Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax/sealant that does not leave residue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 08:17 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wax/sealant that does not leave residue?

Gents;
Can anyone recommend a wax or sealant and polishes/cleaners that do NOT leave that chalky residue around doors,etc. I have a particular problem because I have the 3M clear plastic bra and I spend more time cleaning up along edges than waxing the whole car. I did a CL search and about the only thing I came up with was to use "simple green" to eliminate residue. I would prefer a wax that does not leave a residue so I can eliminate the clean-up afterwards. I currently use the Meguire's , polish ,cleaner and Gold class wax.
Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Ron
Old 01-25-04, 10:17 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, just about anything with abrasives (clays, silica etc. ) in them will do that, so you need to switch over to a wax or sealant with no abrasives. P21S, Blitz, Pinnicle Souveran are a few high end carnaubas that leave no residue. Zaino is an example of a polymer sealant that also leaves zero residue, but they only protect, they don't "clean" the paint. Meguiar's Gold Class has these powdery clays and silicas in it, counterproductive and redundant if you've polished prior. Make sense?

For polishing and cleaning, you're pretty much stuck since polish is engineered to "cut "paint to one degree or another-it's the nature of the beast, and that's how you get rid of oxidation etc.and get shine and clarity back. You can always tape off trim and crevices the 1 or 2 times a year (hopefully) you use abrasives, and that helps. The only other choice is to use a cleaner polish with mainly SOLVENT cleaners instead of abrasive cleaners. Klasse All In One comes to mind as a 1 step cleaner /sealant with solvent cleaners.

Thing is-once you polish the car, even with your abrasive compound/polishes, you should be able to avoid using it again for quite a while, and just use one of the waxes or sealants I mentioned above on a regular basis. By using a "cleaner wax" type product, you will always have to deal with the powdery residue every time you wax, to some degree. They're designed to be a "1 step" polish/wax product, but that compromise is what's giving you fits with the residue.

Toss it , do your prep with a polish if you must, then just use something non-abrasive thereafter as your last step. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-25-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 05:05 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiars Show Car Glaze is a polish that does not leave a white residue. Their Hi-Tech Yellow Carnauba wax does not either if applied as instructed.
Old 01-27-04, 08:01 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guitarman and jfelbab

Guys;
Thanks for the tips. Guitarman, as usual your tutoial was excellent. Thanks to you I now have a much better understanding of the cleaner, polish and wax situation. Great work.
jfelbab, I will try your combination this spring and let you know the results. That combo sounds about what I was looking for.
Thanks again for all your help. Many good hints in your responses and I will try to put them all to use.
Previously I wasn't as critical about the polish/wax situation but now with my Lexii I am trying to keep them as near perfect as possible. I guess that's the way you get as a Lexus owner.
Ron
Old 01-27-04, 09:06 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Guitarman and jfelbab

Originally posted by ron36330
...Previously I wasn't as critical about the polish/wax situation but now with my Lexii I am trying to keep them as near perfect as possible. I guess that's the way you get as a Lexus owner.
Ron
Actually I got that way in 1991 when i bought a new Crimson Red MR2. I still keep it around and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Not a single paint chip or door ding. It's hibernating now for the winter but I am anxious to get it out again.

I have had very good results using Meguiars Professional products.