Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Surface scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 07:05 AM
SC30097
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface scratches

Hi fellas, im kinda new to this board. I got a black/black lexus sc300 (97) and have a few surface scratches (especially on the hood). Could someone give me a detailed description of how to tell if they are surface scratches, and how to remove them. Thanks
Old 03-16-04, 08:14 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome SC30097!

The black paint on your car should be single stage paint (if it's original oem) so keep in mind you don't have any clearcoat. The below applies to either single stage or clear though, so not to worry.

If you can take your fingernail to the scratches and NOT feel them easily, chances are you can remove them by either compounding then polishing, or by polishing alone. The difference between compounding and polishing is merely the grit of the abrasives. You shoud start with less abrasive grit rather than more, -you can always work up to larger grit compounds. If your fingernail "catches" on any of the scratches, they're likely too deep to fully remove. The below regimen might make them look less visible though.

There are many products out there that will help you achieve your goal to remove them, it's up to you what you use, and what you can spend. Look into a polishes such as Meguiar's Scratch X, KIT Scratch-Out, Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish, 3M Finesse-It II finishing Material, and on and on.

Those are of a 'medium' grit and should make a difference. If you must go for more bite, look at 3M Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound. If you do use a rubbing compound, you'll have to follow it with one of the polishing compounds listed above, otherwise you may have some hazing/dullness( especially on black or dark colors) from using the rubbing compound (this is normal). You can even finish off your paint with a fine swirl remover for best results.

If you are doing the work by hand, be ready for sore arms; it takes a lot of effort to remove scratches by hand, with any product. You will have to work the product(s) a few times to see a result. This is why pros use a rotary buffer-it speeds it up , applies more even pressure and helps soften the paint due to heat & friction. Be patient, work on 1 panel or a 2ft x 2 ft area at a time, until you see results, then move on.

Welcome again to the forum. Let us know if you need further help.
Old 03-16-04, 08:17 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can feel any depth of the scratches with your fingernail, they will most likely have to be touched up by paint. I recommend the paint pen route for better control and less mess, such as the Autovisuals paint pen. If there is no depth in the scratches and they just appear like white or gray lines on the surface, you can apply a scratch remover applicant like Meguiar's Scratch-X. This can be found at any Wal-Mart or auto parts store. Good luck

BTW, welcome to CL. I just noticed your profile says you're from CT. Whereabouts are you? I live in Danbury (in Fairfield County).
Old 03-16-04, 08:37 AM
SC30097
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guitarman

Wow, exactly what i was looking for, thank you i really appreciate it. I have meguire's scratch x and will probably go with that. Can i use an cotton rag or old t shirt?

Last edited by SC30097; 03-16-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-16-04, 09:33 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: guitarman

Originally posted by SC30097
Wow, exactly what i was looking for, thank you i really appreciate it. I have meguire's scratch x and will probably go with that. Can i use an cotton rag or old t shirt?
If I were you, I'd use something that has is 100% certified USA cotton, anything that is not (i.e. foreign cotton) will likely have some impurities in it from substandard processing and cause even more scratches. An old T-shirt is OK, but again, make sure it's 100% USA cotton (ABSOLUTELY do NOT use anything that is not 100% cotton (like polyester mixes) or you're guaranteed a scratched up car).

FYI, if what you're referring to as "scratches" isn't that deep and more like microscratches or swirl marks, I have successfully used Meguair's #9 (fine cut cleaner and polish) followed by an application of Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Wax (a very durable wax) to renew the car's finish. This polish and wax sequence works really good for my black '99 GS400. Something to note, is that the Meguiar's Scratch-X might be better for you, if you've got deeper scratches as it's a stronger product than the Meguiar's #9. For pics of the before/after results of a simple application of #9, check it out here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=113391

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-16-04 at 09:37 AM.