Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Sorry. I thought the 430 had an option for semi aniline leather.
As UDel said, the semi-aniline leather is still a coated leather.
Old 01-29-19, 10:17 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
I had it in the 2001 GS. Did not hold up well on the drivers side. Of course, I kept it 18 years and put 195,000 miles on it. That might explain some of the wear and tear...
Semi aniline in a 2001 GS? I don't recall any 2nd Gen GS versions having semi aniline. The leather in my 2nd Gen GS430 was very disappointing, very hard and waxy up front, I tried numerous products and methods to soften it, nothing really worked, just a very small difference at most.
Old 01-29-19, 04:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No Lexus models prior to the 2001 LS had any options for leather grades. The 2001 GS had one leather grade, and it was not semi-aniline.
Old 02-06-19, 10:30 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Saving this for later, definitely some good info in here.
Old 02-07-19, 04:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No Lexus models prior to the 2001 LS had any options for leather grades. The 2001 GS had one leather grade, and it was not semi-aniline.
I would call the "COACH Edition Leather Trim Seats" of the 1997 Coach Series and the "Specially Textured Leather Trim" of the 2000 Platinum Series "options for leather grades". I sure thought that the "lizard grain" (my term) leather in the 2000 LS400 Platinum Series I drove for 11 years was a cut above the less expensive standard leather.

I certainly agree that it is folly to attempt to soften automotive leather. That causes the leather fibers to break down. Gently cleaning the leather surface is all it takes.
Old 02-09-19, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kansas
I would call the "COACH Edition Leather Trim Seats" of the 1997 Coach Series and the "Specially Textured Leather Trim" of the 2000 Platinum Series "options for leather grades". I sure thought that the "lizard grain" (my term) leather in the 2000 LS400 Platinum Series I drove for 11 years was a cut above the less expensive standard leather.

I certainly agree that it is folly to attempt to soften automotive leather. That causes the leather fibers to break down. Gently cleaning the leather surface is all it takes.
Those are special edition one year models though. My point was the typical car did not have options for different leather grades the way the LS430, LS460 and LS500 did/do. They had one leather and that was it.
Old 07-31-19, 07:38 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It wouldn't hurt if someone updated the first post with some consolidated information in order not to read 487 posts in this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by scrmnws6:
joedaddy1 (07-06-23), LeXXXus570 (10-02-19)
Old 08-01-19, 09:40 PM
bill5
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you volunteer then?
The following 2 users liked this post by bill5:
Kasim (09-09-19), LeXXXus570 (10-02-19)
Old 09-03-19, 09:09 AM
Tatoosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi folks, the wife just picked up a 2010 RX350 and it is in pretty good shape. There is a bit of checkering on the leather seats, but they are in pretty good condition given the age. I plan to clean the interior with Car Guys Super Cleaner, and then give it a bit of 303 Aero Protectant for the dash and other interior bits except glass. I've been scrolling through the thread some (but not all) and see a lot of different recommendations for leather cleaners and restorers. Our interior is black, so that helps simplify matters some. The CG's Super Cleaner should work on the seats, according to their info, but to handle the cracks and make them less noticeable, is there a dye or polish with color enhancers that gives good results without a lot of steps or effort?

Lastly, the wife wants a "new car smell" to the Lexus, since it had that (even though used) from the dealers. Do any of you use the new car scents that are sold over on Amazon?
Old 09-13-19, 11:45 AM
jprlexusgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys.... looking for some help here...

I bought the lexol cleaner and conditioner. That said, I cleaned the seats and then applied the conditioner. After letting it sit for a few minutes as the bottle states, I tried removing the excess product but it seems that the seat had already absorbed the product. When I tried wiping off the product, the cloth was sticking and not necessarily gliding. The seats now feel sticky; to the point that if I put the palm of my hand, it sticks...

Tried giving it another pass of the cleaner but it is still sticky... What can I do? or what product/process can help remove the extra residue that is making it sticky.
Old 09-13-19, 04:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jprlexusgx
Hello guys.... looking for some help here...

I bought the lexol cleaner and conditioner. That said, I cleaned the seats and then applied the conditioner. After letting it sit for a few minutes as the bottle states, I tried removing the excess product but it seems that the seat had already absorbed the product. When I tried wiping off the product, the cloth was sticking and not necessarily gliding. The seats now feel sticky; to the point that if I put the palm of my hand, it sticks...

