Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

3M Perfect-It Products

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 11:08 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3M Perfect-It Products

Hey guyz...any one of you tried using 3M Perfect-It products? Rubbing Compound? Foam Polishing Pad Glaze?

My autoshop just buffed out my car using these products.....AWESOME stuff. It took out the fine scratches....finish now looks like brand NEW!!

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Pete
Old 02-09-04, 05:58 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes Pete...

When it comes to abrasives for compounding and polishing, 3M is pretty much all I've used the last couple decades. They just plain old work.

In my garage right now, i'm able to do just about anything I need to do with various grits of wet sandpaper, their Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound, and Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (med-fine polish)and swirl remover in conjunction with a rotary buffer and various grades of buffing pads.

From cars that have been keyed, to severe oxidation, to excessive body shop orange peel, the above can do it all and produce glassy & glossy paint. I don't need anything else.
Old 02-09-04, 11:02 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Default Re: Yes Pete...

Originally posted by Guitarman
When it comes to abrasives for compounding and polishing, 3M is pretty much all I've used the last couple decades. They just plain old work.

In my garage right now, i'm able to do just about anything I need to do with various grits of wet sandpaper, their Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound, and Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (med-fine polish)and swirl remover in conjunction with a rotary buffer and various grades of buffing pads.

From cars that have been keyed, to severe oxidation, to excessive body shop orange peel, the above can do it all and produce glassy & glossy paint. I don't need anything else.
Guitarman -

Thanks for your valuable input. I think I need to buy a good polisher/buffer and some of these 3M products so I can do it at home. I've been using Zaino for about a year now....but after witnessing the transformation....I think I will be switching over to 3M from now on!!

Any suggestions on types of pad, type of buffer/polisher to buy?

Pete
Old 02-09-04, 06:27 PM
Guitarman

Well, I have to first explain that Zaino is NOTan abrasive, as are the 3M polishes, and it's not intended to do what they do. It's purpose is the same as wax ( it's technically a 'polymer sealant') , whereas the 3M abrasives are used to clean , buff and shine paint, but they have ZERO protection in them. That is where Zaino comes in, you apply Zaino AFTER you polish with the 3M products. Hope that clears things up. The people that market these products confuse people, because although they call Zaino a "polish", it isn't a true poish in the strict sense of the word, because polishes have abrasives. Zaino contains no abrasives. Semantics really.

So don't toss your Zaino and think the 3M will suffice, it won't.( unless you buy 3M wax etc. ) A daily driver needs wax or sealant on it.

A for the rest...

I use a rotary buffer, and it's the tool of the body shop/professional detailer (of which I am the latter) but it takes some practice to learn how to use it without damaging paint. Rotarys spin in a fixed circle, and generate heat to soften paint and break down compounds and polishes. I currently use this;

http://www.0ne-shop.com/universal/Br...7-Polisher.php

It's a heavy duty quality buffer, but you can spend a lot less and get something that will hold up fine for now and then use. The Makita is a 10+ amp so it's made for continuous use every day.
Check out WEN products, they make a cheap 3-4 amp rotary that's decent for the weekend detailer. I also have one as a backup and it never complained in 4 years of occasional use. There's a quality difference between the Makita and the WEN yes, but it still rotates and cuts paint, it does the job, just not as smooth, balanced, nor heavy duty, that's all. The WEN was about ~$60. FWIW, both units have variable speed (a MUST!) and a locking trigger.

If you buy a rotary, make sure you get a velcro backing plate (most come this way, although some charge extra, my Makita and WEN both came with one standard) The buffing pads , both foam and synthetic/wool blend pads almost all come with velcro (hook & loop) so you simply slap the pad on the backing plate and you're ready to go. It sticks via velcro.

You'll need a cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. I use 8" pads, mostly foam, although I have a couple blended wool pads too. The foam is less prone to cause swirls, but they also generate more heat. Other good brands to look into are DeWalt, and Black & Decker.

