Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Difference between 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound and 3M Swirl Remover???!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 09:52 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice for my post above Guitarman???
Old 06-29-04, 09:59 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sorry Michifan12, don't know how I missed ya...

Hey you guys forgot about me!! haha!!!"

Ok so I never got around to Zaino-ing but I'm going to now....However I have a few more questions:

1. Should I use 3M Swirl Remover AND Z-5? Or is Z-5 essentially the same thing and all I need to do for light scratches and swirls?

2. I have a pretty big and somewhat deep scratch - is it ok to use 3M Rubbing Compund on it before applying Z-5 and Z-2? Thanks.

3. I have an 02 Absolutely Red IS300 - My car has a clearcoat right?

I remember there was some debate on whether or not the Black Onyx and Absolutely Red's had the clearcoat....
1),Zaino Z5 isn't quite as capable as a dedicated swirl remover because, although it has some fillers, it has no abrasives to level swirls. If you have very minor swirls, the Z5 is good to hide them. If they are not minor then you're better off addressing them with a polish or swirl remover first.

2) You can use a rubbing compound yes, but you will have to use a swirl remover or light cut polish to clarify the paint afterwared, because anything coarse enough to remove a scratch will leave haze (dulling- especially on dark colors) and swirls in itself. The polishes are needed to clear things back up.

3) I honestly don't know, although I'd bet it's cleared . It's easy to find out though. Just take a white cotton rag or cloth, and rub any cleaner wax or light polish on it a bit. If you see red on the rag, it's single stage. If it just shows some dirt, it's clearcoated.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-29-04 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 12:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post 3M Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound

Just wanted to note that this past weekend I decided to clean up my white '88 Supra, which is what I'm driving when not in the GS4. The car has been garaged for about half its life, and the other half has been outside. I babied it until the mid '90s, until I got another car to drive. It hadn't been waxed for about 3-4 years. Well, I knew it needed something a bit more radical, so I used the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound with an orbital buffer. I was worried that I wasn't going to have any paint left afterwards, but it came out unbelievable!!! The paint looks better and feels better than it did 10 years ago, nice and smooth, glossy, no swirl marks. I don't think it took too much off, but just the right amount. Didn't feel like using Zaino over it, so I used Liquid Glass. Apparently the 3M compound is not too abrasive, unlike a regular rubbing compound. Awesome product for paint that's showing some age.