a regular detail shop to do it, they wont do the job correctly.
Old 03-15-09, 05:31 PM
clellandm
Driver School Candidate

Question Black = no cleatcoat???

I have heard nothing but good things about Zaino products from a friend with an Infiniti G35, so was reading this thread as well as a few other detailing-related threads before placing the order.

I read something slightly disturbing and wanted to see if anyone could confirm since it affects which polish I will need. I have a 2009 IS250 in Obsidian Black and saw that Lexus doesn't put clearcoat on their black cars. That seems crazy to me, but is it correct?
Old 03-16-09, 10:19 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clellandm
I have heard nothing but good things about Zaino products from a friend with an Infiniti G35, so was reading this thread as well as a few other detailing-related threads before placing the order.

I read something slightly disturbing and wanted to see if anyone could confirm since it affects which polish I will need. I have a 2009 IS250 in Obsidian Black and saw that Lexus doesn't put clearcoat on their black cars. That seems crazy to me, but is it correct?
Yes, Lexus/Toyota black does not have a clearcoat. That should not affect polish type though. From what I've heard, there is a clear thats mixed in with the paint. How true this is, I don't know, but I've also heard this from paint/body shop employees.

Quick Reply: Clearing up some Zaino questions (direct from Sal himself)