Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Purchased a Orbital Buffer today. Any tips/tricks for best results?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 06:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased a Orbital Buffer today. Any tips/tricks for best results?

Hey guys, I took a trip to MoneyPitMart (oops I meant Walmart) and while cruising the aislles, I ran across a orbital buffer on sale for 20 bucks!! I could not pass that up so I purchased it. I am well aware that this buffer is in no way similar to a professional buffer in that it uses a orbital motion, as opposed to a fixed pad.

Attached is a pic of the parts that came with the buffer. What is the best way to use this product? And for what process? Is it best to apply by hand, then buff off? Or apply/remove with buffer? What types of wax/polish should I use with this thing? My current arsenal includes:

Meguiairs Liquid Wax- yellow
Meguiairs Liquid Polish
Meguiairs Scratch X
Meguiairs Liquid Glaze
Meguiairs Gold Class paste wax
Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (white paste)

Is there a type of wax/polish, that is better suited to the orbital, or am I set with what I have?

Also any other tips/ tricks/ warnings would be appreciated!

here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Purchased a Orbital Buffer today. Any tips/tricks for best results?-buffer-pic.jpg  
Old 03-31-04, 07:56 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you had the new paint on the car?

Make sure it's ready to wax, I wouldn't want to see that beauty damaged

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115267
Old 03-31-04, 08:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I only painted the aftermarket stuff and my front bumper. I'm actually taking the car in for a professional buff, after some detail adjustments and wetsanding of the freshly painted pieces. I just want to know how to use the orbital jumpoff!! LOL
Old 03-31-04, 10:18 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's really nothing to it-not nearly as stress inducing as a rotary...

Main thing is to use light , even pressure- if the pad stops spinning you're pressing too hard . Move it about 1 ft every second or 2, and keep the cord over your shoulder so it doesn't scratch the paint as you lean.

The products you have are fine, but typically one would use the Yellow wax after polishing prior with the polishing compound, because the Gold Class wax has cleaners in it, you might not need to use the polishing compound THEN the GOLD class ( since both polish to some degree), but that will depend on what condition your paint is in now.

If you have some oxidation and dulling, then use the polishing compound ( if it's liquid of course), then the glaze, then the yellow wax. If your paint is pretty clear, then just use the Gold Class. The cleaners in it will bring up your clarity a bit.

If you use the glaze before you apply the Gold Class, you'll likely remove some/most of the glaze via the cleaners and solvents in the Gold Class, making your application of the glaze a bit of a waste of time. The glaze will work in tandem with the yellow wax better.

Make sense? Have fun.
Old 04-01-04, 05:52 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $20 bucks,, thats a deal.

I may just go to walmart and pick up one just for the hell of it.As far as using it, pretty much what guitarman said.It's really easy to use and I know you won't have any problems with it. Have fun!!
Old 04-01-04, 08:39 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

If you guys don't know how to use it, you could damage your paint. Honestly, the Porter Cable random orbial is better, cause using a orbital could give you swirl marks and maybe even burn in, so just be careful if you want to try it out, first try it out on another car you don't really care about.
Old 04-01-04, 09:38 AM
Guitarman

Gsnav, I think you mean a rotary can cause damage...because outside of dropping an orbital on the paint you can't do damage with it -it doesn't spin on one focused spot like a rotary does, it produces little heat...so burning the paint is near impossible, unless you went out of your way to really, really, really try. I've never really read of anyone damaging paint with an orbital. I sure have read horror stories about rotaries and the inexperienced though.

I think you just got the terms mixed up.
Old 04-01-04, 11:11 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was visiting home back in Idaho last week, I used my brother's random orbital for the first time (it was a Sears brand model for about $40; easy to use, but was a little on the bulky side). Up until last week, I did everything by hand (clean, polish, and wax), and I must say that I wish I found about the random orbitals sooner!

I always thought that the machine applications were prone to swirling, and I always had visions of swirled cars driving by, but that was probably when rotary buffers were in high use. Nonehteless, if you've never used a random orbital buffer on the car, you're missing out on faster, better application and effectiveness of any car paint polish/wax product. I used Meguiar's #9, followed by #26, and the results were definitely better (and done in about 1/3 less time) than doing it by hand! More swirl marks also disappeared using the random orbital buffer vs. doing it by hand. Lastly, as Guitarman mentioned, you really can not damage your paint using this type of ROB machine unless you really, really, really tried to.

From my end, I think I'll fork out a for a nice Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer. While it's a bit pricey (about $119 for a kit from www.coastaltool.com, add extra for more pads/accessores), it's the gold standard of all random orbital buffers. However, the other brands of random orbital buffers would probably do a pretty good job as well on your car. In any event, I think any random orbital buffer would greatly improve on the speed and effectiveness of any paint product you use on your car--cleaner, polish, or wax. What brand of ROB you choose is up to you.

Here's some reading on what the Porter Cable (and in general, random orbital buffers) can do and general information on how to use them:

Porter Cable 7424 ROB Information/Usage (General ROB usage/info as well)

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/7/po..._buffer.1.html (general background info)

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1 (usage and application guidelines--great info here)

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=14421 (accessories)

Probaby the Best Place to Order PC 7424

Coast Tool (www.coastaltool.com)

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...cd6+1080869836 ($119, special exclusive kit comes with a 6 oz. counter weight and a foam backing plate included)

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-01-04 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 10:03 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

D whats the name of the brand you bought? and what size is it ?
Old 04-05-04, 11:27 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by LEXISM
D whats the name of the brand you bought? and what size is it ?
its some generic brand called Motorist something or the other, hey its 20 bucks what can i say?? LOL
Old 04-12-04, 09:47 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

ok Im going to pick one of these up and say I dont have any of the stuff that D has so what should I pick up w/ the buffer for the best out come ? also I how should it be used do I aply Wax by hand wipe off and then buff or apply and buff off ? what are the best steps for use ?
Old 04-16-04, 09:31 PM
RedAE102
Driver School Candidate

My only advice: STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGES OF BODY PANELS!!! My father did this to my Corolla back when it belonged to my aunt, and now my car looks okay for only having been waxed about once every two years in the first 10 years of its life, but is quite dull around the edges.
Old 04-21-04, 10:41 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

some one awnser my question please
Old 04-21-04, 01:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wish i could help man, I have been too busy polishing/waxing my car by hand!!! LOL The weather has been nice, so I dont mind!
Old 04-21-04, 01:34 PM
Guitarman

ok Im going to pick one of these up and say I dont have any of the stuff that D has so what should I pick up w/ the buffer for the best out come ? also I how should it be used do I aply Wax by hand wipe off and then buff or apply and buff off ? what are the best steps for use ?
D, buy a cutting pad, a polishing pad (or 2) and a finishing pad.

You want to apply liquid wax and polish with the Porter Cable, you should remove the residues by hand with microfiber towels or quality cotton terry towels. Wipe in linear directions ( front to back) and not in circles. Good luck .

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-21-04 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Purchased a Orbital Buffer today. Any tips/tricks for best results?