Tried giving it another pass of the cleaner but it is still sticky... What can I do? or what product/process can help remove the extra residue that is making it sticky.
The leather has a protective coating, conditioners are not really getting into the leather, what is most likely happening is the lexol is just drying on top of your leather(urethane coating) pretty quickly, especially in the heat and you are feeling the dried but sticky lexol sitting on your leather. I would wipe it down with a whoolite water mixture until it does not feel sticky.
Old 09-16-19, 06:49 AM
jprlexusgx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
The leather has a protective coating, conditioners are not really getting into the leather, what is most likely happening is the lexol is just drying on top of your leather(urethane coating) pretty quickly, especially in the heat and you are feeling the dried but sticky lexol sitting on your leather. I would wipe it down with a whoolite water mixture until it does not feel sticky.
Thank you.... so I shouldn't use any type of conditioner? What would be the best way to avoid the seat cracking and such? Just keep then clean with the whoolite method?
Old 09-16-19, 10:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jprlexusgx
Thank you.... so I shouldn't use any type of conditioner? What would be the best way to avoid the seat cracking and such? Just keep then clean with the whoolite method?
Keep your seats clean, make sure nothing abrasive like sand is coming into contact with your leather when you sit on it, make sure leather is not exposed to direct sunlight, that is probably the best thing you can do.

You are likely just wasting money putting conditioner on coated/protected auto leather. I tried pretty much all conditioners to try to soften my hard waxy seats in my GS430, made no difference, nothing worked, was told by just about everyone in that industry that the conditioners just aren't going to penetrate that coating to soften the leather. Some people like conditioners on coated auto leather for the smell and most don't have issues with a sticky residue, some like the look and feel after the conditioner was applied, some think some of the conditioner migrates into the leather from the stitching, I have my doubts if it does or how much really does. For heavily soiled leathers where they were not cleaned, Leatherique does have some good cleaning abilities to get the dirt out of the leather/coating and once that happens the leather generally does look better and can feel softer once the dirt and grime is removed. Leather Masters has a protection cream that is supposed to help with die transfer on lighter leathers, some people do apply that on lighter leathers to add some protection from dye transfer from darker blue jeans.

Unfortunately leather is going to wear, get creases, lines the more you sit on it, getting in and out, it is unavoidable. That is why drivers seats normally look much worse then the rear seats in most cars, no conditioner is going to stop that from happening, keeping it clean will help a little.
Old 09-16-19, 02:12 PM
jprlexusgx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
Keep your seats clean, make sure nothing abrasive like sand is coming into contact with your leather when you sit on it, make sure leather is not exposed to direct sunlight, that is probably the best thing you can do.

You are likely just wasting money putting conditioner on coated/protected auto leather. I tried pretty much all conditioners to try to soften my hard waxy seats in my GS430, made no difference, nothing worked, was told by just about everyone in that industry that the conditioners just aren't going to penetrate that coating to soften the leather. Some people like conditioners on coated auto leather for the smell and most don't have issues with a sticky residue, some like the look and feel after the conditioner was applied, some think some of the conditioner migrates into the leather from the stitching, I have my doubts if it does or how much really does. For heavily soiled leathers where they were not cleaned, Leatherique does have some good cleaning abilities to get the dirt out of the leather/coating and once that happens the leather generally does look better and can feel softer once the dirt and grime is removed. Leather Masters has a protection cream that is supposed to help with die transfer on lighter leathers, some people do apply that on lighter leathers to add some protection from dye transfer from darker blue jeans.

Unfortunately leather is going to wear, get creases, lines the more you sit on it, getting in and out, it is unavoidable. That is why drivers seats normally look much worse then the rear seats in most cars, no conditioner is going to stop that from happening, keeping it clean will help a little.
Thank you!!! I am new to leather seats and care so trying to get informed about care and such..... thanks again JP
Old 10-24-19, 12:50 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, after reading this entire post I would like to add my personal experience to date. I got a bunch of older Lexus. The leather in my 1998 LS400 is by far in the best shape as it appears to be different than the others.

I have always used Leatherique and have been mostly happy. It is expensive and a few times I have ended up with sticky seats (probably my error).

I decided to follow some of the suggestions here and cleaned my seats with Woolite at a 15% mix. 1:6 ratio. I then used the Strong cleaner from Leather Master right beside what I cleaned with the Woolite.
Trust me there is NO comparison. NONE. NADA. The Woolite dominated!

I'll let you know how the Cream works but ya'll got to try Woolite. Woolite is the below the seam and about 1 inch above it.

The following 2 users liked this post by gebo:
AlphaRed (10-15-20), corradoMR2 (05-28-21)

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather