Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

need help with product suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 11:09 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with product suggestions

about to wash and wax, any one that can recomend a good wax? or washing products in general? also about the leather cleaner, any suggestions. i plan to get the products at the local auto store. im going to give that mr clean auto dry a try also. thanx in advance. i dont wash the lex as often as i should, i have noticed fine scrathes in the paint job? its a 2000, any wax good for that? or doi i need to just buff it out? please help thanx...
Old 03-26-04, 07:38 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to general questions such as this, you might want to try the "search" function. There are so many references to waxes and sealants you're bound to find some good info.

That said, you'll have to use an abrasive to remove the scratches and swirls. Every brand has polishes that will do that, look into 3M, Meguiars, Mothers Menzerna etc. A cleaner wax won't do much for you really.

I use 3M stuff with a rotary buffer, specifically their Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze , in that order, to remove scratches. If it's just swirls, the Machine Glaze is a good choice for just leveling out swirls. I don't generally recommend a 'swirl remover' polish because they are too fine in abrasive quality to level paint fast enough, and they usually have fillers that help hide swirls. - Not so great if you need to get rid of them, good if you just want to hide 'em.

By hand though, you might want to look into Meguiar's Scratch X or KIT Scratch Out, both redily available on a local level, and much less expensive then the 3M. Good luck.
Old 03-28-04, 09:52 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ok

well i tryed the mr clean auto wash. and i had some trouble with the water leaking out. not from were the hose connects to the plastic, but from where the plastice connects to the sprayer, in other words, i think i got a bad one. it worked ok, just had to tape it up, and i kept my reciept so im going to exchange it and give it a second chance. havent got any wax yet. forget i said anything about the fine scratches, i just need to know a few good waxes for the lexus paint job. post any suggestions, plan to wax it soon. i have some mothers but it may be old? thanx everyone/.
Old 03-29-04, 07:49 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get a replacement for the Mr Clean product, there's clearly a problem with the one you bought.

Try doing a search on "leather " and all kinds of cleaners and conditioners will come up, along with the varying opinions. Some of the more popular leather cleaners are ; Woolite & water mix, Murphy's Oil Soap, Lexol, Leatherique etc.

On leather conditioners you'll see Zaino, Leatherique, Griot's, Pinnacle etc.

I have used Zaino and Leatherique , and think highly of both, but getting more opinions is always good, and doing the search on those items should provide you with plenty of reading material.
Old 04-11-04, 02:25 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default still got fine scratches

ok got some lexol leather cleaner. used mothers wax. did it by hand, looks nice. but i still have some fine scrathes, this is on grey paint. does this mean i need to buff? any wax that helps this specifically? please help. thanx for all the info!!!