Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I'm goin' for the ArmorGlove!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04 | 06:17 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up I'm goin' for the ArmorGlove!

After doing a lot of research on the "clear bra" topic, I have decided to go with ArmorGlove on the entire front end including lights. I'm getting it professionally installed by a local shop that does a lot of dealerships and high end cars etc.
The paint on my car is still virtually perfect and I want to keep it as nice as possible. Also, getting a full detail inside and out with Crystal Guard applied at the same time.
Anybody have experience with ArmorGlove or other similar products? Thanks, I'll post some pics in about a week or so when it's done.
Old 03-15-04 | 06:34 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

How much is it going to cost you.Do you have a web address?
Old 03-16-04 | 01:27 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Well, it ain't cheap!

But it seems like the quality of both product and workmanship is top notch and it does include a full paint prep for the Crystal Guard and interior detail. Should run around $900 or so out the door.
Here's the link to the shop I'm having the work done at-the links to the individual products are on their home page.
http://www.finaltouch-usa.com/
Old 03-16-04 | 01:47 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: I'm goin' for the ArmorGlove!

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Anybody have experience with ArmorGlove or other similar products?
I have X-Pel on the front end and love it. Less worries about the paint and easier maintenance.
Old 03-16-04 | 01:51 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, my days of messin' with the vinyl bras is over (what a hassle). Plus the look is a lot nicer too IMO.
How high up the hood does your X-Pel cover and do you wish you had done more? Any other advice based on your experiences is welcome...
Old 03-16-04 | 02:10 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by FutureGS400
How high up the hood does your X-Pel cover and do you wish you had done more? Any other advice based on your experiences is welcome...
It only goes up about a foot and a half from where the grille is. I thought I would want more but I find most driving splatter (bugs and some dirt) in that area. Stuff I find higher up tend to be from droppings from trees or birds. The film does change the characteristics of the paint a little, so in retrospect, I don't really need more.

Maintenance is great. It takes all washing and treatment (wax or polymer like Zaino) just like paint. If you know it is there, you will see a line if you are up close. If you don't know it is there, you won't know unless you really look. Most of my friends never noticed until I pointed it out.

Unless I have a show car that needs to be visually optimal and don't want anything to detract from the paint depth, I don't think I would get another daily car without X-Pel (or like products).
Old 03-16-04 | 02:27 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

What are you folks paying to have the Xpel / Armorglove installed on the front bumper alone. I am not going to do the hood (the line would drive me crazy). the best price I have got so far was something like 225 for the bumper and 90 for the headlights installed. I do not trust myself to install this btw!
Old 03-17-04 | 04:45 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what it would cost to do just the front bumper and lights. At least with ArmorGlove, you can buy the different pieces and do just as much as you want, but your prices sound about right to me for X-pel. Most companies use 3M film; ArmorGlove uses their own proprietary film. I've heard good things about several of the brands though. Here is the link to ArmorGlove:
http://www.armorglove.com/
If you go to the products tab, you can see what is available for the GS and the prices etc.
Old 03-17-04 | 06:19 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

why would you install that on your headlights? I really dont see the point in that
Old 03-17-04 | 08:17 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
why would you install that on your headlights? I really dont see the point in that
The film is much more resistant to road debris. Without it, your headlight will get pits in them as time goes by. It also protects the housing from harder impacts, reducing chances of the housing shattering. A side-effect was that even for the older pitted lights, the film fills out these pits and the headlight looks like new. I did not believe this last one until I saw it on an older car.

Another benefit is cost. It costs $50 - $60 for the film. You can pay for install or if you are DIY inclined, save the install cost. If after a few years the film looks bad from road debris, you can take it off and put in new ones for the same cost again. Replacing a whole housing is more expensive and takes more time since for some cars like the GS, the bumper has to come off. I've had my Xpel on the headlights for over a year and there is almost no wear and tear. I am sure that the housings would not fare as well.
Old 03-18-04 | 07:10 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Very true!

Glass gets pits and scratches pretty easy from road debris. Over time it really starts to show...
I was even thinking how it would work on windshields. On my last car ('98 Accord) the windshield looked terrible when the sun hit it at a certain angle and you could see all the pits from freeway driving in traffic. Unbelievable how much crap other cars and trucks kick up! Also, with the lights-it is a pretty easy do it yourself, but with the body I will leave it to the pros.
I'll be posting pics in about a week or so...
Old 03-24-04 | 04:25 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Default clear armor...

clear armor is another option...they deal with quite a few high-end dealerships here in NorCal. i'm trying to work a deal for my car. my step bro-in-law heads a shop in the bay area that does installs. stuff ain't cheap though.
jd
Old 04-01-04 | 07:57 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up It's done!

Wanted to post a few pics but haven't had time this week. I will in the next few days for sure.
It came out VERY nice- great job on the detail inside and out and the ArmorGlove looks great! It is nearly invisible which is difficult on a white car. It is even more invisible on darker cars, but I don't really care that much if it isn't completely invisible because the protection it will provide is well worth it!
I only wish I had put it on sooner, I already have one or two really small chips on the front Oh well, NO MORE!
The Crystal Guard is quite impressive too-awesome lustre and smooooth as glass! Only problem is now it is almost impossible for me to put on my car cover by myself-the car is so slippery it just slides off onto the ground when I'm trying to put it on...