Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 12:44 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Problems?

When my leather gets wet, it becomes very sticky and the dye seems to rub off. The same happens when i use a cleaner. I thought it was just dirty so i rubbed it some more and it got even more sticky and the dye came off more. At the end i ended up with a nasty green steering wheel =(. Is there something i'm doing wrong with cleaning the leather?

Last edited by mrshabo; 02-11-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 06:51 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The leather wrapped steering wheels ( and seats) have a clear vinyl coating sprayed over the dye, to help prevent this from happening. It's a barrier against sweat and wear and if it is removed then the scenario you've had can happen.
Did you buy your car new ? What cleaners have you used on the steering wheel?

Not sure I can give a definitive answer, but the more info you can provide will sure help.
Old 02-11-04, 08:59 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the car used. It was Zaino leather cleaner that i applied onto the steering wheel. I put some of that on my dash too and you can see it has a hint of green now.
Old 02-11-04, 10:16 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is just a guess, but whomever owned it previously could have used something harsh (a solvent likely) on the steering wheel leather that stripped of the clear coating, leaving the dyed leather without protection, and any sweat and the corrosive salts in perspiration would take the colored dye out. I have seen it happen in customers' cars on occasion. Even on seats.
There's nothing you can do at this point except respray a vinyl/leather dye. You have a few choices based on how ambitious you are;

1) Buy a shaker can of vinyl dye at an auto parts store. The colors they carry will only be the basic white, tan, black and gray usually, and may or may not match colsely. The problem here is, without a clear coat over it, it will also likely come off eventually as the sweat on your hands will break it down and remove the dye. That stuff works ok for touch ups where perspiration doesn't have much effect, but not as well on wear spots or where skin contact occurs.

2) Go to an automotive paint supplier and have them match the color of the leather (They may have color charts and codes for OEM leathers- mine here does) and mix some SEM or DuPont brand vinyl leather dye. A pint will more than do the wheel 5x over. You can also order the clear to spray over it. You will need either a small artists airbrush with a compressed air cannister, or a spraygun and compressor. This method, if preped right and done well, will look very close to stock and be durable. I have sprayed entire leather interiors with both SEM brand dyes and DuPont, and they work.

3) Get an upholstery shop to fit a new cover on it. ( looks decent-close to oem) Or add one yourself. (looks added on).

4) Buy a new steering wheel from Lexus. $$$$ ouch! ( or have wood added to yours).

Best of luck Anthony.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-11-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 11:07 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I went cheap and got the steering wheel cover... Waiting for a good deal on a trd steering wheel. So many things to fix, so little money lol.