Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino Z14 plastic polisher on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 12:04 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zaino Z14 plastic polisher on headlights

Sup guys.

My bottle of Zaino Z-14 plastic polisher came today. I just applied it to my old old old chipped hazed passenger headlight 10 min ago. Took out lots of scratches and blemishes, but still blurry. Feels like it's from the inside. But all outside ones are gone.

Some people said leave it on for a while. I just put on a few coats and going to leave it for an hour before i buff it out. We'll see what happens. I'll be back soon.
Old 01-23-04, 12:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

update:

After leaving it on for about an hour, it gets really dry. I took the coat off, and seems like that helped also.

It's not back to brand-new condition, but certainly alot better than what it was like before. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. Although my headlights were in super-ugly condition, they're now back to good condition. I would recommend it to you guys.
Old 01-23-04, 05:43 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, that's awesome to hear about the results! I assume that you just saved yourslef from spending about $1,000 on a new headlight?

Would you by any chance have a before and an after picture of the headlight? Just curious to see how good the plastic cleaner/polishes work.
Old 01-24-04, 12:19 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Hey, that's awesome to hear about the results! I assume that you just saved yourslef from spending about $1,000 on a new headlight?

Would you by any chance have a before and an after picture of the headlight? Just curious to see how good the plastic cleaner/polishes work.
I don't need to buy a new headlight anymore. I'm satisfied with the results. They're still different, but the passenger side now just looks dusty instead of old. When I put my StonGard headlight shield on in a few more days it'll be even better.

I don't have any before and after pics, sorry. My digital camera isn't good enough to take good enough pics. But think of it as a highly condensed, foggy, scratched headlight, now looking like a brand new headlight except some dust on it.
Old 01-24-04, 09:48 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great to hear! Can't wait to try my Meguiar's Plastic Polish and Cleaner on my headlights--they're not bad at all, but at least I know what to expect. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-04, 08:11 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Plastic polish choices

After reading the testimonials here, do you guys recommend the choice of Zaino and/or Meguiar's Plastic Polish over 3M Plastic Polish? I've been under the impression that all automotive plastic polish applicants have similar chemicals and ingredients. At any rate, I use 3M right now for my headlights and foglights (much more so for the fogs), and it doesn't seem to do a good job in taking out the pits from the fog light lenses. I'd like to bring back the smooth showroom-quality finish on the headlights and fog lights lenses (right now it's noticeably rough) Would Zaino or Meguiar's be able to do that?

Thanks guys, keep the reviews coming
Old 01-26-04, 04:15 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'd think it would depend on how deep the pitting is. I just used Z14 on my headlights which had light pitting and with time, repeated use, and lots of elbow grease pretty much resolved the issue on one. It took the better part of an hour though.

Has anyone tried something like a Dremel tool with the accesories used for polishing plastic???
Old 01-31-04, 02:07 AM
juan01
Pole Position

I have Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner (#17)... It does the job well... But, I'm not 100% happy because alot of the grime is stuck inside the housing....
Old 01-31-04, 04:51 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Since my last post, the service manager gave me his bottles of Meguiars Clear Plastic Cleaner #17 and the Clear Plastic Polish #10 (which the directions for #17 suggest using after cleaning).

#17 has more abrasive than Zaino Z14 and therefore requires less pressure and time, maybe 50% or less. Still need either #10 or Z14 as #17 does leave some extremely fine but visible scratching. I then follow that with Plexus polish (nice name for this forum) which seems to leave the plastic even smoother (but that could be placebo effect).

Also bought plastic polishing kit for my Dremel so I'm going to try that sometime this weekend since I've still got a headlight, two high beams, and possibly the fogs to go.
Old 09-13-04, 02:15 AM
Samchu329
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Zaino Z14 plastic polisher on headlights

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Sup guys.

My bottle of Zaino Z-14 plastic polisher came today. I just applied it to my old old old chipped hazed passenger headlight 10 min ago. Took out lots of scratches and blemishes, but still blurry. Feels like it's from the inside. But all outside ones are gone.

Some people said leave it on for a while. I just put on a few coats and going to leave it for an hour before i buff it out. We'll see what happens. I'll be back soon.

Nice reviews!
I am planning to do the same thing.
BTW, where did you get the Zaino Z-14? and any plastic cleaner you used before applied polisher? and cleaner you recommand?

Thank you
Old 09-13-04, 06:31 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Zaino Z14 plastic polisher on headlights

Originally posted by Samchu329
Nice reviews!
I am planning to do the same thing.
BTW, where did you get the Zaino Z-14? and any plastic cleaner you used before applied polisher? and cleaner you recommand?

Thank you
you can get all of the zaino products from his website..Heres the link..
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino
Old 09-13-04, 12:26 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I used Zaino Z14 on my SC400's headlights. They look brand new now. However, they were in decent condition to begin with. Were you using it on your GS? If so, I'm surprised they'd gotten that bad so soon. I also followed up with some Z-3 and Z-5 to give it some gloss and protection. As already noted, though, there are probably a # of products that can do a good job in these situations.
Old 09-13-04, 12:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's also makes a one step product called PlastX that is awesome. I have the separates too but this is really easy to use and works great.
Old 09-14-04, 04:56 PM
Samchu329
Pole Position

Originally posted by jfelbab
Meguiar's also makes a one step product called PlastX that is awesome. I have the separates too but this is really easy to use and works great.

where can we get that?
Old 09-14-04, 05:09 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by Samchu329
where can we get that?
I got it at AutoZone.