Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 05:35 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Get the 303 aero from amazon that's what I did. All Lexus leather is plastic coated so you treat it like vinyl. If you have the Nuluxe it's vinyl so you treat it like vinyl, same with my LX plastic coated leather treat like vinyl.
nuluxe isnt in RX correct?
Old 04-17-14, 06:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
nuluxe isnt in RX correct?
If it has Lexus leather it is coated leather so plasti coated nothing penetrates so use 303 to protect.
Old 04-27-14, 08:49 AM
sxpear2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Saddle Soap for me

For cleaning and a very nice non gloss look and feel I use good old fashioned Saddle Soap. You can only find in the grocery store or Ace HW in the shoe polish section. I've got a shelf full of many different leather this and conditioner that. All have varying degrees attributes. But I always go back to the saddle soap which does the best job of cleaning back to original look and feel.

I have a Tahoe with bone colored leather and the only thing I've found that got it back to brite and supple was the saddle soap. It's old school but it works. It's a matter of how you use it to get the best results. I take the rough side of a micro fiber towel, dab it in a bowl of water, rub it in the saddle soap and begin cleaning. Don't be afraid to get the seat somewhat wet and sudsy. (Of course small sections at a time) Wipe/ scrub until you see that it's cleaning. Then take a dry towel and buff dry, this is where you get the desired results. After a while I just use the bowl of the soapy water to rinse the cleaning cloth as I go. You can use a soft brush to help penetrate the age glaze or embedded dirt. But the MF towel seems to really work we'll.

Once cleaned,and if you desire, you can use some of that high end conditioner that you have on hand. But I've found that I like it just the way it is. I personally do not like the shine look.

And it smells good to boot!
Old 05-07-14, 09:21 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would be the best leather care and clean products for 2014 IS F sport?
Old 05-07-14, 01:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
IME, Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection cream rise to the top. In fact, LM Protection cream is one of the few products available that will prevent dye transfer from jeans or belts.

I dilute LM Strong Leather cleaner 50/50 with tepid water for all but really neglected leather. After cleaning I wipe down the leather with a wrung out cotton towel to remove all traces of the cleaner and let it dry before applying the Protection Cream polymer. For weekly maintenance, I wipe down the leather with a cotton towel sprayed with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. These products leave no additional gloss or slippery feel and the QID does impart added UV protection. The QID can be used on both leather and vinyl as well as on the NAV display.

These products are easy to use and the process is pretty quick.
Old 05-07-14, 02:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
The F Sports have NuLuxe, not leather, so they require very little maintenance.

For my NuLuxe, I simply wipe it down with a wet microfiber cloth. It needs no conditioning.
Old 05-14-14, 12:02 PM
doobay
Driver School Candidate

Okay how often do you guy/gals treat your leather seats?
Old 05-14-14, 12:09 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by doobay
Okay how often do you guy/gals treat your leather seats?
Deep cleaning every 3 months. Maintenance cleaning, every week or two.

Deep cleaning = LeatherMasters Strong Leather Cleaner followed by Leather Masters Protection Cream.

Maintenance = vacuum and wipe down with a MF dampened with with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.
Old 05-17-14, 11:00 PM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

glad i ran into this page because i want to detail my interior in my 06 gs 430 i got last week. its has beige color interior and the previous owner maintain the interior. im thinking about steam cleaning the floor mats for starters until i figure out what is right for my leather. the car right now is parked outside my garage until i can get my turbo integra up and running. i want to ensure i have protection from the uv rays on the paint and the interior.
Old 05-29-14, 09:47 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about Optimum Power Clean 1:3 ratio with water for cleaning and Optimum Protectant for conditioning?
Old 06-13-14, 12:01 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 98 GS400 thats been garaged or parked in the shade most of its life. The leather has lasted up until now, but it is starting to get those cracks and is also fading/getting wornd in the middle of the seat. What steps should I take to get it close to being new again? Any products that are recommended besides Lexol? I regret not taking better care of the leather

Last edited by LexusK; 06-13-14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-13-14, 05:42 AM
jfelbab

I'd like to see some photos of the cracks and wear areas. Some times people confuse creases and actual cracks. If there is any question, use a loupe to inspect them to be sure that they are cracks. How long do you plan to keep this vehicle?

My advice would be:
1. If you want to keep this vehicle for another 5+ years take it to a restoration shop for an estimate to repair the cracks and refinish the surface.

2. If you just wish to make it look better and last as long as possible without spending the money on a restoration, then I recommend a gentle cleaning with Leather Masters Soft Leather Cleaner followed by a coating of Leather Masters Protection Cream. The latter is a coating for leather that is water based and won't cause the bond to the topcoat to separate from the leather under it. I wouldn't use any oily conditioners as they will seep through the cracks and cause the topcoat bond to the surrounding leather to deteriorate faster.

To minimize further wear, keep the seats clean and protected. Vacuum and wipe down the leather weekly to remove any dust and abrasive dirt.

Finally you might ask a salvage yard to look for a replacement skin in good condition.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-13-14 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-13-14, 08:09 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted 2 pics. Are you unable to see them? I can't see them on my phone but I can from my laptop.
Old 06-15-14, 03:09 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by LexusK
I posted 2 pics. Are you unable to see them? I can't see them on my phone but I can from my laptop.
I can only see two small blue boxes with question marks in them. No photos.
Old 06-29-14, 09:04 PM
2thDr4Kids
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down This can't be right...

What do you think happened here? A few months ago I bought a CPO IS250 from Lexus, and every month a new area is starting to peel or crack.
Advice?
Attached Thumbnails All about Lexus leather-leather-week2.jpg   All about Lexus leather-leather-week-3.jpg   All about Lexus leather-leather-week-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather