Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stone Chips on hood - how to treat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 08:52 PM
DuneDain
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Question little problem!

I asked about this earlier and didn't get much of a response so I figured I would ask again. I have some stone chips on the hood of my es and there are a couple that have started to corrode just a little and it's really bothering me. Now should I take a finely graded piece of sand paper and ground it out, then cover with an autosharpe pen? Or should I take this to an auto body place and have it professionally taken care of? I have also had trouble locating the color code on my car and as far as I can see it isn't listed. I have a white 97 es300 it's white over the common grey color used on a lot of lexus'. Does anyone know the code that white could be, or is there more than one? Better yet where can I find out which code I have? Any and all help is appreciated. And yes I already searched for this topic through these forums but please answer my questions directly, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch in advance for the people who can help out.
Old 04-04-04, 09:09 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

051 diamond white pearl. i think its $14 at a lexus dealership.
Old 04-05-04, 12:27 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

A great guide on what to do is on Autopia
Old 04-05-04, 04:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by FLiP Sp33d
That color has been used on virtually every Lexus product for a number of years...though it was dropped on the IS300 a couple of years ago. You should be able to easily find it at any Lexus dealership....and possibly many non-Lexus or independent parts stores as well. That white oyster / pearl color has also been used on various Cadillacs, Infinitis, Audis, Kias, and Toyotas...and possibly others. It's all pretty much the same shade and texture...it has a somewhat low-gloss and pearly texture.
Old 04-05-04, 05:37 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by DuneDain
I asked about this earlier and didn't get much of a response so I figured I would ask again. I have some stone chips on the hood of my es and there are a couple that have started to corrode just a little and it's really bothering me. Now should I take a finely graded piece of sand paper and ground it out, then cover with an autosharpe pen? Or should I take this to an auto body place and have it professionally taken care of?
It is hard to tell the condition of these stone chips without posting a couple pics of them up. These stone chips can vary in size, depth, amount of damage, etc.

IMO the body shop is only worth it if you plan to have a body portion of your car repainted. You should be able to touch up the stone chips yourself with the proper materials and tools on hand. Grabbing a bottle of Lexus touch-up paint is a nice start, but the brushes that come with the touch-up paint leave behind unpleasant blobs on the affected areas. For a small sized chip, you'd want something with more control and precision, so I definitely prefer the Autovisuals paint pen. I have one for the Black Onyx color of my ES, and it works superb on my hood and A-pillar chips. Here's the thread I created a while ago with pics of my touch-up jobs.

Hope this info gets you off to a good start
Old 04-05-04, 06:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Tried to respond to this last night but had some problems with CL I guess. I'm moving your post to the Detailing forum where you'll get more specific help (and likely could find plenty of the same question already asked/answered if you use the search feature )

In your driver's doorjamb you should find a tag that has your VIN as well as other info including the paint code.

Old 04-05-04, 01:25 PM
DuneDain
Rookie

wow thanks for the generous reply. I'm going to bet one of those pens and I'll take some pictures before and fater just for you guys to see! Thanks again I appreciate the help.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-04, 01:28 PM
DuneDain
Rookie

lol yeah I did see a number like that on my label but I didn't know how to read it so yeah, but thankyou for pointing it out.
Old 04-06-04, 09:18 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by FLiP Sp33d
Or you could use the same color code and buy it direct from a Toyota dealer--same color, same paint, but for around $5.
Old 04-06-04, 04:19 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

that's true SeattleGS... I did the same thing and pocketed the difference.