Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather cleaning and carpet cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 11:34 AM
sosa_seven
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question leather cleaning and carpet cleaning

wisocnisn winters are killer on my cars. I bought my 1999 gs in January and it is about time to detail the interior!!.. I have tan leather seats which are becoming more and more dingy with each passing day. What products and or methods would you suggest to clean and condition my poor seats.

Also I put down rubber floor mats for the winter however a small peice of the orinigal carpet was exposed and now it is dark black ( no kidding!) any ideas on products or methods to extract all that dirt and grime out of the carpet..

Thanks for any input you may have.

Peace,
Sosa
Old 03-25-04, 11:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Sosa,

I don't have time right now to put up a bunch of links for you, but if you use the search tool you'll find both the leather cleaning topic and carpet cleaning have been discussed quite a bit (especailly leather ad nauseum).

Please try the search feature, it will only take you a few seconds and you'll have the answer right away without somebody having to re-type it up for you
Old 03-25-04, 11:59 AM
sosa_seven
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

will do .. I have another 4 hours to kill here at work untill I can go home!..

Thanks Dave

PEACE,
sosa
Old 03-25-04, 01:32 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the "normal" means of carpet cleaning don't work on the black rubber marks (foaming cleaner i.e. Resolve etc. and brush) and you don't have an extractor/shampooer, then you can try this;

Find some (chlorinated) brake parts cleaner. Test it in a small corner of the mat or on the interior carpet , somewhere out of the way & inconspicuous. If it doesn't lift the fibers or remove color, try it on the black marks. Brake cleaners (the chlorinated type) contain perchloroethylene, which is the solvent used in dry cleaning. It's a toxic substance, so wear gloves and use sparingly.

I wouldn't generally recommend it because of it's toxicity and the fact it can loosen some of the adhesives/glues in carpet and certain fabric dyes that aren't colorfast. Not always mind you, just have to be mindful of it. It does clean remarkably well.

Outside of those DIY ideas, you could take it to a pro with a steam extractor, or rent one yourself.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-25-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-25-04, 08:30 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your local Lexus dealer and they have Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner. That works really good.
Old 03-25-04, 09:11 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A great leather condotioner..

Try some ZAINO BROS. leather in a bottle.It makes your leather ultra soft and it smells great.Check it out-
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Last edited by johnee78; 03-25-04 at 09:12 PM.