Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

too much Zaino.....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 02:55 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default too much Zaino.....?

I know there's several topics on Zaino from CL forums and autopia.org, which I've looked carefully and decided that Zaino was the way to go for my Millenium Silver SC430.

I apologize if my questions have been asked before by someone else, but since there's so many CL members here, I need to find out from other silver colored CL folks see a difference w/ multiple coats of Zaino.

Last edited by martini3; 03-04-08 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-31-04, 10:42 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

teeman, I will chime in on the layering question...

There does seem to be a point of diminishing returns, but I cannot say upon which layer it happens.....8th...15th...35th....mainly because it's likely different on every car and paint color, and every make has paint made by different manufacturers, and may respond slightly different than the next. I can tell you that I had over 100 layers on my black car last year , before I had to break out my buffer and remove some scratches here and there, and when I reapplied Zaino and had..oh...3 new layers, it looked *pretty much* the same as the parts of the car that had ~100 layers still on it. In other words-no night & day difference that screams at you, at least on MY car. I even topped mine with Pinnacle Souveran a couple times and didn't see a difference. Most of that can be attributed to the polishing phase; when you're successful at getting paint to it's optimum clarity/reflection before you apply wax or sealant, it's hard to apply ANYTHING and go "OH wow". Heck, I've seen pics of cars at Autopia that had unreal reflectivity that had NO wax or sealant on them, so it follows.

You can ask yourself too; was your 11th coat more convincing to you than your 9th?

That said, I think by reappling a new coat fairly frequently does give a slight boost in shine, imagined or not, as well as a nice slick feeling back to the paint, so I personally do it because of that..And because...it's kind of a Zen quest I do ...a leap of faith that it will happen...and even if it doesn't someday turn into a thoroughly blinding mirror, I had fun trying.

This pic was taken when I was in the ~30 some layer zone. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-31-04 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 10:18 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much of giving me your input and shedding some of the doubts that I had about Zaino by putting too many coats. I agree w/ you about being successful at getting the most optimzation "effect" that I want to my finish and the rest is pure enjoyment and personal gratification.

thanks...teeman3

Last edited by martini3; 03-04-08 at 09:07 PM.