Now, if you don't want to go all out and buy a rotary buffer, you can opt for a compromise of sorts, between hand use and a rotary, which is called a D/A ( dual action) polisher . Porter Cable makes arguably the best on the market (have had one for many years, but I don't use it near as much as the rotary)

Here it is; http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

It spins in a random orbit, mimicking the motions of your hand. By doing this, it's hard to damage paint, almost impossible really, because it can't generate enough heat on 1 point this way , but....Because of this it also CANNOT cut paint and solve serious paint issues, you must use a rotary for those. The D/A polishers are really good for applying swirl removers and glazes, and liquid waxes, but that's about it. The rotarys do the really intensive stuff.

It's up to your needs and wallet which way you decide to go. Let me know if I can assist further.
Old 02-10-04, 11:30 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Dan....you da Man!! Thanks so much for taking time explaining the details of your trade. It doesn't sound easy at all. With that being said, I still gonna give it a try....I love a challenge.

Mahalo!!

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 02-11-04 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 07:48 AM
Guitarman

You're welcome Pete.
I think there's a need for some basic "Detailing 101' info here, as I've received a couple PM's about confusion on some of these things ( polish, clay etc.) and the how & why of using them, so I plan to work on a post that tries to break it all down into understandable language for the beginners.

Stay tuned folks, I just need some time and a not so busy day, to do it.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-11-04 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 03:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Guitarman -

How is this polisher?

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...536905#details

Pete
Old 02-17-04, 07:00 PM
Guitarman

Pete, that *appears* to be a very good deal, since it's listed here;

http://midwayautosupply.com/detailed...ption.asp?4622

For more $$$, and the retail is over $100. It does have 2 mandatory features; Locking trigger, and 0-3000 RPM range. Those are "must haves" on a rotary. It looks like a very good deal, and the motor is 11 amp motor is stout enough for pro use. I have no personal experience nor knowledge of Coleman tools, outside of their camp equipment, so I can't say if they're good or bad.

It will require some patience and practice on an old car (or a junkyard fender etc.) to learn how to use it first, so as to avoid damaging your paint, but a rotary like that in experienced hands is the best route to problem solving all paint issues, that are solvable. Quite a good deal too IMO.

Let us know if you buy it.
Old 02-18-04, 11:07 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Dan -

The Amazon.com seller of the Coleman polisher got several bad feedbacks recently....so I'm kinda of hesitant about buying from them....plus they asking for $20 shipping to 96813.

Is Midway Auto Supply a reputable site to buy from? Free shipping for anything about $50...UPS Ground....even for Hawaii according to their site shipping calculator.

Also considering Ebay Item number: 2379882709...not sure the brand name...but it looks and sounds like a good unit.

Please let me know if there's another site/shop that sells reasonably priced polishers I should consider?

Also, where's the best site to buy these 3M products?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 02-18-04 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 12:04 PM
Guitarman

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Midway, I just pulled them up from a Google link on that buffer.

These folks have a good rep in with the Autopia.com members; http://www.properautocare.com/bufpol.html AND; http://www.premiumautocare.com/hisprobu.html

But neither seem to sell that buffer. The Makita 9227C (what I use) the Porter Cable 7428 and the DeWalt are the top names and quality machines, but at considerably more $$$.

Best thing I can tell you is punch the Coleman tool into Google and do some research on who may be best to order from. I agree-the lowest price isn't always the best route to go, you need to find a place that may sell the Coleman for a few bucks more but have good feedback and customer support.

As for that ebay item # 2379882709, that *looks* like a knockoff of the Coleman rotary, and might even be made by the same people. It has the vari -speed and locking trigger, a velcro backing plate and it should be a decent choice if it's built well. Price is low, but for weekend use it may be worth the gamble and be a solid unit. Tough decision, but I'd probably take the chance if I was in your shoes and didn't want to go full out on a $200 machine. A $50 machine should be fine for occasional use.

As for the 3M stuff; You can order online at ; http://www.premiumautocare.com/3m.html among many other online stores.

Or, just find your local automotive paint supplier, they will usually carry 3M stuff. That's where I get mine (Ben's Paints in Daytona Beach) and the prices are basically the same. Let us know what you decide on, best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-18-04 at 12:06 PM.