Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leatherique vs Leather Therapy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 04:37 PM
srg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherique vs Leather Therapy

Just ran across a leather restoration/conditioner, Leather Therapy Restorer. It's an oily liquid product much like Leatherique. It's applied the same way and works great!!

My SC seats were very dry. Some panels were like stiff board and some were wrinkled like prunes. I used two applications of the restorer and it softened the leather up to almost new. The only thing it didn't do was to fill cracks and blemishes.

The company claims that in tests done on the product that it actually strengthens the leather fibers by as much as 60%!

I'm stoked. It can be found in saddle and feed shops everywhere so no need to order online.

Has anyone used this stuff? Very similar to Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil.
Old 04-08-04, 11:21 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Where did you buy it from? My seats are like cardboard too, I would really like to soften them up.
Old 04-08-04, 05:40 PM
srg
Rookie

Default re: leather therapy

You can get Leather Therapy Restorer at most equestrian, saddle or feed supply shops. They also make a cleaner and a filler.

http://www.leathertherapy.com/
Old 04-14-04, 05:22 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to check this Leather Therapy out. I spent $70 last summer on the Leatherique kit, and got pretty good results after about 6 applications. If I can find this stuff at a local store, I'll definitely give it a try before I spend the $ on Leatherique.
Old 04-15-04, 09:50 AM
srg
Rookie

Leather Therapy definitely works.

I've applied about three coats now over the past two weeks and I'm back to really soft new condition. My seats were severly damaged especially the top of the back seats.

$ 15 for a bottle. Takes a little longer for it to absorb than Leatherique but worth it and you can get it at any feed store or horse supply shop.

Incidently, for people looking for Lexol products, these places all carry that as well (in gallon sizes, etc.).
Old 04-15-04, 06:03 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by srg
Leather Therapy definitely works.

I've applied about three coats now over the past two weeks and I'm back to really soft new condition. My seats were severly damaged especially the top of the back seats.

$ 15 for a bottle. Takes a little longer for it to absorb than Leatherique but worth it and you can get it at any feed store or horse supply shop.

Incidently, for people looking for Lexol products, these places all carry that as well (in gallon sizes, etc.).
The phrase "top of the back seats" has got me very interested. I've tried everything from Leatherique to Connolly Hide Food, and still am not making much progress on the top of the rear bench (black exterior with black leather--extremely hot in the sun).
Old 04-15-04, 07:59 PM
srg
Rookie

I've got a '95 SC that has probably never had the leather seats treated. After 3 separate applications of Leather Therapy and a couple with Connolly Hide Food, the leather is really much much better. You can see the wrinkled panels / areas are now puffy and hydrated. They were just dry, rough and stiff.

Also, I've noticed that Lexus used heavier gauged panels in some areas such as thigh bolsters and side bolsters. The seating and back panels are much smoother and not as thick. Same with the back seats. The back top, middle and side panels are more heavy duty than the body seating areas..very interesting.

I may be wrong on this but that's the way they appear. Anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 04-17-04, 12:01 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by srg
Also, I've noticed that Lexus used heavier gauged panels in some areas such as thigh bolsters and side bolsters. The seating and back panels are much smoother and not as thick. Same with the back seats. The back top, middle and side panels are more heavy duty than the body seating areas..very interesting.

I may be wrong on this but that's the way they appear. Anyone have any ideas about this? [/B]
I agree. The side bolsters on the rear bench of my ES feel especially thick (most likely due to expected wear of people sliding across them when sitting down.