Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

did a claybar treatment, my thoughts......

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 09:09 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question did a claybar treatment, my thoughts......

did the california gold clay bar treatment yesterday on my front bumper and hood of my 99gs. What was suppose to come off? on a few parts i got this very thin looking coat of black, nothing even noticable really. Curious if the clay bar is for cars that are more mistreated than others? I mean i will finish the car the next time its nice, but i mean do you guys get much off of your car, or is my car to clean ?
Old 03-01-04, 09:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you feel the paint on your car before claying? Usually after prolonged build up, the paint is a bit bumpy. After claying, though, the paint should be smooth (or at least smoother) again. You don't always see as much come off compared to how the result feels.
Old 03-02-04, 12:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clay pulls out things you can't even see, called "bonded contaminants". Basically, anything that falls on the car the washing can't remove because they're bonded onto the paint. Things such as sap, bug residue, rail dust, brake dust, industrial fallout etc.

Neo is right, you should notice a nigh& day difference in slickness after claying.

As far as the residue you're seeing after claying, I really have no clue. If the clay bar was black I'd say you smeared some clay, but since that's not the case, I can't even guess.

Try cleaning it off with a swirl remover or fine polish.