Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Preventing/Decreasing Road Grime Buildup Question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-04, 10:55 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing/Decreasing Road Grime Buildup Question....

Is there a product that can reduce/prevent the buildup of road grime on the lower half of vehicles? I have a dark colored RX330, and the lower half of my doors are absolutely filthy after driving around in the rain. I have applied 4 coats of Zaino(Z-2) but the lower half of my vehicle is still covered with road grime after a long drive in the rain. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-04, 02:00 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmmm....That's a tall order

If there's anything that prevents or eliminates it moreso than Zaino or similar sealants/waxes, I don't know of it. Who knows, with chemical engineering in the next decade, maybe we'll see it, but they're already formulating products that attempt it (but largely fail) .

You need dirt to NOT stick at all, and I don't know if that's possible. You can probably find some products that aid in being able to rinse it off more easily than others, but I always felt Zaino was pretty good at that in itself. For example- Rain X sold a product that was advertised as a barrier against wheel dust, but it only made it easier to rinse away, not prevent it. Polymer technolgy can only go so far.

If anyone has found anything that works, let us in on it.
Old 02-09-04, 04:49 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Preventing/Decreasing Road Grime Buildup Question....

Originally posted by johnnieliu
Is there a product that can reduce/prevent the buildup of road grime on the lower half of vehicles? I have a dark colored RX330, and the lower half of my doors are absolutely filthy after driving around in the rain. I have applied 4 coats of Zaino(Z-2) but the lower half of my vehicle is still covered with road grime after a long drive in the rain. Any suggestions?
Yes, You can install some mud flaps, they are some nice styles out there and can be painted you match.