Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what wax is good

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04, 02:16 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what wax is good

i have a 2003 black gs300 and now know that it has no clear coat. what are some good waxes out there for a car with no clear coat. i received a meguiars gift set with gold class clear coat paste wax but i guess i can't be using that since my car is not clear coat. so can anyone here recommend a good wax. i see alot of zymol or zaino listed but is there others that someone will recommend???????
Old 01-10-04, 02:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I heard someone else say that, I wonder if your car has NO clear coat, then what keeps the paint from fading and cracking really quick?

Could someone thats a Lexus paint guru chime in on this one?
Old 01-10-04, 02:40 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

good question dgot20s i wonder what keeps the paint from fading and cracking really quick. anyways what's a good wax and polish for a non clear coat. i dunno what to use.
Old 01-12-04, 07:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally posted by aznxguy714
good question dgot20s i wonder what keeps the paint from fading and cracking really quick. .
anyways what's a good wax and polish
Old 01-12-04, 08:33 AM
TouringGS
Rookie

I'm by no means a paint tech, but I believe that what Lexus does regarding cars with "no clearcoat" is painting them in one single stage, and not in two. For example, cars labeled as "no clearcoat" are painted in a single stage, where the clear is mixed in with the onyx and painted in one stage as opposed to painting the base color followed by the layer of clear coat.

If anyone has more information on the methods of paint Lexus uses I'm sure they'll post a reply.

I have an onyx Lexus, and as far as waxes go I use carnuba based waxes just cause I love the way they make dark colors look. When it comes to polishes, some of the non/less-abrasive or "finishing" polishes I've used are Meguiar's show car glaze, and 3M's perfect it line and Poorboy's pro polish (both of these were recommended to me at another forum) and I was pleased with the results.
Old 01-12-04, 10:24 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2001 ES300 (also in Black Onyx), and my personal favorite is the Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax.

Before every wax routine, I usually clean the paint by removing any surface contaminants or oxidation, and polish up every surface with the Quik Detailer spray. From my experience, the wax on my ES lasts up to 3-4 months, which is pretty darn good for a car parked outside with the New England weather every day
Old 01-12-04, 11:29 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For example, cars labeled as "no clearcoat" are painted in a single stage, where the clear is mixed in with the onyx and painted in one stage as opposed to painting the base color followed by the layer of clear coat.
FWIW, both systems used by Lexus (and every other oem manufacturer for the most part ) whether single stage or base/clear, is urethane enamel. The clearcoat is just a non-pigmented urethane, while the single stage is pigmented urethane.

If you are looking primarily for protection vs a certain type of shine, I suggest a polymer sealant (Zaino, Klasse AIO, Blackfire, Meguiar's #20 etc) over a carnauba wax. They will far outlast waxes, and some (Zaino) also contain UV40. Your paint also contains UV inhibitors, but the extra UV on top sure can't hurt. These are the best choices IMO for anyone that doesn't want to wax monthly.

If you want a (subjectively) deeper look, and don't mind applying wax more often, then try the product lexusk8 suggested, or another carnauba wax such as Mothers, ZyMol, Souveran, Blitz etc.
Old 01-12-04, 12:49 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

Originally posted by Guitarman
FWIW, both systems used by Lexus (and every other oem manufacturer for the most part ) whether single stage or base/clear, is urethane enamel. The clearcoat is just a non-pigmented urethane, while the single stage is pigmented urethane.

I knew a paint guru would chime in at some point. Appreciate the info.

Originally posted by Guitarman
If you are looking primarily for protection vs a certain type of shine, I suggest a polymer sealant (Zaino, Klasse AIO, Blackfire, Meguiar's #20 etc) over a carnauba wax. They will far outlast waxes, and some (Zaino) also contain UV40. Your paint also contains UV inhibitors, but the extra UV on top sure can't hurt. These are the best choices IMO for anyone that doesn't want to wax monthly.

I agree, polymer sealants provide more long lasting protection. I didn't mention them before since he just wanted to know about good waxes. You could also apply a layer of the sealant of your choice, and apply a layer of a good carnuba (non-cleaner) wax over the sealant for the shine and extra bit of protection.
Old 01-12-04, 01:06 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

according to 2 service managers at a lexus dealership they both replied that black onyx is clearcoated. they say my 03 gs300 is clear coated this is what one had to say In response to your question about about your car the answer is yes. As one
of the last
processes at the factory your car was clearcoated. Thanks for contacting
Lexus of Westminster. don't know if this is true but oh well imma stick with the carnuba wax that i have been using by meguiars
Old 01-16-04, 12:59 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used a few waxes in the past, so far my favorites are the following combination (I'm sure there are just as good products out there as well):

1. Meguiar's #9 (paint polish combined with a fine-cut cleaner in it). This helps to clear up minor imperfections in the paint while giving my black car a nice deep appearance to the finish. I use this product BEFORE waxing, as polish is just that, a polish to bring out color, not give it protection). If the paint is really bad, I'd recommend using the Meguiar's Premium Paint Cleaner before applying #9.

2. Meguiar's #26 (Yellow Hi-tech wax). For some reason, this is wax of the most durable waxes I've used yet. It's lasted 3+ months, and still beads great. I apply this after the #9 polish (i.e. I apply #26 to the top layer to protect the polish and paint).

From the Meguiar's line, those 2 are my favorites. The consumer-line Deep Crystal system is a good product (used it for a few years), but I feel that the professional-line Meguair's #9 followed by #26 is an act above it with very good results.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 01-16-04 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-16-04, 04:00 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default which wax

Every car I have had looks new until I get rid of it. My wax combo: Meguires cleaner wax 4 times a year to clean the paint. Mothers carnauba wax every 2 or 3 months for shine and protection. Washing the car often (2 times a week) is part of the process. For 20 years I have used Turtlewax soap because it is mild enough to not strip wax but still strong enough to clean the surface. What you clean with is also important. No sponges on the paint(they cause fine scratches). The cloth used on the wheels shouldn't be used on the car.
Old 01-22-04, 06:35 PM
acf
Driver

The best wax I've used for durabilty and shine is Collinite Doublecoat 476s. Its specially "designed" to withstand detergents from self-serve car wash bays, etc. (winter washing) and can be layered like a sealant.
Old 01-24-04, 06:45 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default which wax

Originally posted by lexusk8
I have a 2001 ES300 (also in Black Onyx), and my personal favorite is the Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax.

Before every wax routine, I usually clean the paint by removing any surface contaminants or oxidation, and polish up every surface with the Quik Detailer spray. From my experience, the wax on my ES lasts up to 3-4 months, which is pretty darn good for a car parked outside with the New England weather every day
I went to the store to buy my favorite carnauba wax, Mothers. They were out. I tried the Meguiars. I may stick with it. The shine looks good. It was slightly easier to wipe off than Mothers. All I need to convince me is to see how durable it is.
Old 01-24-04, 07:03 AM
acf
Driver

Default Re: which wax

Originally posted by reggiek
I All I need to convince me is to see how durable it is.
You might get a couple good rains out of it.
Old 02-01-04, 01:43 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is such a huge choice and I have tried many of them except the Zaino because people have reported problems with protection form tree sap and bird poop. Since I like my cars to look good and require no more that twice a year application, I have concluded that the Nu-Finish paste is all I need for looks, protection and durability. I also use it on the rims and makes wasing off the brake dust easier.